The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avantone Pro Abbey
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
If you don't mind us asking, what speakers were you coming from?

I find that all speakers depend on the room. How is your room?
I think I mentioned all this earlier, but my previous set was a pair of Yorkvilles, which I love but obviously aren't in the same bracket as the Abbeys. My room is pretty good. It's a basement with carpet and suspended ceiling, with bass traps in the corners, at the wall/ceiling corner behind the speakers, and at the early reflection points. It's not perfect, but in sweeping through the frequency spectrum I don't hear any major peaks or nulls.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl View Post
I think I mentioned all this earlier, but my previous set was a pair of Yorkvilles, which I love but obviously aren't in the same bracket as the Abbeys. My room is pretty good. It's a basement with carpet and suspended ceiling, with bass traps in the corners, at the wall/ceiling corner behind the speakers, and at the early reflection points. It's not perfect, but in sweeping through the frequency spectrum I don't hear any major peaks or nulls.
Did you have the YSM-1s? I mixed on those some years back and most of my mixes came out with way to much top end over say 5K. They were pretty dark.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Yeah, YSM-1p. My mixes tended to be harsh as well. I really like them for listening, though. Now I’ve got them connected to my CD and record players, and they’re great for that.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
You didn't inspect them in case something happened during shipping? I don't know how it works over in the USA but here in Australia you literally have 24 hours and if your speakers are damaged during shipping and you haven't reported it within a day you are ****ed - you have no recourse. I think Australia is really pretty backwards with a lot of things so I'm not at all surprised. At least we have a good welfare system

Back on topic. I just spoke to someone who was able to compare the Abbeys to some of Focal's finest monitors and the Neumann KH310s.

The Abbey beat all 2 way boxes he has ever heard, but sure enough it was thoroughly beaten by Focal's 3 way boxes and was beaten a bit by the KH310s too. The KH310s were more accurate but the Abbey held its own and was just about as detailed.

And he said -literally- "there is NO better monitor for the money than the Avantone Abbey. Simple as that."

Interesting...well, you get what you pay for I guess.
Good point about possible damage although my sales engineer is the best, at least he has been. I’m gonna pop them out and run some audio through them tonight.
Everyone who has them really loves them. I have to make some room for them. Can’t wait.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl View Post
For the first time ever I can hear 2-3 dB EQ adjustments, and not only that but it’s dramatic, which makes me think I’ve been over-EQing all along. The other thing is that I’m hardly ever surprised at how the mixes sound on different speakers, which is a very welcome change to my usual shock and horror.

I've been using these for over a year now. You can hear 1/4 dB adjustments fairly easily. There is so much detail in the mids that it makes correcting issues a breeze!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

No clipping here with a set of V2's. Not sure about this creative vibe thing you're describing. They are a very modern sounding speaker. The extended highs are something to get used to mixing for sure. If you mean they can help you make creative decisions better due to them being very clinical, then yes I agree Not many surprises about mixes no translating now. Between them and other set, KEF Q100 + Rotel 991+Monoprice 10" sub+DBX223xs, I have it covered now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
They have a very inviting tone that inspires creativity. that’s the best I can do. I was actually told not to buy them by the rep, but I wanted to try anyways, and I was surprised, so not everyone shares my enthusiasm or vibe for them. Like I said before, they clipped so early that I returned the first pair. When they sent me the second same thing happened so def demo it. Might not be for you
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Seal View Post
No clipping here with a set of V2's. Not sure about this creative vibe thing you're describing
Understandably so. monitors are personal. Also had two sets of v2. It def doesnt have a clinical sound, but they allow you to make precise eq moves except I had a hard time in the 2k+ region kept reverting to ns10s till what I was working on sounded right. That region felt really recessed. Very inspiring speakers tho.. extended smooth airy highs and full mids down to lows.

Last edited by JblKid95; 2 days ago at 02:28 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search