The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choosing a 700$ monitor
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Head

Choosing a 700$ monitor

Fellow gearslutz
I have a few questions for you
I'm getting a new set of monitors for my studio
I already own a pair of behringer 5 inch monitors wich are pretty much crap. I'm looking for a new set of monitors in the 600$- 700$ Price range.
In my country there's a limited selection of audio gear and the second hand market is non existing.
A few monitors I can get my hands on which I consider getting are event 2030, yamaha Hs80, JBL LSR 308, Adam a7x, EVE audio SC207, monkey banana turbo 8. We get also tannoy, ESI and dynaudio.
I mostly produce rock music and music for theater and film
I do intend to work on various genres.
The room is pretty big (about 7x8.5 meters.) it also doubles as a rehearsal space but monitors are mostly used for mixing and mastering. The room will be acoustically treated in the very near future.
The monitors will be standing about 3 feet from the wall(I can pull them further back if needed)

What do you recommend?
(I am keeping the behringers)

Thank you all in advance
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Addict

Focal CMS. They've been my best purchase; of all the kit I own...
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Head

I can't get them around here
Any other suggestions?
Old 1st December 2014
Lives for gear
If $700 is your budget for a PAIR then the only thing worthy within that price bracket is the Yamaha HS8 or HS80 IMO. Nothing else in that price bracket comes close as far as translation goes. I hear good things about the Equator D8's though and they run a little over $700 a pair as well, but I've et to hear them with my own two ears so I can't vouch for them.
However, if you're taking $700 per speaker, then that's a whole different story.
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomerbenya View Post
Fellow gearslutz
I have a few questions for you
I'm getting a new set of monitors for my studio
I already own a pair of behringer 5 inch monitors wich are pretty much crap. I'm looking for a new set of monitors in the 600$- 700$ Price range.
In my country there's a limited selection of audio gear and the second hand market is non existing.
A few monitors I can get my hands on which I consider getting are event 2030, yamaha Hs80, JBL LSR 308, Adam a7x, EVE audio SC207, monkey banana turbo 8. We get also tannoy, ESI and dynaudio.
I mostly produce rock music and music for theater and film
I do intend to work on various genres.
The room is pretty big (about 7x8.5 meters.) it also doubles as a rehearsal space but monitors are mostly used for mixing and mastering. The room will be acoustically treated in the very near future.
The monitors will be standing about 3 feet from the wall(I can pull them further back if needed)

What do you recommend?
(I am keeping the behringers)

Thank you all in advance
A good thing to do when buying monitors, or gear in general I'd say, is actually not to purchase based on your budget. We usually tend to spend all the budget we have thinking that "this is the best thing I can afford" Sometimes you could have spent less and find a great option that fits your needs.
I'll give you my experience and I hope this help you in some way. I've purchased a pair of $4000 studio monitors because that was my budget in that time. I used them for 2 years and I realized that never liked them really. I sold them later and I purchased a $1500 pair, and I am very happy now.

I would recommend going to a music store not decided to purchase something just because you have the money. Go and check them all. Play music, but just music that you have heard a lot previously and create your own opinion about the monitors. At some point you will find a good pair of monitors, and don't be surprised if they cost less than the price you were willing to spend
Old 1st December 2014
Seconded on what GusPSL said.

Also we did some measurements on the Adam a7x and room colored response was pretty similar to other candidates, save for the Equator D5 which seemed a lot less linear and Genelec 8040 which (understandably) performed much better.

I'd look for ways to compensate for room coloration early on. Lessening room gain in bass range can be achieved even by affordable bass traps.
Old 2nd December 2014
Qualitywise , Dynaudio and Eve are the best in the mentioned list.
Dynaudio is cheaper but I think they are a bit more hyped sounding . Film producers seem to like them especially because I think they are inspiring to make music with.
Eve is neutral sounding and might give you a truer picture of the mix.
Old 2nd December 2014
Gear Guru

At the $700 budget level - I would look first at the Equator D8 - these do punch well above their weigh in quality.

Also, the co-axial design means a really good stereo image and depth.

Explanation HERE.
Old 2nd December 2014
(duplicate post)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search