The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for info on older EMTEC 900
Old 3rd December 2014
Looking for info on older EMTEC 900

Hey folks. I just inherited a bunch of used 2" tapes. Mostly Quantegy GP9 and 499. There were also two reels of EMTEC 900 in there. It's not RMG and the box and labels also don't say BASF anywhere, just EMTEC. I have my first 2" 24 track machine on the way and I am hoping that at least some of the older tape will be usable for tracking drums and bass, and maybe the occasional layback of a Pro Tools session to tape. My question has to do with the EMTEC. Does anyone have any idea how old these tapes are? I am guessing early 2000's but I can't find a date of manufacture anywhere. Will the bias settings for current RMG be the same for this EMTEC stuff I have? Can't find much info on this specific make of the formula so any info/history on EMTEC would be great.
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Addict

I'm not an expert on the history of EMTEC and its labeling, but the specs on the BASF/EMTEC Studio Master 900 and the current RMGI SM900 are essentially the same. My guess is that any version of EMTEC SM900 probably has the same spec. Perhaps the non-BASF labeled EMTEC was from just after the RMGI takeover; I think RMGI made and sold as EMTEC in 2005, until changing to RMGI labels. Also, you'd think that everything in your stash is probably about the same era. It shouldn't matter much, so long as there's no SSS and the tape isn't worn.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EMTEC_BASF_Studio_Master_900.pdf (175.8 KB, 50 views) File Type: pdf RMGI_SM_900.pdf (288.0 KB, 42 views) File Type: pdf RMGi_Emtec_equivalents.pdf (80.6 KB, 67 views)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search