The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Microkorg (original) Vs Arturia Keylab 49
Old 3rd December 2014
Here for the gear

Microkorg (original) Vs Arturia Keylab 49

Hello all

I produce music using Ableton - I have a Korg Microkey APC40 and M-audio external sound card.

Im looking to expand/get a bit more control over my sound by either adding a VA synth - such as the Microkorg or Arturia Keylab 49 - which is a versatile midi controller as well as dedicated controller for the Key lab VST plugin it comes bundled with.

What i'd like to know is -

a) Am I going to get a more fuller sound from a VA synth such as the microkorg than using the ArturiaLab VST plugin with a controller?

Im just confused as to how a VST and VA synth differ, if the VST has a dedicated controller? Aren't both just performing analogue modeling?

b) Any other recommendations of gear in this price range/purpose?

I'm also not shy of secondhand equipment suggestions that may be a better option
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzybro View Post
a) Am I going to get a more fuller sound from a VA synth such as the microkorg than using the ArturiaLab VST plugin with a controller?
There definitely isn't any common sound that'd apply to all hardware VAs - and I don't think the MicroKorg sound particularly "full". One of my bands uses a MK live, but frankly I haven't really dabbled much into programming it because the interface sucks. I think nowadays its popularity is being fed by...its popularity; everyone knows the thing, even though it's not a particularly inspiring synth.

Quote:
Im just confused as to how a VST and VA synth differ, if the VST has a dedicated controller? Aren't both just performing analogue modeling?
They don't, really - except of course the hardware VA doesn't rely on the computer to be used, and has dedicated controls instead of assignable ones (the Keylab has some fixed controls for the most used ones, though).

Quote:
b) Any other recommendations of gear in this price range/purpose?

I'm also not shy of secondhand equipment suggestions that may be a better option
Do you need a keyboard? I'd probably look into 2nd hand Nord Leads and Viruses, both of which are more versatile than the MK and have far more hands-on controls.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search