The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Interface digital output noise - Doesn't sound like ground loop
Old 2nd December 2014
Here for the gear
Interface digital output noise - Doesn't sound like ground loop

I have a MOTU 8pre that just won't play ball although after taking the unit to a sound guy who charged me $50 just to look at it told me there is no issue with it at all.

I decided then that there must be an issue with my iMac so I tried using an old macbook with it but the exact same thing is occurring. The mains and headphone outputs are sending a digitally effed up version of the input. It's like the bass has been cut and the rest is just digital scramble. I've tried unplugging other gear from the mac, i've tried different firewire cables, power cables etc

So if it's not the iMac, the 8pre, the cables, what the hell is wrong? Could the guy who checked it out be a liar?? I attached an audio sample to help explain what it's doing
Attached Files

MOTU.wav (4.77 MB, 132 views)

Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Head

It's interesting... it sounds like the bitrate is weird for some reason. have you updated the drivers to its last version? If the motu has a external mixer/control take a look and see if the sample rate, bitrate, or something else is causing the problem.
Old 3rd December 2014
Here for the gear
I have updated to the most recent MOTU Audio drivers and have checked that sample rates match in DAW as well. I'm so confused as to how the "technician" found no faults.

I just opened an old session in pro tools and used the 8pre as the output with no problems at all. So it must have something to do with the inputs? Not sure how it all works
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Head

Well. yeah I am afraid the problem could be deeper than we imagine. I hope you can get it fixed mate!
Old 3rd December 2014
Here for the gear
I'm taking it and a laptop etc back to the guy that told me theres nothing wrong with it to show him exactly what is happening. Hope he has an answer because so far the only response I've received from MOTU online support was to factory reset the unit which I had already tried straight off the bat and I haven't got any other answers from searching through forums. Thanks for your help anyway Gus.
Old 4th December 2014
Here for the gear
So I figured out what I was doing wrong. The unit IS completely fine and so is all of my equipment & cables. The settings and software and drivers and everything is completely fine. Not a single thing is wrong with anything. The only thing that needs fixing is my brain. I used my iPhone as the sound source instead of plugging in a guitar or a microphone. So $50 + the amount of fuel I spent driving + the time I wasted searching for an answer was a complete waste. Bottom line is I was too lazy to grab an XLR cable and a microphone. Lesson learnt.
Old 4th December 2014
Gear Head

hahahah I glad for you!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search