The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focal spirit pro
Old 2nd November 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Focal spirit pro

I have sony mdr-7506 & v6's which I am happy with. Been searching & if you have to use headphones to do some serious work; then these are tje ones to use. I have no problem the picking a pair of these up if they are a strong competitor, but don't want to buy another pair of headphones "just to spend some bux," need to be the ones to get, is this the case?
Old 2nd November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Personally I have used Both v6's and MDR7506's which seemed a bit hyped in the bottom. I walked by a Focal setup just about a year ago at a presentation at RSPE and thought oh Ya the Focal headphones. Seen the thread here on GS did not think about them. Decided to toss them on to see how they sounded. Can you say jaw drop? Is that to over the top? Fact is it was the first set of closed back headphones I had ever tried that sounded and felt pretty much like someone had strapped a set of high end monitors on my head.
I bought them within a week.
Fast forward I finally get my new monitors last spring . I am sitting there running some tracks through them. I toss my Spirit Pro's on, I take them off and then I put them on again. Immediately the exclamation comes out WTF. Literally they matched my extremely flat monitors, seamless parity. I have never had that experience with headphones before.
I would go on to test this experience with associates and get exactly the same kind of responses. I had a really good singer in who herself has incredible ears and she sat there and said those are really good headphones. lol
In the end I know I can make accurate mix checks and possible decisions on these headphones. Yards above the Sony's in every way.
In my opinion for the money, there is nothing touching them in their price range and way above it.
Old 2nd November 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I bought some Focal Spirit Professionals and they are really nice headphones. Way more accurate.
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great sound but do find mine a bit uncomfortable if worn for too long...

Zz.
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They sound good, but donΒ΄t sit that well on my head which results in that I lose some bass freqs if IΒ΄m not careful when putting them on.
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

Did the issue with cracks in the headband improve with later batches? I seem to remember that many had the issue, but seemingly Focal wouldn't change the material or the construction to remedy it. It was in the 'new product' thread, I think.
Old 3rd November 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
Personally I have used Both v6's and MDR7506's which seemed a bit hyped in the bottom. I walked by a Focal setup just about a year ago at a presentation at RSPE and thought oh Ya the Focal headphones. Seen the thread here on GS did not think about them. Decided to toss them on to see how they sounded. Can you say jaw drop? Is that to over the top? Fact is it was the first set of closed back headphones I had ever tried that sounded and felt pretty much like someone had strapped a set of high end monitors on my head.
I bought them within a week.
Fast forward I finally get my new monitors last spring . I am sitting there running some tracks through them. I toss my Spirit Pro's on, I take them off and then I put them on again. Immediately the exclamation comes out WTF. Literally they matched my extremely flat monitors, seamless parity. I have never had that experience with headphones before.
I would go on to test this experience with associates and get exactly the same kind of responses. I had a really good singer in who herself has incredible ears and she sat there and said those are really good headphones. lol
In the end I know I can make accurate mix checks and possible decisions on these headphones. Yards above the Sony's in every way.
In my opinion for the money, there is nothing touching them in their price range and way above it.
I pretty much agree with this. These are the best headphones I have ever used for actually making mixing decisions. I have a pair of HD650's also which are way more musical and fun to listen on, but my Focal Pros are the ones I turn to when I want to know how my mix really sounds. They are unbelievable for the price, get them.
Old 3rd November 2014
How do they stack up against the DT880 Pro 250 ohms? Which I find to be fairly accurate and extremely comfortable for long sessions. Only issue I have with them is they don't travel well and I need some that do for work while on the road.
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

After a decade of professional work in commercial studios, during which time I insisted that mixing on headphones was impossible, my buddy Adam Brass from DSP Doctor sent me a set of Spirit Pros to demo. From nearly the first moment I got them, I was mixing in headphones successfully for the first time ever. Since then (for about the past year or so), I've been doing LOTS of mixing in the headphones, and I really don't think I can say enough good things about them. Completely changed the way I work.

Also, my experience with Focal and DSP Doctor has been, simply put, that they have the best freaking customer service on earth. Sooooo good. It's kind of insane. They're just awesome. I really can't recommend the Focal Spirit Pros any higher. Great product, great company.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francos View Post
How do they stack up against the DT880 Pro 250 ohms? Which I find to be accurate and extremely comfortable for long sessions. Only issue I have with them is they don't travel well and I need some that do for work while on the road.
I own both. The DT880s are hyped a little around/above 8K and are leaner in the low end. The Spirits are definitely more accurate and are a better mixing tool. However, the Spirits are nowhere near as comfortable as the 880s. The Spirits are much easier to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
I own both. The DT880s are hyped a little around/above 8K and are leaner in the low end. The Spirits are definitely more accurate and are a better mixing tool. However, the Spirits are nowhere near as comfortable as the 880s. The Spirits are much easier to drive.
Are we talking about slightly uncomfortable or actual pain on the outside of the ears after an hour, 2, 5.. hour sessions?

Interesting. I should have clarified my main use of the 880's in the studio.. mostly quickly on and off for basic tracking duties and identifying/dialing in problem areas during transitions (noise, clicks, pops, tails etc.), rather than start to finish tracking through mastering or trying to nail a fully balanced spectrum. Still, using eyes and ears when doing a full mix I can get pretty damn close with them. Anyway, on the road its a totally different story.. sometimes songs/edits need to be dead on accurate for live use the same day, with no time to check things on proper monitors. You get the idea.....

What sort of packaging comes with these.. decent enough to grab and go without worry? The 880's came with a (badly designed) padded travel bag, but the cable end doesn't fit properly and ends up getting bent out of shape if left in there for too long.
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
They're really good - very accurate, albeit a little forward sounding, thus a really good complement to my Senn HD 650's, which are more relaxed.

But as others have said, they fit very tight around your head, and can be uncomfortable after wearing them a long time.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Are we talking about slightly uncomfortable or actual pain on the outside of the ears after an hour, 2, 5.. hour sessions?

Interesting. I should have clarified my main use of the 880's in the studio.. mostly quickly on and off for basic tracking duties and identifying/dialing in problem areas during transitions (noise, clicks, pops, tails etc.), rather than start to finish tracking through mastering or trying to nail a fully balanced spectrum. Still, using eyes and ears when doing a full mix I can get pretty damn close with them. Anyway, on the road its a totally different story.. sometimes songs/edits need to be dead on accurate for live use the same day, with no time to check things on proper monitors. You get the idea.....

What sort of packaging comes with these.. decent enough to grab and go without worry? The 880's came with a (badly designed) padded travel bag, but the cable end doesn't fit properly and ends up getting bent out of shape if left in there for too long.
An hour, maybe two is fine for me, but I wear glasses, which makes it worse. Some people have complained about the ear cups being too small, not fully covering the ears; they barely fit over my ears. Other people have complained about tightness. They do fit tighter than the 880s.

The reusable box (case) it comes in is decent, but large. Not sure if it would be good for travel; it would take up a good portion of a small suitcase and probably not fit in a backpack. Seems like it would offer good protection, though. I got lucky with my 880s, as they came with an aluminum case, which is more durable but also large.

Sounds like your 880s are fine for what you're doing. Personally I can't use them for mixing, but editing is fine. In fact, for editing, I'd prefer them over the Spirits.
Old 3rd November 2014
Hmm... not sure I could deal with such short sessions on the road, ear pain and tight fit on top just for a slight edge in accuracy. I could be in the 880's for 8-10 hours and forget they're even on.. referencing, gaming or whatever and not feel a thing afterwards. Its like having fluffy pillows on the head

Do they offer different/better fitting models? I haven't looked at their range as I haven't been in the market for cans in a while.

I also have a few pairs of trustworthy Technics RPDH-1200's which can take years and years of heavy abuse no problemo, are loud as **** on stage and very comfortable (not as much as the 880's), though not ideal for critical listening or studio use.

I guess having both the Focals and 880's for alt reference points might be the way to go....
Old 3rd November 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
If I had to, I think I could do a decent mix on my Focal Spirit Pros. I might struggle with how much compression and delay by mixing on headphones alone, however. They just can't tell you how 3D space works.

They have been on for several hours at a time, and though are nowhere near as comfy as my Sennheisers (365, 380 and 580s), they are better studio tools in my humble opinion. Mine haven't had any of the headband cracking issues, even though they are of a similar vintage to those with which people reported problems.

Last edited by sharkboy; 3rd November 2014 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: missed a space between words
Old 3rd November 2014
Gear Addict

I have been through Ultrasone, KRK, Sony's, AKG, ATM50's and finally tried the Focals. They were not fun to listen to. I had a hard time adjusting to them but when I did, the mix decisions I made with them were leaps beyond what I was able to do on any other set of headphones. I am also loving the new Focal Aplha 50 monitors that I recently acquired.
Old 3rd November 2014
GSF
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Like anything, they take a bit to get used to; they are a tad forward but I've found them invaluable for detailed editing work.
Old 3rd November 2014
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
They are very smooth yet detailed, and have a depth to them that is excellent. I dunno, we like them a lot and so do most who use them.

I think it's safe to say Focal knew they would need to deliver something REALLY GOOD to get into the headphone game and not some "me too" type headphone.

I would say mission accomplished.

War
Old 15th November 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Are the spirit one's restricted in high end response?...... Do they sound dull from not having frequency content above something like 3500 hz?
Old 15th November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimisrandma View Post
Are the spirit one's restricted in high end response?...... Do they sound dull from not having frequency content above something like 3500 hz?
Uh. I can only answer for the pros, but I don't know from whence this comment is made. No shortage of high frequency in my hearing range in the pros.
Old 16th November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkboy View Post
Uh. I can only answer for the pros, but I don't know from whence this comment is made. No shortage of high frequency in my hearing range in the pros.
Freq resp graph here suggests otherwise;
Build A Graph | headphone.com
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimisrandma View Post
Freq resp graph here suggests otherwise;
Build A Graph | headphone.com
That graph only has the Spirit Ones. The Spirit Pro's are a different model headphone which they do not have graphs for on that page.
Please don't mix up the models just because they are the same manufacturer. They are different in many aspects.
He was speaking for the Spirit Pro's not the Spirit Ones.
Old 16th November 2014
Interesting. I compared the 880's to these and on the graph they appear to be much more accurate.

I'd attach the graph image, but GS attachment and image link functions arent working today
Quote:
That graph only has the Spirit Ones. The Spirit Pro's are a different model headphone which they do not have graphs for on that page.
Please don't mix up the models just because they are the same manufacturer. They are different in many aspects.
He was speaking for the Spirit Pro's not the Spirit Ones.
Good point.. was just going to edit my post mentioning this. The "880" doesn't have the various models listed either.
Old 19th November 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Interesting. I compared the 880's to these and on the graph they appear to be much more accurate.

I'd attach the graph image, but GS attachment and image link functions arent working today
Again that graph shows the Focal Spirit Ones. Not the Focal Spirit Pro's . We are talking about the Spirit Pro's and their is a big difference between the two models.
Quote:
Again that graph shows the Focal Spirit Ones. Not the Focal Spirit Pro's . We are talking about the Spirit Pro's and their is a big difference between the two models.
um...... didnt I already point out the models 3 days ago, right above your post? and no, I dont believe that thERE is that big of a difference between them.. they wouldnt be under the same model name if thERE was. unless of course you can prove otherwise?

the 880's have a more accurate response.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
um...... didnt I already point out the models 3 days ago, right above your post? and no, I dont believe that thERE is that big of a difference between them.. they wouldnt be under the same model name if thERE was. unless of course you can prove otherwise?

There actually is a big difference - on the Focal Spirit Pro thread the Focal rep explained the the Spirit ones are aimed at the consumer market for pleasant sounding playback, while the pro's are flat for studio production - take down the attitude a bit, Dpro is giving you good information and you are the misinformed one here
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Look I don't want to get into an argument here, but seriously man the Spirit Ones are 50% less price wise. So pretty much what you are saying in your statement above is Focal sells Spirit Pro's for $350 vs $175 for the Spirit Ones but they are pretty much the same.
That is completely ludicrous and people would be raking Focal over the coals on it.
You cannot take the Spirit One graph and use as a representative for the Spirit Pro's they are different and have different freq response.
So please just stop because you are making assumptions not bound by fact.
Old 19th November 2014
both of you are misinformed and have the "facts" all jambazzled up inside the old noggins. and I think you both need a paddle and time out for the rude behavior.

re-read what I wrote prior to todays response............ uhu!? now ya see.. right?.. right? attitude down is exactly right buttercup.

also worth mentioning is that the 880's on the graph are NOT the -better-"pro" models.. yet, theIR it is. the prices vary.... and? come on man.

"TheIR actually is a big difference" between the base model and the rest..as is plain for all to see.

what fun................ thank you and good night.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
both of you are misinformed and have the "facts" all jambazzled up inside the old noggins. and I think you both need a paddle and time out for the rude behavior.

re-read what I wrote prior to todays response............ uhu!? now ya see.. right?.. right? attitude down is exactly right buttercup.

also worth mentioning is that the 880's on the graph are NOT the -better-"pro" models.. yet, theIR it is. the prices vary.... and? come on man.

"TheIR actually is a big difference" between the base model and the rest..as is plain for all to see.

what fun................ thank you and good night.
The DT880 is one model of phones (with three impedance versions). The Spirit One, on the other hand, is pretty much unreleated to the Professional from what I can gather. You should expect a very different response from the Pro's.
πŸ“ Reply