The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which 500 series module lives on your master bus and why?
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFiAudio View Post
You could say the Eisens were a prototype for the Purple model. Same design but without the vintage marinars and a few other bits & bobs. If I remember correctly only 60 were made using the transformers from a parted out console. Sound incredible but I've heard the purples do too. Nice smooth two band sweetness
cool thanks
Old 3rd December 2014
Im using a Smart C1LA and/or Dual Vandergraph for comp/glue, the elysia xFilter as sort of a hp/lp control and then off to a NSEQ for final definition (not 500 I know.)
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraamb01 View Post
Im using a Smart C1LA and/or Dual Vandergraph for comp/glue, the elysia xFilter as sort of a hp/lp control and then off to a NSEQ for final definition (not 500 I know.)
Nice
NSEQ2? Just curious, did you compared it to the UAD version?
Old 3rd December 2014
heh... yeah you know, its kind of an apples to oranges comparison. When your working with hardware of that level, its really not fair to compare... does the Plug in stand up to the hardware? Not even remotely. But theres a reason why you spend $300 on a plug vs $3000 on the real thing. You just can't replace real current, transformers and tubes with 1s and 0s. Its the truth with any of the really high end hardware that is emulated.

THATS NOT TO SAY THE PLUGIN ISNT GOOD! It's a REALLY nice plug and you can achieve really nice end results with it, in fact its got some bells and whistles that the real thing doesn't have. Same with like the Manley Massive or the Shadow Hills comp or any of the other high end UA plug emulations. I use the MM nseq plug and others faithfully on my individual tracks in the DAW, but about a year ago i decided to go analog on my 2-buss and boy it was the best decision i made.

So I suppose thats a long way of saying "no... they don't sound the same." lol.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
about a year ago i decided to go analog on my 2-buss and boy it was the best decision i made.
Thanks and you're right about the hardware software comparison. I decided to go analog on my 2-buss too but I want to do it with a 500 rack. So far I've bought the SB4001, X-Filter and X-Pressor. I want to ad a new module (or stereo pair). Still not sure which...
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Nut

Dramastic Obsidian + Kush Electras
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Nut

Dramastic Obsidian + Kush Electras
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmatic-Studios View Post
Thanks and you're right about the hardware software comparison. I decided to go analog on my 2-buss too but I want to do it with a 500 rack. So far I've bought the SB4001, X-Filter and X-Pressor. I want to ad a new module (or stereo pair). Still not sure which...
Agreed... i actually started out with the xpressor and the xfilter as well. I found the xpressor to be just a little too.... noodley. And (i hate to say this cause I'm not necessarily a fan of over effecting the master buss) a little too transparent. I wanted something with a little mojo on the master buss which is why i swapped to the Dual Vancergraph and the C1. Neither is terribly colored, but they definitely bring a certain something when you switch them on.

I kept the xfilter primarily as a good hp/lp filter. the resonance boost in pass mode is really nice and the passive massage is great.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed... i actually started out with the xpressor and the xfilter as well. I found the xpressor to be just a little too.... noodley. And (i hate to say this cause I'm not necessarily a fan of over effecting the master buss) a little too transparent. I wanted something with a little mojo on the master buss which is why i swapped to the Dual Vancergraph and the C1. Neither is terribly colored, but they definitely bring a certain something when you switch them on.

I kept the xfilter primarily as a good hp/lp filter. the resonance boost in pass mode is really nice and the passive massage is great.
True. That's why I want to ad more mojo to my rack. Still not sure what to buy... Any suggestions? The SB4001 has some mojo btw
Old 3rd December 2014
i looked at the serpent. its a nice comp. when you say you want more mojo... that can mean a lot of things. I went with the DV cause I wanted the warmth and slower, musical settings it provides, and the C1 because it was faster but still had some character to it. also the s/c feature is nice for keeping the stereo image wide.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
i looked at the serpent. its a nice comp. when you say you want more mojo... that can mean a lot of things. I went with the DV cause I wanted the warmth and slower, musical settings it provides, and the C1 because it was faster but still had some character to it. also the s/c feature is nice for keeping the stereo image wide.
And with a $1500 budget?
Old 3rd December 2014
well fortunately that budget goes a long way in the 500 series world. Actually your limit is more about the availability of stereo processing units in that format. Of course you don't HAVE to have a stereo unit, you can get a couple of mono units and some of them link so you can use one set of controls to control both modules. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of experience with a bunch of different types of modules, but I've been real happy with the SH DV. lots of musical mojo there. The C1 I'm very happy with. Great sounding comp. theres the Bettermaker pultec style EQ thats supposed to be nice. Not sure how much mojo it ads... except from the mojo you'd expect from a push pull EQ like that.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
well fortunately that budget goes a long way in the 500 series world. Actually your limit is more about the availability of stereo processing units in that format. Of course you don't HAVE to have a stereo unit, you can get a couple of mono units and some of them link so you can use one set of controls to control both modules. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of experience with a bunch of different types of modules, but I've been real happy with the SH DV. lots of musical mojo there. The C1 I'm very happy with. Great sounding comp. theres the Bettermaker pultec style EQ thats supposed to be nice. Not sure how much mojo it ads... except from the mojo you'd expect from a push pull EQ like that.
Thanks
Curious what the SH DV will ad to my SB4001...
Old 3rd December 2014
well I'm not familiar with the serpent, so i can't say apples to apples, but the DV has the iron transformer in it from the mastering comp, so it has a certain sound to it. its a preset affair, so its not as "precise" as the serpent would be, but I find the presets to be very usable and it just adds a nice little something to the mix buss. warmth, glue... its just a nice addition, even at very low ratios. I really like it, its quick and easy to dial in a good sound, depending on your material. Id recommend getting one it to test against the serpent to see how it feels.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
well I'm not familiar with the serpent, so i can't say apples to apples, but the DV has the iron transformer in it from the mastering comp, so it has a certain sound to it. its a preset affair, so its not as "precise" as the serpent would be, but I find the presets to be very usable and it just adds a nice little something to the mix buss. warmth, glue... its just a nice addition, even at very low ratios. I really like it, its quick and easy to dial in a good sound, depending on your material. Id recommend getting one it to test against the serpent to see how it feels.
Will do thanks
Any other mojo module suggestions? (I mix electronic music btw)
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Can a pair of Germ 500 MKII Pre Amp from Chandler Limited ad some mojo to the 2bus?
Old 3rd December 2014
DKT
Gear Head

Matched 560's or Avedis E27's - recently got a pair of Neve 2264ALB's that I'm looking forward to trying linked.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search