The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mults ? ? ?
Old 30th November 2006
Here for the gear

Mults ? ? ?

In the process of wiring a bantam PB. My big question is, why Mults? How do they expand possibillities?

Please correct me if I'm wrong;

- Mults send signal to more than one location from the console? ? ?

I thought that pacthing out from half-normalled connections would do the same thing.

So Confussed.

Help is welcomed.

Thanks,
-Mark
Old 30th November 2006
Deleted User
You want mults to send a signal to multiple devices. Go figure, eh?

Send a given signal to 2 different compressors to get 2 different sounds. Bring them back to the console on separate faders, and there you go.

Compress the **** out a drum buss with 1 compressor. Just lightly take off the peaks with another one. Mix them both together. Cool results can happen. Hell, bring up both compressors under the un-compressed drums...

Half normalled patch points still only send it OUT of the console to 1 place. Sure, it's still in the console signal chain, but it's only coming out at 1 point. Useful? Yes. The same thing as a mult? Nope.
Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

to sum up thumper, and answer your question, half-normalling is the same as mult'ing... you can patch out to something else w/o breaking the normall to the bottom jack.
Old 1st December 2006
Here for the gear

mults mults mults......

You want mults to send a signal to multiple devices

OK.

How might one go about wiring up mults? I see no wiring diagrams online that show this. How many mults are common for 24 channels?

With half-normals can't you send your one signal to more than one place? ? ?

- Mark (starting to understand)
Old 1st December 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooKuhn View Post
With half-normals can't you send your one signal to more than one place? ? ?
Yes, and when you do send that one signal to more than one place, you are "multing."
Old 1st December 2006
Lives for gear

Half normal allows for sending the signal to the normal and patching it somewhere else. In other words, taking the output of a device and patching it without disrupting the normal connection. Patching to the input of a half-normal will disrupt the normal.

Output makes/input breaks.

You can also create a mult in a patchbay by connecting a wire across several adjacent points on the bay. Soldering the wire to all of the +, another wire to all of the -, and a third across all of the grounds. A half-normal allows you to mult a signal to two places, this method would allow you to send a signal to more than two places.
Old 1st December 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooKuhn View Post
In the process of wiring a bantam PB. My big question is, why Mults? How do they expand possibillities?

Please correct me if I'm wrong;

- Mults send signal to more than one location from the console? ? ?

I thought that pacthing out from half-normalled connections would do the same thing.

So Confussed.

Help is welcomed.

Thanks,
-Mark
on the out-put of say a pre you wire to the tip, the ring, and the sleeve, then you wire from the normalls to the in-put normalls on the device you are going to.
this is full normall wiring.
you can patch from the out-put of the pre and the normalls open breaking the connection to its destination.
if you patch in to that pre's destination, ( lest say converter input ) this will again open the normalls and allow you to insert a signal from another source to that track, ( or what ever that destination happens to be ).
now on a half normal set up.
the out-put is wired to the tip, the ring, and the sleeve, but this time jumpers are used to go the destination but to the destinations normalls,
now if you plug into the pre out-put you signal still goes to its destination.
the advantage hear is you get one free mult.
you can jumper over and get more mults if you want.
i have always been told on newer designed gear you can have three or four mults.
on older 600 ohm gear none to maybe one if you must.
i hope this helps.
to truly understand a patch bay you really need to understand just what a normall is and how it works.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search