The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Songs with lead vocals not panned center
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Addict

Songs with lead vocals not panned center

Please list well-known (or somehwat) songs where the lead vocals are not up the center. Thanks!

Prince - Jack U Off
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

"Elected" by Alice Cooper. Over-the top production. I'm told that this one took a huge amount of time & effort to record & mix. Vocals are waaaay left. I dunno why.
DP
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Maniac

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Susie Q

Not only vocals but all the intruments (respectively) are panned either hard left or right but it works. One of my favorite recordings... and one of my favorite bands.

-- Adam Lazlo
Old 2nd December 2006

There must be a few Beatles songs this applies to...
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Addict

The song Level be the Raconteurs has these qualities on the vocals.

I am really loving the type of sound that they got on that CD. Old is new again!

Old 2nd December 2006
pjo
Here for the gear

there's a song by Del Amitri called "Roll To Me" that was semi-popular 10 years or so ago and is all panned out.
Old 3rd December 2006
Gear Maniac

I think the Doors had some songs with panned vocals and drums
Old 3rd December 2006
Gear Addict

"Let Down" by Radiohead In the center sometimes, but in the bridge/build I love the way Thom finishes a vocal line on one side and the next vocal line starts up onthe other side. Done very tastefully...not distracting vocals flying all over the place kind if stuff. Nigel...man he's good.
Old 3rd December 2006
I'm sure I don't have to point out that MANY pop/rock recordings of the sixties -- ESPECIALLY songs recorded to be singles -- were originally intended to be mono [despite the fact that there was nothing to stop a stereo phono from playing a stereo 45 rpm record, there were PRECIOUS few stereo 45 rpm singles until the late 70s and 80s] and were typically subsequently "remixed for stereo" for inclusion on stereo LPs.

Separate mono and stereo versions of LPs were made for a number of years because playing stereo LPs with a mono cartridge would quickly damage them.

After a while the labels conconcted the BS fantasy that they had developed a special LP technology that allowed stereo LPs to be played w/ mono cartridges without harm [like I said, complete and utter BS].

Because most big label pop in the early and mid 60s was recorded on 3 and later 4 track machines (that had been in use since the early 50s), projects were typically recorded in overdub sessions something like this:

Rhythm section (piano, guitars, bass drums) on track one.

Sweetening instruments (back up vocals, strings, horns and other add'l instruents) on two.

Lead vocals and lead instruments and misc. sweetening on track three.

There was often substantial track bouncing, as well, so if one goes back to the masters, one often finds a big stack of instruments one one or two tracks and key, critical instruments on the remaining.

Until the widespread acceptance of 8 track machines in the 70s, stereo in big productions (and the 60s was an era of big, often tricky productions) was a very tricky facet of the endeavor.

Anyhow... ask me about wind up, unamplified Victrolas some time.

heh
Old 3rd December 2006
Gear Maniac

Spoon did it a few times on their "Kill The Moonlight" album... off the top of my head I can't remember song titles, but I do remember not being crazy about the panning. I thought the rest of the production was cool, but I still like my vocals and bass in the middle...
Old 3rd December 2006
Gear Nut

Two of my fav's come to mind.

Purple Haze - Hendrix - and yes, though this is a sixties recording
I believe the pan was intentional. Can't think of a song where the vocal
not being centered - works better.

And, this may not be what you have in mind since the vocals are double tracked
and panned hard L/R but The Clash's - Train in Vain - has always been a recording
I loved, due in part to the pan.
Old 3rd December 2006
Gear Head

There are a few songs on the new Incubus album that have vocals panned off to the side. Only in certain parts though.

BTW....This album is Amazing!
Old 3rd December 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo View Post
there's a song by Del Amitri called "Roll To Me" that was semi-popular 10 years or so ago and is all panned out.
ugh tell me about it. i LOVE that song...and i dont know why. the only problem is that its SO PANNED OUT! its such a bother.
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

Boston frequently did this
Old 3rd December 2006
Gear Addict

Leadbelly.
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but interesting: When John Lennon produced his own solo projects, he double-tracked his vocals and panned them left and right, around 25% ea. L & R. When Phil Spector produced Lennon solo projects, he put one vocal track center.
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Yeah, quite a few. I was checking out "A Day in the Life" last week. Lennon is panned hard left and then hard right after the Paul bit.
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude View Post
I was checking out "A Day in the Life" last week. Lennon is panned hard left and then hard right after the Paul bit.
Actually he drifts from left to center during the first verse, then drifts right during "but I just had to look" in the second verse.

Even some late Beatles stuff, like Savoy Truffle and Here comes the Sun, have the lead vocal hard panned.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Guru

I noticed this in a song recently, but I forget which. Something I've heard a million times. Maybe something by The Who. Anyway, bump for more examples.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

Cracker - Loser
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Yeah, John Lennon's lead vocal is panned hard right in the chorus of Happiness Is A Warm Gun, and the backup vocals are hard left.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

Lots and lots of beatles songs. The stereo version of Elanor Rigby starts on one side and slowly pans to the other over the course of the song. (I feel sorry for the guy who had to do that durring mixdown!)
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

Extreme.... There is No God, off of Waiting for the Punchline. The song Naked is also panned hard left. There are actually quite a few left side vocals on this album...
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

Cool It Down by The Velvet Underground. Two vox panned L&R, though the right one seems to dominate at about 2 o'clock.
Old 27th February 2013
And there's always the Velvet Underground's "The Murder Mystery," which is hard panned for maximum madness.
Old 27th February 2013
Deleted User
"Diggin on you" by TLC. The vocals aren't exactly panned, but super wide during the verses. They are double tracked (one panned left and one panned right), and the chorus has a bunch of background vocal tracks stacked in the center. Awesome sound and "fresh" sound
Old 23rd November 2017
Here for the gear

Must first post ever here.
Space Oddity with David Bowie, the vocals are panned left and right. Prince Pop Life, vocals on one side and the delay on the other.
Two more recent examples are The Lemon Twigs’ These Words (left and right) and Emitt Rhodes’ song I Can’t Tell My Heart (in the middle during the verse and left and right in the chorus).
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield74 View Post
Prince Pop Life, vocals on one side and the delay on the other.
Beat me to it on this one. Only I don't think the signals are hard panned. I remember them sounding like maybe 10 & 2 o'clock.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search