The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
help with canare cable
Old 2nd December 2014
Gear Head

help with canare cable

hey guys

i picked up some canare star quad cable and some neutrik liechtenstein xlr connectors to use with preamps. i just made 2, which were my first attempts and soldering since i made a couple in college. one worked right away and the other took a couple more attempts to get it to pass signal. now that both pass signal i compared them to other cables i bought and they both produce a fairly noticeable hum compared to the ones i bought which are basically silent. is this a connection issue? if so how can i go about fixing it? i checked the soldering and they all seem to have good connections to the xlrs. could it be that i didn't tie the wires together well enough?

thanks
Old 3rd December 2014
SRS
Lives for gear

Last edited by SRS; 3rd December 2014 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: Duplicate Post
Old 3rd December 2014
SRS
Lives for gear

My entire studio is wired with Canare Star Quad cable and Neutrik connectors. All custom made, by either me or a reliable source I use. Silent as a mouse. You MUST have something wrong. Do you have a multi-meter? Check for proper continuity on all pins, and make sure there are NO strands of wire touching any ground or other pins. Verify the resistance (or preferably lack there-of on all through pins and the shield.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah you definitely did something wrong.

Things to check:
1- Did you overheat the pins and melt the insert.Are the pins loose?
2- As said above (no hairs touching)?
3- Are the wires cut to the right length so they don't short out when you screw the housing on?
Other than that,they should be quiet.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

You mentioned its your first soldering atempt.
Maybe you are but if your not familiar with soldering plugs.
Use a desk clamp thingy or use a pair of vise grips.
If there's solder on the pins already,melt it off.

Cut the wires so there's not a lot of play, like a prong.You only need a tiny bit of wire showing at the tip.
Put a tiny bit of solder on the pins.
Put a tiny bit of solder on the wires.
Touch the wire to the pin and heat it up till it pools.
Hold it steady(3 secs) and let it set.
If you do that,your cables will be as quiet as pre fabs.
Its not rocket science.
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Head

thanks guys. i probably have the wires exposed a touch too much but it seemed that the gain on my board was way up causing the hum. i'm finishing up some more cables for comparison
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Head

so it looks like just one cable has a touch of hum the rest are silent. looks like i just need to redo that one and problem solved
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search