The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avantone Pro Abbey
Old 3 weeks ago
MJB
Lives for gear

Try Alto Music, there's a chance they may have them. The Abbey's are impressive. Perfect, well of course not.. but IME, you'd have to spend $3,500 to beat them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Try Alto Music, there's a chance they may have them. The Abbey's are impressive. Perfect, well of course not.. but IME, you'd have to spend $3,500 to beat them.
Curious to know what the $3500 would be spent on...
Old 3 weeks ago
MJB
Lives for gear

Barefoot Footprints. Or maybe the ATC's with the power amp.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Barefoot Footprints. Or maybe the ATC's with the power amp.
Footprints might beat it, but you lose the vibe
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
Footprints might beat it, but you lose the vibe
I thought Abbeys were pretty accurate from a few guys who own a pair but of course the best way to judge them is to listen to them in my own room.

I don't know what sort of vibe they have. Can you describe it?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
I thought Abbeys were pretty accurate from a few guys who own a pair but of course the best way to judge them is to listen to them in my own room.

I don't know what sort of vibe they have. Can you describe it?
They have a very inviting tone that inspires creativity. that’s the best I can do. I was actually told not to buy them by the rep, but I wanted to try anyways, and I was surprised, so not everyone shares my enthusiasm or vibe for them. Like I said before, they clipped so early that I returned the first pair. When they sent me the second same thing happened so def demo it. Might not be for you
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
They have a very inviting tone that inspires creativity. that’s the best I can do. I was actually told not to buy them by the rep, but I wanted to try anyways, and I was surprised, so not everyone shares my enthusiasm or vibe for them. Like I said before, they clipped so early that I returned the first pair. When they sent me the second same thing happened so def demo it. Might not be for you
If they clip so early might it not be distortion you were hearing that makes them so vibey? In which case that wouldn’t actually be in any of your mixes once they were played on a different system?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Mine don’t clip at low volumes. I’ve never used them at high enough volumes to actually distort.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
If they clip so early might it not be distortion you were hearing that makes them so vibey? In which case that wouldn’t actually be in any of your mixes once they were played on a different system?
I have no idea. When I played back the tracks I did on them on the trio 6 I have now, I only needed to do minor tweaking in the highs, high mids and some spacial balances. You know 6k monitors to 2k type deal. Also played them on scm45a as well. I Didn’t notice crazy weakness anywhere really for 2k monitors. Trios have that type of vibe but on a grand scale, so I understood my thought process when I had the abbeys
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I always thought Focal are generally highly accurate monitors. I am also considering the Solo 6 BE.

I wonder if the Solo6BE is any better than the Abbeys though? Someone else is saying the need to spend $3500 to beat the Abbeys.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl View Post
Mine don’t clip at low volumes. I’ve never used them at high enough volumes to actually distort.
That’s true they don’t distort with all genres. I listen to a lot of 808 driven music... this didn’t get to 90 without going out. The vibe is there at low level. It’s almost like this giant Vinyl tape sound with a big low end. It’s not luxurious or depthful like the trios but but it’s also not hard to figure out either. They kinda sound like they look
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of pulling the trigger on these.

I've heard about them being the hidden gem of studio monitors. Like the secret that no one knows much about. Like a mystical thing that people have heard of but have never seen.

Hope they are available to demo in my place. I'll be right pissed if I can't find any.
Whichever monitors you pick, make sure they sound great but equally importantly, pick a monitor that you can easily get serviced later on .. say 3 years down the line.

For example, when the Sonodyne SRPs came out there was a lot of hype around them and believe me, they sound amazing, a lot better than similarly priced monitors. But then one day they disappeared from online shops.

You will get good sound for under a 1000$.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
That’s true they don’t distort with all genres. I listen to a lot of 808 driven music... this didn’t get to 90 without going out. The vibe is there at low level. It’s almost like this giant Vinyl tape sound with a big low end. It’s not luxurious or depthful like the trios but but it’s also not hard to figure out either. They kinda sound like they look
hi

this does not sound normal. we pm'ed you. thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddistribution View Post
hi

this does not sound normal. we pm'ed you. thanks!
Didn’t get a pm from you. They simply don’t go loud on 808 material, but they sound great. 2 different pairs, black and white brand new. Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Curious to know. Get to 90.. what? DBA or DBC? Did they distort or did they stop putting out audio? Are we talking some monstrously bass heavy stuff? They spec about the same as the Trios for max output. I wonder if it's the Claas D amps clipping differently
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
Curious to know. Get to 90.. what? DBA or DBC? Did they distort or did they stop putting out audio? Are we talking some monstrously bass heavy stuff? They spec about the same as the Trios for max output. I wonder if it's the Claas D amps clipping differently
Yeah that’s why I bought them in the first place, and was confused. They don’t go anywhere as loud as my trios. For my listening I could never Max the trios. I don’t know whatever is on my phone app. 90db. For example MIGOS culture 2 album. The 808 would fart at 90. Not all but obviously something like Kodak black “tunnel vision”
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah that’s why I bought them in the first place, and was confused. They don’t go anywhere as loud as my trios. For my listening I could never Max the trios. I don’t know whatever is on my phone app. 90db. For example MIGOS culture 2 album. The 808 would fart at 90. Not all but obviously something like Kodak black “tunnel vision”
OK I see. That's like a 35 - 40 Hz sine wave in the deep bass. That'll push any system to reproduce. They both spec down to 35 Hz but Avantones spec is vague "Accesible musical range" which is a meaningless spec compared to Focals real spec +/- 3dB down to 35Hz.

For that kind of music i would almost always recommend a dedicated sub for hearing the car shaker frequencies unless you have the room for much bigger cabinet monitors. I think the bigger cabinet of the Trios is what's probably getting that sub bass happening at a level you like.

Probably not an issue for different musical styles and needs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK I see. That's like a 35 - 40 Hz sine wave in the deep bass. That'll push any system to reproduce. They both spec down to 35 Hz but Avantones spec is vague "Accesible musical range" which is a meaningless spec compared to Focals real spec +/- 3dB down to 35Hz.

For that kind of music i would almost always recommend a dedicated sub for hearing the car shaker frequencies unless you have the room for much bigger cabinet monitors. I think the bigger cabinet of the Trios is what's probably getting that sub bass happening at a level you like.

Probably not an issue for different musical styles and needs.
Haha or get speakers as big as the trios. I’d probably guess it’s the 6inch woofers compared to trios 8. The avantones are huge, maybe even heavier than trios. I think the trio is only taller because of how it’s set compared to a side fire setup. The abbeys do go really low and sound great there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Haha or get speakers as big as the trios. I’d probably guess it’s the 6inch woofers compared to trios 8. The avantones are huge, maybe even heavier than trios. I think the trio is only taller because of how it’s set compared to a side fire setup. The abbeys do go really low and sound great there.
Yeah, pretty much. The abbeys are about 72% the cabinet volume as the Trios, between that extra volume and the larger woofer Trios get that just enough extra down there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I wonder how the Abbeys would compare to the Focal SM9s in terms of imaging and depth of soundstage? I know Focal are known for their pretty refined sound but I am yet to hear anyone mention how well the SM9s image and present depth to the soundstage especially the phantom center.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much. The abbeys are about 72% the cabinet volume as the Trios, between that extra volume and the larger woofer Trios get that just enough extra down there.
Lyd 48 way louder as well but 8inch woofer and very small size. I really think the abbeys are longer or deeper than the trios. Did you check the measurements?
@ barbital For one the sm9 go louder and obviously come with all the perks of being 3 times as expensive, no real comparison with speakers above 4k. All speakers in that bracket have killing imaging..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Lyd 48 way louder as well but 8inch woofer and very small size. I really think the abbeys are longer or deeper than the trios. Did you check the measurements?
@ barbital For one the sm9 go louder and obviously come with all the perks of being 3 times as expensive, no real comparison with speakers above 4k. All speakers in that bracket have killing imaging..
Yeah i got the cabinet volume from the specs on their websites.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
So I just bought a set of these. Will inform and send pics when I receive them!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond117 View Post
So I just bought a set of these. Will inform and send pics when I receive them!
Dope would like to hear your thoughts. Thinking about getting them again, since I’ve been having a lot of luck with the jbl 104..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Dope would like to hear your thoughts. Thinking about getting them again, since I’ve been having a lot of luck with the jbl 104..
Would you believe I'm still waiting? The black color I believe is made to order nowadays. Should be here within the week...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond117 View Post
Would you believe I'm still waiting? The black color I believe is made to order nowadays. Should be here within the week...
It’s worth the wait. I actually preferred the white one. Had a vintage feel. What speakers are you coming from?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

For what it’s worth I still like mine a lot. I guess it’s true that they don’t go as loud as you might expect for a speaker that size, but at low and moderate volumes they’re excellent (I don’t think I mix at much higher than 70dB in my room.)

For the first time ever I can hear 2-3 dB EQ adjustments, and not only that but it’s dramatic, which makes me think I’ve been over-EQing all along. The other thing is that I’m hardly ever surprised at how the mixes sound on different speakers, which is a very welcome change to my usual shock and horror.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl View Post
For what it’s worth I still like mine a lot. I guess it’s true that they don’t go as loud as you might expect for a speaker that size, but at low and moderate volumes they’re excellent (I don’t think I mix at much higher than 70dB in my room.)

For the first time ever I can hear 2-3 dB EQ adjustments, and not only that but it’s dramatic, which makes me think I’ve been over-EQing all along. The other thing is that I’m hardly ever surprised at how the mixes sound on different speakers, which is a very welcome change to my usual shock and horror.
If you don't mind us asking, what speakers were you coming from?

I find that all speakers depend on the room. How is your room?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

So much praise for these monitors, I bought a pair. Sweetwater had a demo set so I just received them a few days ago. Haven't taken them out the box yet. Got to get some more stands. I have a small room, about 14x11 and about 7 ft ceiling. I'm using Dynaudio BM5A's with Sonarworks atm, and I feel I could use a 2nd set. Gonna set these up sometime this week. Damn I hope these monitors are the truth in my room.

Will report back when I set them up.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
So much praise for these monitors, I bought a pair. Sweetwater had a demo set so I just received them a few days ago. Haven't taken them out the box yet. Got to get some more stands. I have a small room, about 14x11 and about 7 ft ceiling. I'm using Dynaudio BM5A's with Sonarworks atm, and I feel I could use a 2nd set. Gonna set these up sometime this week. Damn I hope these monitors are the truth in my room.

Will report back when I set them up.
You didn't inspect them in case something happened during shipping? I don't know how it works over in the USA but here in Australia you literally have 24 hours and if your speakers are damaged during shipping and you haven't reported it within a day you are ****ed - you have no recourse. I think Australia is really pretty backwards with a lot of things so I'm not at all surprised. At least we have a good welfare system

Back on topic. I just spoke to someone who was able to compare the Abbeys to some of Focal's finest monitors and the Neumann KH310s.

The Abbey beat all 2 way boxes he has ever heard, but sure enough it was thoroughly beaten by Focal's 3 way boxes and was beaten a bit by the KH310s too. The KH310s were more accurate but the Abbey held its own and was just about as detailed.

And he said -literally- "there is NO better monitor for the money than the Avantone Abbey. Simple as that."

Interesting...well, you get what you pay for I guess.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search