The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM 2015: Akai unleashes the Timbre Wolf analog synthesizer
Old 22nd January 2015
News Desk Editor

NAMM 2015: Akai unleashes the Timbre Wolf analog synthesizer

NAMM 2015: Akai unleashes the Timbre Wolf analog synthesizer-timbrewolf_angle_10x8_media-copy.jpg

Akai Professional (akaipro.com), a leading innovator of music equipment for production and performance, today announced the introduction of their new Timbre Wolf analog synthesizer.

The Timbre Wolf is an authentic analog 4-voice polyphonic synthesizer. Configurable as 4 mono synths, a 4-voice unison or a 4-voice polysynth, Timbre Wolf includes a professional quality 25-key custom Akai Pro keybed. The user can easily customize the sound of each voice independently as they play, and there is a 32-step sequencer for each voice. An LED display and Octave +/- controls add further control and flexibility for the user.

Timbre Wolf adds a distinctive, convincing traditional voice to any musician’s repertoire of tools.

Quote:
Akai Professional Product Manager Dan Gill notes, “With our new introductions of Timbre Wolf and Tom Cat, we’ve put those classic analog synthesizer and drum machine sounds directly into the hands of today’s musicians. Our goal was to make a compact analog polyphonic synthesizer /keyboard and an analog multi-voice drum machine that easily integrate with both modern and vintage music equipment, so musicians could effortlessly bring that great analog sound into their music. That’s what these two do and the creative potential they open up is endless.”

Please visit Akai Professional at NAMM, Booth number 6700.

U.S Pricing for Timbre Wolf will be $499.

Will be available in July 2015.

Link : Akai Professional - Iconic music production gear, including the legendary MPC
Attached Thumbnails
NAMM 2015: Akai unleashes the Timbre Wolf analog synthesizer-timbrewolf_angle_1200x750_web-copy.jpg   NAMM 2015: Akai unleashes the Timbre Wolf analog synthesizer-timbrewolf_angle_10x8_media-copy.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

Very cool ! the pricing is very good too ! will be curious to see the demos . And great to see more companies doing analogue synths
Old 22nd January 2015
News Desk Editor

OP Updated!
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

Between this and the JD-XA, Gearslutz members have no reason to complain about the lack of affordable polys. Bold move, Akai!! Still no polybrute...
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

No modwheel?

wtf
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Nut

Why the hell would they give a poly-synth only 25 keys? What the hell, Akai?
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCO8 View Post
Why the hell would they give a poly-synth only 25 keys? What the hell, Akai?
Probably 'cos it can't track more than 2 octaves... Have you ever tried getting a Rhythm Wolf in tune with itself? F impossible!
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Head
Well so that's it... Everybody asked for a cheap poly and this is what happened. At a price of 500$ for 4 voices it is 125$ per voice... Now what can one expect from 125$ monosynth? Not much, I guess. And it's not like everybody was overwhelmed by the synth voice of the Rythm Wolf.
I don't think this "affordable poly" will be that useful. But I also don't really get the hype about cheap polysynths. I guess "you get what you pay for" when it comes to polysynths.
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

If it's such a same shame that their analog drumbox...I even won't have a look t it.
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

lol i hope it works out better than the rhythm wolf.... we'll see... if any sound comes out of it....
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Guru

nervously curious... I hope it's not just a port of the rhythm wolf "bass" voice x4
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

it may be, that's what I thought
Old 23rd January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
nervously curious... I hope it's not just a port of the rhythm wolf "bass" voice x4
Well, I guess you haven't seen the demo video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P8-WboRLVw
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Yep...sounds like 4 out of tune cats and would crawl in the corner and huddle from embarrassment if I were the CEO of Akai and related brands that go to die at In-Music.
Rhythm Wolf with keys...no thanks!
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

I cant believe they just put 4 synths that didn't work in the first place together ..the thing cant keep pitch same as the rhythm wolf ..I just saw a vid on sonicstate and even the guy demoing it looked embaressed .the sad thing is though it could have been good the thing looks nice,has full size keys looks well built then you hear it in action and you know its pretty much useless .
akai shouldn't release this they should go back to the drawing board and rethink it ..it would have been better off if they stole 4 monotrons and banged those in it now that would have sounded awesome in fact I don't know why korg don't do that and call it polytron.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

last time I heard a noise as bad as this was when I hit a pidgeon on the motorway.

I like the way the guy in the vid above says it his playing is bad and that's why its out of tune then looks off camera he knows its terrible and then blames it on it not being warmed up enough that's why its out of tune...but he also says it has an autotune button why doesn't he press it?ill tell you why because it doesn't work in another vid I saw he said the samething so he started to press the tune button and it didn't tune it it made it drift less for a split second then it went straight to being way out of tune again.

avoid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

That guy might be an Arturia spy/implant. He's doing a horrible job off selling this thing.
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Addict

sounds feeble...
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Addict
I imagine this synth appearing many times in the electronic music sections "most underrated synths" threads right off the get-go. It will probably also be just as regularly featured in the standardized "Worst synth of all time" threads. I personaly think it, like any synth, will have its uses and merits. Perhaps one of which being a somewhat more readily mod-able polysynth, as your not risking destroying some rare beast, and at only 4 simple voices, the circuitry itself is likely to be a lot less complex.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

This guy! The whole video he looked like he hoped the Earth would open up and swallow him.
Old 23rd January 2015
When I see gear like this I just think: garage sales are gonna be so badass in 40 years! (And I'm not being sarcastic).
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Hahahahahahaha.

That was so funny. Too many brilliant moments to mention. My favorite product demo ever.

Hahahaha.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Belatedly, I have new found respect for Jordan Rudess...
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Jesus. Akai what are you doing???

Who in their right mind would spend $499 on this?? Fair play to them for (re)entering the analog market but at least make a half decent job if it. This new range is nothing but bizarre. Is Akai the new Behringer?
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Akai is part of inmusic along with MAudio and a bunch of other brands who now have 'professional' added to their names. I finally got a refund on a Trigger Finger Pro after timing/sync issues, poisonous drivers and zero software/firmware updates in 7+ months, just a bad experience all round. Funnily enough the TFP had a ..... 32 step sequencer and a guy called Dan is their company guy on the MAudio and Akai pseudo-forums thing. Make of that what you will but I wouldn't spend a cent on this until it's very out, fixed and proven. That's my new fave product vid
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Heeehaaaa
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Head

Sounds awful. All three of these toys including Rhythm Wolf and Tom Cat sound so cheap...
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Guru

"as you can hear it needs to warm up a bit to play in tune"

oh my....

bad name, bad sound, bad features, out of tune, this is a disaster
Old 23rd January 2015
How does stuff like this happen? Surely this is a joke video!
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear
Dear Akai,
Please remake the VX600. That is a synth people would buy—well, this people anyhow. thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search