The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DBX 500 Series?
Old 2nd September 2016
  #271
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I believe the same deal is for the stock units, and the mods are $100 more for the pair. Still a great deal either way.

Has anyone used the one's with the Burr Brown mod? I'd be more inclined to go that route.
If you want to hear for yourself, the Revive Audio website has some before and after sound clips. They do a little more than just the op amp swap though.
Old 2nd September 2016
  #272
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I believe the same deal is for the stock units, and the mods are $100 more for the pair. Still a great deal either way.

Has anyone used the one's with the Burr Brown mod? I'd be more inclined to go that route.

Yes -- I confirmed what you wrote above. The deal ZenPro is offering on stock units is identical to that at Sweetwater, who are also offering stock units. The Burr Brown mod is $50 more per unit as you said.

There is a clip of the modded 560A vs. the standard on a whole mix in the ZenPro Clipalator. I did prefer the mod sound on cursory listen. Would also love to hear from people who have the 560A already with the mod, or from people who have heard the 560A both with and without the mod.

But I am expecting to buy a pair with the mod this weekend because as monkeyxx said -- even with the mod -- it is two hardware channels for the price of a plugin.
Old 8th September 2016
  #273
My pair just came today. So far so good! These comps are way easy to use, and offer great control and punch. Made my kick really snappy and my snare had a nice crack. Can't wait to try them on more sources. 199 for a pair is a steal!
Old 8th September 2016
  #274
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Glad I got the deal while it was there.

I just installed mine today and used on a minimal acid track. My bass and kick were just slammin' and snappin' from the DBX treatment, now I remember why I love these things! To my ear they are well suited for dialing in aggressive, exciting sounds. This pair is (finally) going to stay.
Old 8th September 2016
  #275
Lives for gear
 
old ghost's Avatar
 

I've had my eye on those for awhile but have to buy another lunchbox. My 160x sits idle as it has this weird intermittent crackle and I can't find anyone to repair it for a decent amount.

Sucks though cause I miss that sound. Not everyone's cup of tea but I like that sound on guitars and vocals as well besides the classic kick and snare thing.
Old 8th September 2016
  #276
Gear Maniac
 
CEG85's Avatar
 

Any of you guys try out the 530 eq.
Curious to see how you guys like it.
Old 8th September 2016
  #277
Haven't tried the eq, but I did stick the comps on mix bus today! I had to be very gentle with them, but I really liked how they kinda pull the music forward. On certain tunes I could definitely see these being used at mixdown time. I don't know what took me so long to start messing with these things!
Old 8th September 2016
  #278
Has anyone found use for the 560's infinity plus ratios? Just curious, are there any utilitarian applications you might want it for or just for deliberate pumping effects?
Old 8th September 2016
  #279
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEG85 View Post
Any of you guys try out the 530 eq.
Curious to see how you guys like it.
I have (4)530 eq's, 2 560 comps and a deesser. The 530's,imo, are a steal at that price. Funny, I don't hear much about them on the net but they sound very good. I normally use them for tracks I want to push through/out the mix.
Old 9th September 2016
  #280
Gear Maniac
 
CEG85's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
I have (4)530 eq's, 2 560 comps and a deesser. The 530's,imo, are a steal at that price. Funny, I don't hear much about them on the net but they sound very good. I normally use them for tracks I want to push through/out the mix.
Nice!
Glad to hear you like them.
I was looking for a simple, clean Eq.
I think the 530 will fit the bill nicely.
Old 9th September 2016
  #281
Lives for gear
 
Hansest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEG85 View Post
Any of you guys try out the 530 eq.
Curious to see how you guys like it.
i have two recapped 950 eq´s. I don´t know if the 530 have anything to do with them, i would think they would be at least inspired in them. I like them on toms, and have used them in some sub reverb or delay returns to shape them a little, but the highs are a bit harsh, so i would never, ever use them in vox or acoustic guitar, or drum overs. They are not used much. In contrast, the 902 de-essers (i got 3) are the best i´ve ever heard, and gets used in every mix. The 906 flanger-doubler is great also. The expander gates get used also to kill noise on parallel distortion returns when no signal is passing, and they work as expected. When the 900 where cheap, it was a steal. I got my 900 rack and modules really cheap (except the flanger). Recapped and enjoy


Old 10th September 2016
  #282
Hows the 580 preamp? I need something with a nice sterile DI for reamping guitars, the API, SCA, Pacifica are too coloured.
Old 14th September 2016
  #283
Lives for gear
 
Hansest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_jumper View Post
Hows the 580 preamp? I need something with a nice sterile DI for reamping guitars, the API, SCA, Pacifica are too coloured.
nice and sterile are two adjectives i would not put in the same phrase. Maybe nice and transparent, but sterile ? Api and Pacifica sound very good, and i sincerely doubt the dbx can outperform them in ANY way. IMHO
Old 14th September 2016
  #284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansest View Post
nice and sterile are two adjectives i would not put in the same phrase. Maybe nice and transparent, but sterile ? Api and Pacifica sound very good, and i sincerely doubt the dbx can outperform them in ANY way. IMHO
Where mics are involved? I agree 110%, they are worth the dollars. The kemper DI nearly always fairs better than one caught out of the DIs in the high end pres for what I'm doing with DIs, which is usually Metalcore. The Transformer pres are too heavy and even sometimes muddy. Im getting the DBX580 eventually for catching DI signals paralell too the amp. Im hoping its as good as the saffire pro and the kemper for the job.
Old 14th September 2016
  #285
Lives for gear
 
Hansest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_jumper View Post
Where mics are involved? I agree 110%, they are worth the dollars. The kemper DI nearly always fairs better than one caught out of the DIs in the high end pres for what I'm doing with DIs, which is usually Metalcore. The Transformer pres are too heavy and even sometimes muddy. Im getting the DBX580 eventually for catching DI signals paralell too the amp. Im hoping its as good as the saffire pro and the kemper for the job.
try the Avedis MD7
Old 19th September 2016
  #286
Lives for gear
 
Sofa King's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansest View Post
nice and sterile are two adjectives i would not put in the same phrase. Maybe nice and transparent, but sterile ? Api and Pacifica sound very good, and i sincerely doubt the dbx can outperform them in ANY way. IMHO
I have the preamp, EQ, compressor, sub synth, and de esser.
I think they all are strong tools regardless of price, but if you factor in the price point, theyre no brainers.

Regrading the mic amp, I wouldnt call it clean/ pure like my millennia, and it isnt colored like my Neves. I think its somewhere in between, somewhat like my Summit TPA.

hope that helps.

best,
Sean
Old 19th September 2016
  #287
Gear Maniac
 

Got my first Series 500 chassis and modules. I went with the DBX 530 and 560A(pair) for cost. Have not had a lot of time to spend with these things yet but I like what I am hearing. However, I mostly am just recording some keyboard stuff. Have yet to try it on recording guitars.
Old 20th September 2016
  #288
Lives for gear
 
depulse's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael cleary View Post
Yikes, 100.00 each? I already have 3 of them but this is almost too good to pass up....
dbx 560A Pair Compressor/Limiter | Sweetwater.com
100 dollars, cheapest I found in Europe is 260 Euros. Lucky you.
Old 20th September 2016
  #289
Gear Addict
 

dang it I missed this sale again???
Old 20th September 2016
  #290
Gear Maniac
Sale still up on ZenPro site. I picked up a modded pair from him. Have not gotten to hook them up yet though.
Old 21st September 2016
  #291
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecMyWorld View Post
Sale still up on ZenPro site. I picked up a modded pair from him. Have not gotten to hook them up yet though.
Thanks! I grabbed a pair last night!!
Old 27th September 2016
  #292
Lives for gear
 
ChaosCreation's Avatar
 

just getting into the LUNCHBOX again.... have a ma5 and md7 coming how does everyone like the 560a, dbx compressor mostly for vocals on those two mic pres? I want to make sure to preserve the creamy of the MA5.... does it not alter sound tone to much? I would love a 500 series compressor so it will be more travel friendly
Old 27th September 2016
  #293
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
I think maybe the 560A loses a little bass compared to the ancienct 160 VU stuff, that might be the main difference, but I love the character of these compressors. For $200 a pair it's a no-brain question for me. My favorite plugin equivalent is probably the Native Instruments/Softube VC 160 but I still prefer the hardware a little. It's just a little more exciting.
Old 29th December 2016
  #294
Lives for gear
 
Salty James's Avatar
How about these DBX 500 series in an API rack?
People got experience with that. Considering loading these things into an API rack, then later a 1608!!
Old 29th December 2016
  #295
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty James View Post
How about these DBX 500 series in an API rack?
People got experience with that. Considering loading these things into an API rack, then later a 1608!!
I've got mine in an API 500V. The compressors work great, the de-esser is acting funny on and off so I'm sending it back for an exchange, probably a fluke.
Old 29th December 2016
  #296
Lives for gear
 
Salty James's Avatar
Thinking that it would be a cheap way to load up a 1608. Seriously wanting a bigger analog mixer.
Old 12th May 2017
  #297
Lives for gear
 

Any more thoughts on the 580 preamp?

Has anyone tried the 540 tube pre or the 570 variable Z pre?

Looking for one or two pres that won't break the bank and won't sound cheap for some drums duties (toms, room, maybe mono OH) or to run a a bass/guitar DI into. As of now, used RND 511 or the Audient 880 are looking good. I really don't want to have to sync another clock though.

Thanks
Old 15th May 2017
  #298
Lives for gear
 

Any other experiences with the preamps? 580, 540, 570?
Old 3rd July 2017
  #299
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I think maybe the 560A loses a little bass compared to the ancienct 160 VU stuff, that might be the main difference, but I love the character of these compressors. For $200 a pair it's a no-brain question for me. My favorite plugin equivalent is probably the Native Instruments/Softube VC 160 but I still prefer the hardware a little. It's just a little more exciting.

You have any audio with the DBX 560 in use? Maybe a gentle amount on a vocal or something?
Old 3rd July 2017
  #300
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRanger View Post
You have any audio with the DBX 560 in use? Maybe a gentle amount on a vocal or something?
Nothing published at this time, sorry.

I've been ITB for the past month or so, but the previous month had 560A and hardware EQ (Lindell and dB Dawg Calrec) on everything I was doing, and it did sound really good.

To use a stupid metaphor, using the 500 hardware rack, and a Pioneer SR-101 tube spring reverb on my mixes felt like mixing with a tuxedo on. You just get this classy vibe that enhances the process, and the results.

Right now I'm focusing on getting my ITB rig to 98% of that level of quality.

It's really good to have a reference point to work from. DBX and the other stuff I mentioned is not that expensive, either.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump