The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Long Distance Guitar Amp solution.....
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Guru

Long Distance Guitar Amp solution.....

Hi Guys - Guitar amp question -

My CRM is about about 50 feet (of wire - balanced XLR connectered Mogami multipair) from my CRM. I want to have a guitarist in the CRM and hook him up via the multipair to an amp in the studio. What's the best way to do this?

Will the ReAmp gear do this job? I don't know much about them. I've usually tracked the guitarist in the room with his amp. I don't want to load down the guitar pickups with the long wire run. Any words of wisdom on this would be helpful. Thanks!

Bill
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

VHT Valvulator, or Voodoo Labs Amp Switcher both buffer the signal to allow for long cable runs.
Old 2nd December 2006
Long speaker cable, its better to push than to pull. If it's a combo get an extension cab.
Plus its better to dial in the tone from the CR
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Alan smart system: http://www.smartresearch.co.uk/#SGDi

I have been using it for years. It's as close to transparent as you will ever find. I love it. You can run multiple amps off of it... use it as a DI... or all of that together.

Kinda pricey... but you couldn't pry mine from my cold dead hands... I am a VERY picky about guitar tone... especially my own.
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Guru

Thanks guys. Looks like I've got some good options to check out! Cheers,

bp
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Maniac

Radial SGI Studio Guitar Interface

Radial SGI Studio Guitar Interface

http://www.radialeng.com/re-sgi.htm

I've not used this unit but it looks like it would do the trick. For runs up to 328 ft. with drag control so the guitar acts like it's connected directlly to the amp.

I've used the Alan Smart and it works great. It's just a little pricy.
The Radial unit does basically the same thing and only cost $150.

What a deal. I'm thinking of getting at least 2.
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear
I have another suggestion, just as an alternative.

buy a good quality wireless unit.

that way for ANYTHING, including combos with hardwired speakers, you can put the amp up to 150 feet or so away.

I do it regularly.
and no, it doesn't sound as good as standing next to the amp with 10' or less of high quality cable...
but it DOES sound as good or better (and it's much easier and more flexible) than ANY of the long run, hard wire extendo solutions.
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Guru

William,

interesting idea. Never thought of that. Are you saying that a good quality wireless unit will sound better that the Radial or Little Lab solutions?

Thanks.
bp
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Didn't VH track a lot with a wireless? >I COULD BE WRONG<, but I think for a while it was considered a part of his 'sound,' even in the studio. Can anybody confirm or deny this? Regardless, I believe it was a Sony wireless and I remember him in interview remarking about the positive effect it had on the gain structure (it was 100% used live).

Listening to some '76/'77 VH right now, courtesy of a fellow GS'er who shall remain nameless. Yeah!!!

In this house of PAAAAAAIIINNNN!heh
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

I prefer the Little Labs solution instead of wireless. Haven´t heard a wireless system that doesn´t degrade the signal in some way... but I haven´t heard them all, so I might be wrong. Is there such a thing as a transparent wireless system out there?

Stein Tore
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steins View Post
Is there such a thing as a transparent wireless system out there?

Stein Tore

Well the wire is fully transparentheh
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Long speaker cable, its better to push than to pull. If it's a combo get an extension cab.
Plus its better to dial in the tone from the CR
That's what I do!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search