The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avantone Pro Abbey
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quick question guys; how's the base of the Abbeys? Does Avantone provide a padded surface for decoupling the monitors at the base, like they do on the Mixcubes? And if they do, would you guys advise using pads or some form of decoupling, like the Sorbothane Hemispheres?
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

It's padded, but for extra measure I have them sitting on Auralex Mo Pads. Personally, I think the pads would be better because of spreading the weight over a greater area. I have never used Sorbothane Hemispheres, so I could be wrong. With this combo I haven't detected any resonances caused by vibration from the mixing board when the Abbey's are playing. Nice and clean, well if the recording is...LOL
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Seal View Post
It's padded, but for extra measure I have them sitting on Auralex Mo Pads. Personally, I think the pads would be better because of spreading the weight over a greater area. I have never used Sorbothane Hemispheres, so I could be wrong. With this combo I haven't detected any resonances caused by vibration from the mixing board when the Abbey's are playing. Nice and clean, well if the recording is...LOL
Thank you.

Well, the thing about the Hemispheres is that they won't work in addition to the pads that come with them, like the isolation foam, because the Hemispheres would be taller than the built-in pads. However, the Hemispheres provide absolutely excellent isolation.

Thanks again. I'll play around with these options when I get my Abbeys. That won't be soon, but nothing will stop me from buying these monitors.
Old 2nd March 2018
Here for the gear

thanks a million I'm gonna try the Abbeys before i jump out the window on the Barefoot model-Footprints for $4000 with stands though . Sweetwater here I come..!
Old 1st April 2018
Do they have some DSP ADA stage or they are pure analog?
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

I think the abbeys had small revision as the first batch hasn't ideal freq response I've heard but they fixed it.At some point they was selling a lot cheaper.
Old 27th April 2018
It would be interesting to hear a comparison between these and the JBL 705P which have exactly the same MSRP but very different design approaches.
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Just got off the phone with Avantone. They stated that ALL 1st batch of the monitors were recalled and that there should be none circulating out and about. Only difference between 2nd and 3rd batch are the indented gain knobs, voicing is the same. For the price I paid, I will gladly level match. Between my KEF system and these, I'll be good for awhile.
Old 27th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Seal View Post
Just got off the phone with Avantone. They stated that ALL 1st batch of the monitors were recalled and that there should be none circulating out and about. Only difference between 2nd and 3rd batch are the indented gain knobs, voicing is the same. For the price I paid, I will gladly level match. Between my KEF system and these, I'll be good for awhile.
So, the 3rd batch has indented gain controls and the 2nd batch doesn't?
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
So, the 3rd batch has indented gain controls and the 2nd batch doesn't?
That is correct
Old 21st March 2019
Here for the gear

I just picked up a set of these the other day for a decent price (I guess they were B-stock). My room is set up with bass traps to fix the sound at the listening position only, and the dimensions of the Abbeys meant that I had to rearrange some things, so I'm still in that process.

A couple of things I've noted so far:
  • There's a ton of detail. Music that I'm used to sounds very different than I'm used to. I do get the sense that I'd be able to make more accurate mixing decisions on a more minute scale, but I also feel as though it might be easier to get overwhelmed by it. Time'll tell, I guess.
  • In doing sine wave sweeps to try and fix some room modes, I noticed that on one of the monitors there's a kind of vibration at around 40 Hz that can be heard from behind the speaker, as though it were coming out the XLR jack. Kinda weird, probably not a big deal, but something to watch out for.
  • They're fairly hissy, though I don't think it'll bother me over the long run.
  • They don't sound exceptionally bassy, especially for having subs. With those sine wave sweeps you can definitely hear them working down to 35 Hz or so, but in normal playback I didn't feel as though I was getting a ton of it. That might be a good thing

Overall I'm cautiously impressed. They're pretty expensive, and I think the price is making me hesitate a bit. I bought these over Adam A7Xs and Focal Shapes because I preferred them in the store, but I'm not convinced they're $700 better yet. Fortunately I have 30 days to return them.

It's also odd that there's still next to zero information on these online. They're obviously being manufactured, but they're practically ghosts otherwise.
Old 21st March 2019
MJB
Lives for gear

What your probably not used to is really hearing the mix and not just the music. It's not a subtle distinction. I heard things I couldn't hear on my Adam A7X's. They weren't even in the same league as the Abbey.

There is plenty of high end here too, despite the tremendous amount of bass for their size. It will help you make better mixes, but will also reveal hiss in your plug-ins or electronics. You do want to hear that though. It''ll force you t find out the source and fix it.

For instance, there's a hiss knob on my UAD ATR-140 tape plug-in. I have to remember to dial it down, otherwise there's well... hiss.
Old 21st March 2019
Here for the gear

I heard hiss with no plugins or programs open while connected to my interface, but I don't think I actually disconnected the cables from the speakers to test. You're saying you get no hiss with yours?
Old 21st March 2019
MJB
Lives for gear

Hi David, I don't have them anymore or I'd check for you. I needed to sell them to pay for some medical bills.

I think as with any amplifier there will be some noise and the Abbey is no different. The question is how much, is it excessive. Since the Abbey has a very high frequency range there may also be more audible information than a typical speaker. I don't recall any excessive hiss or noise though, just a little if I stuck my ears right to the speaker.
Old 21st March 2019
Here for the gear

Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. You were literally the internet’s main champion of the Abbeys! It’s bizarre how little info there is on them and yet they continue to be produced.
Old 21st March 2019
MJB
Lives for gear

To me they were the only thing that reached toward what the small ATC and Barefoot monitors did at a much more affordable price. Perhaps Avantone will have an updated version soon so they're not promoting this as much now.
Old 21st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Hi David, I don't have them anymore or I'd check for you. I needed to sell them to pay for some medical bills.

I think as with any amplifier there will be some noise and the Abbey is no different. The question is how much, is it excessive. Since the Abbey has a very high frequency range there may also be more audible information than a typical speaker. I don't recall any excessive hiss or noise though, just a little if I stuck my ears right to the speaker.
I'm sorry to hear that MJB. I know how much you loved your Abbeys. I hope whatever medical/health issues you're experiencing are already rectified, and if not, I hope they're rectified soon and you get well.

Take care of yourself.

I still haven't purchased my Abbeys yet, but it's the only monitor that I really want, and when I have the finances to afford them, I will purchase them.

David, it's also a bit shocking to me how little there is about the Abbeys out there. There isn't much talk about them, but the little there is, has only been high praise. Hopefully MJB is right and Avantone has something special in store for them, in the near future.
Old 21st March 2019
MJB
Lives for gear

Thanks VV. I'm still suffering some breathing issues, but with some medications it will hopefully pass soon. I'd re-buy the Abbey if I could, that's how much I liked them. That's not to say I wouldn't love a Barefoot or ATC monitor, but at $3,500 the Abbey was the only affordable thing I heard that had that 3 way advantage, where you really hear what's up with the mix details and not just a blend.

Good luck in your search.
Old 21st March 2019
Quote:
Thanks VV. I'm still suffering some breathing issues, but with some medications it will hopefully pass soon. I'd re-buy the Abbey if I could, that's how much I liked them. That's not to say I wouldn't love a Barefoot or ATC monitor, but at $3,500 the Abbey was the only affordable thing I heard that had that 3 way advantage, where you really hear what's up with the mix details and not just a blend.

Good luck in your search.
$3500?
Old 21st March 2019
MJB
Lives for gear

OOPs, I was referring to the $3,500 price tag on the Barefoots. The Abbey was $1,995 I believe.
Old 24th March 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Sounds like the setup at Messe was a mess! They do go very deep in the bass, and it takes a minute to get used to monitors this size actually producing that much low end. My mixes so far have translated better than the same song mixes I did with the Yamaha monitors and the Adam A7X, so they're working nicely for me so far.

I also felt they had a much better soundstage and clearer midrange than the Presonus Scepter 8's and the Focal Alpha 80's I compared them to at a music store. The Solo 6B was impressive, but quite lean in comparison, and if you gave me the choice of either one, I'd have to think long and hard on it, but would choose the Abbeys. Sure, spend 8 grand on some ATC's, and you can top them, but that's no surprise.

What is a surprise is how pleasant they are to work with over long time periods. I'm sure most major stores have return policies, so you can probably give them a go without too much risk.

clearer mid than the Sceptre 8? damn that's impressive. i noticed you commented the Sceptres sounded scooped. that's hard to believe . maybe someone messed around with the settings on the back. Sceptres offer so much detail in the mid section that i find it hard to switch between them and both sets of my my Focals.

Last edited by miquifaye; 24th March 2019 at 02:47 AM.. Reason: forgot something.
Old 24th March 2019
Here for the gear

The midrange on the Abbeys seems accurate to me. I don’t have a lot to compare them to. The Yorkvilles that were my main monitors prior I now realize have a distinct scoop in the mids and an emphasized top end, which explains my recent mixes. I’ve only mixed for a couple hours on the Abbeys, but I feel like I can hear slight EQ and volume adjustments a lot better, and I can make decisions more confidently. I still have a few weeks to make up my mind, but I’m leaning towards keeping them.

I did manage to trace the rattle I mentioned before; it’s coming from the back panel. Once the panel’s fully in place, something in the vicinity resonates on low notes. Take it off and it disappears. I may take the monitor in to see if the tech can trace it, but in practice I haven’t noticed it (you have to be behind the speaker playing 80hz and under to hear it).
Old 24th March 2019
MJB
Lives for gear

David said, but I feel like I can hear slight EQ and volume adjustments a lot better,"

Well, there it is. The first time I heard the Abbey, I heard some really important things that weren't right in a mix I was working on. It was easy to fix once I could hear it. Before, it registered as a lock of clarity and definition.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

@ MJB or anyone with them. Looking at maybe getting a pair of these to replace my PSI's (which hopefully will be next week)

The two reviews online seem to conflict with each other. One review states they're smooth. I read this as relaxed presentation and not forward, while another states that the top end is a bit too forward and the reviewer had to trim it down. What is the overall balance of the speaker?

What is your listening distance and placement regarding walls?

I'll be using them as regular music listening speakers for my music collection as well as my production, are they enjoyable for this or too analytical?

Any other feedback from anyone else who has heard these speakers would be welcome.

It's a toss up between Abbeys, Hedd 20s, KS A200 and Lyd48s

cheers

Last edited by MarcB; 9th May 2019 at 11:03 PM..
Old 10th May 2019
Here for the gear

I don’t know what “smooth” means in the context of speakers. I’d say they sound balanced. If the recording is bright, they’ll sound bright and vice-versa. A few times I’ve listened and thought maybe they were overly bright, but other times they seemed just right, so I suspect it was my ears. I’ve been using the 1dB cut switch because of those few times, but it’s a really subtle difference, and I’m not convinced it’s necessary.

For reference, I’ve got them placed 35” from the back wall and 54” from either side wall. Floor is carpet, ceiling is 7’ suspended, and I have bass traps in the corners, at first reflection points, and the back wall.

I find them quite enjoyable to listen on, but they definitely don’t flatter a mix. I hear a lot more detail and nuance, and some mixes don’t sound as good as I used to think they did. But I see that as a positive.

I’ve done a few more mixes on them, and it’s definitely easier for me to get good results. I was using cheap Yorkvilles before, though, so I couldn’t say how they compare to higher end speakers.
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply.

I'll be using these close to the front wall so I'll probably get more bass output. Have you tried them closer to the walls?

Do they give the impression that these are larger speakers when listening to them or do they have that small mini speaker type sound?

Also I also don't play too loud. Do they sound full frequency at low volumes or do they need to be pushed in order for their bass to come across?
Old 10th May 2019
Here for the gear

In my room I found I got the most even frequency response when I put them where they are now, but I did try them close to wall, and it seemed fine. My guess would be that it depends more on the rest of your room whether or not they work next to a wall. Obviously you’ll have to hear for yourself in your own room, but I wouldn’t be too worried. You’re always going to have to adjust and adapt, anyway.

They don’t sound like mini speakers to me. They don’t sound gigantic, either, but they can certainly fill the room. I listen mostly at lower volumes, too, and there’s no issue with that. It’s nice to be able to crank it once in a while, though.

I felt a little strange buying them without a lot of information online to back up my decision, and I think that still kinda psychs me out a little bit given the cost, but if I’m honest, these are the best sounding speakers I’ve ever heard, and they’ve certainly made mixing easier.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquifaye View Post
clearer mid than the Sceptre 8? damn that's impressive. i noticed you commented the Sceptres sounded scooped. that's hard to believe . maybe someone messed around with the settings on the back. Sceptres offer so much detail in the mid section that i find it hard to switch between them and both sets of my my Focals.
Nah, Scepters are not scooped according to my ears or the analysis meter. In fact, lots of low mid information without being muddy.

They’ve done for me 80% of what PSI A21s have. Had to sell PSIs - bummer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I had them for a while. Loved them. Wish they went a louder for enjoyment. They Def clip way too soon for a speaker monsterously huge heavy and ported. They don’t need to be driven to hard though. The high mids sound recessed, but there is a specific color there that lets you know when you’ve gone too far in that area. Overall, softer sounding monitors. Super vibey and natural. Paired up with yamahas you can’t lose. I Wouldn’t buy these used.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of pulling the trigger on these.

I've heard about them being the hidden gem of studio monitors. Like the secret that no one knows much about. Like a mystical thing that people have heard of but have never seen.

Hope they are available to demo in my place. I'll be right pissed if I can't find any.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search