The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Have a Capi vp312, and Neve 511...what next?
Old 3rd December 2014
Have a Capi vp312, and Neve 511...what next?

This is for recording vocals. I'm thinking of an Avedis MA-5, or an LA-610. Maybe even a Blue Robbie even though I hate the look. What do you think I will benefit most out of? My goal is to have a versatile sound. I feel rock/singing vocals are good through the Capi/Neve 511. I think I need a versatile pre for rap vocals now. Prefer not a 737 because I don't need the comp/eq.

Mic locker: TLM 49, TLM 102.

Suggestions?

Best,
Jason
Old 3rd December 2014
At the risk of seeming impertinent, I think I'd look at other vocal mic options, you have two very good pre's, both of which can offer some 'drive'/overdrive. The 610 would offer something slightly different [more for rock I think, some would say a little soft for rap], but a much bigger change will be found in other mic's [you have the neuman thing well covered]. Good ribbon, SM-7 or M-88, a differently voiced tube or SS LDC, etc.. Perhaps in the CK-12 area or a sE T2 even, something a little more articulate, would give you a different, audible, alternative. YMMV.

OR a 1176 variant or other aggressive/flexible compression options.

Best-
Jonathan
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
At the risk of seeming impertinent, I think I'd look at other vocal mic options, you have two very good pre's, both of which can offer some 'drive'/overdrive. The 610 would offer something slightly different [more for rock I think, some would say a little soft for rap], but a much bigger change will be found in other mic's [you have the neuman thing well covered]. Good ribbon, SM-7 or M-88, a differently voiced tube or SS LDC, etc.. Perhaps in the CK-12 area or a sE T2 even, something a little more articulate, would give you a different, audible, alternative. YMMV.

OR a 1176 variant or other aggressive/flexible compression options.

Best-
Jonathan
Thanks for your input! I'm in the beginning stages of collecting gear, I made my first purchase a year ago. I just got the TLM 49 a week ago. I do have a WA76 however, which has served me well the past year, and I am planning to get it modded by Jim W. Looking to add a RND 5043 or Brute comp.

The thing about my preamp selection, I don't think the capi and 511 handle "yelling"/harsh vocals very well...the Capi being better for that application. So I feel I need something for that!

Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Without straying from the question, I'd say the brute is a good choice for in your face vocals. Probably the closest you can get in 500 format if you're talking about "that" hip hop vocal compression sound. A 1176 might be better for other purposes (I love them), but it depends mostly on the genre and type of sources and styles that calls for.
Old 3rd December 2014
I was going to say comp or eq next. I love the brute. A good pair with your 76.
Maybe get a second of your favorite pre of the 2...
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigziglar View Post
Without straying from the question, I'd say the brute is a good choice for in your face vocals. Probably the closest you can get in 500 format if you're talking about "that" hip hop vocal compression sound. A 1176 might be better for other purposes (I love them), but it depends mostly on the genre and type of sources and styles that calls for.
Okay, maybe I should get the Brute. I was using the TLM 102 with the Neve 511/Capi 312, so maybe that's why the in your face vocals weren't working too well. I haven't had the chance to record any in your face vox with the TLM 49 yet...but I'm thinking it might be better suited for that. Thanks for your input!

Best,
Jason
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
I was going to say comp or eq next. I love the brute. A good pair with your 76.
Maybe get a second of your favorite pre of the 2...
You really think the Capi and Neve 511 got me covered for pres? I have a pultec clone as well as an A Designs Hammer eq...so I guess you would suggest the Brute? I do have the UAD2 plugs, although vox is the one thing that I highly prefer analog over digital.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

I'm not saying I disagree with Johnathan; a new mic would be a better choice than another pre (unless you needed more preamps specifically. No mention of a compressor in the setup though, so it would also be a good choice - so that you can level out vocals at the frontend, freeing up headroom in your sound staging and also just sounding better than any plugin etc.
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigziglar View Post
I'm not saying I disagree with Johnathan; a new mic would be a better choice than another pre (unless you needed more preamps specifically. No mention of a compressor in the setup though, so it would also be a good choice - so that you can level out vocals at the frontend, freeing up headroom in your sound staging and also just sounding better than any plugin etc.
I have a WA76, I like it for mixing but not really for tracking. Maybe adding a Brute or 5043. The reason why I'm looking for another preamp is because I just added the TLM 49 to my locker a week ago. And ya...I totally agree with analog compressors over plugin on vox...on almost everything actually.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search