The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question About Flangers
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Question About Flangers

The scenario: lots of amp feedback, about 30 seconds long leading into the opening track (or downbeat).

The goal: A long low flange on all of the feedback that sweeps into the downbeat, building plenty of tension for the downbeat to release.

The problem: I don't use flangers that often, in fact I can't remember the last time I did. I can get the flanger (Logic stock flanger) to sound the way I want but I can't get the cycle of the flange to be long enough. I would like one long flange cycle or half cycle, like a subtle version of the end of 'Have a Cigar' except leading into the downbeat of a song. I can get the length of the sweep right by automating an eq but it doesn't have the same "sweep or whooshing" as a flanger. I haven't tried using both an automated eq and flanger yet but I wanted to see what GS had to say about it. I am getting the feeling that I may have to build the effect with many different things.
Old 2nd December 2014
You can create a pretty good flange wind up digitally by slightly pitch changing one of two identical tracks (+/- 5 to 8 cents) and then sliding it a few samples back or forth . mess with the volume. gl
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks. I will try that out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search