The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A/B converters testing Apogee AD-8000 vs Digidesign 192
Old 18th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I agree. It creates a very musically useful sound. Pity there are not more converters that do. For me e.g. the Symphony does not have that 'want to hear more of' effect at all.

Too many converters are made by numbers and theory and not finished off by ear. Sadly. Or, if they are, then they must be finished off by the wrong people by ear.
Damn right
Old 18th October 2014
Lives for gear

Old 18th October 2014
Lives for gear

Somehow with this player it sounds BRUTAL but palatable with the 192. So apogee on steve vai and 192 on everyone else! Lol
Old 19th October 2014
Quote:
His point is you can't really tell from different takes, especially of an acoustic, as the way the player hits it varies too. You need to split the signal before the conversion and route the same take to both converters, then level match tightly after, as the converters won't be the same. Then it will tell more properly what's going on.

I suspect though from hearing that, that the conclusions are going to be the same.

Here is the test again with both signals splited through both converters...same take, same mic,same pre, same guitar, same guitar player, same studio booth, and all the fishing tools..

get your conclusion again...like i said before...Apogee AD-8000 beats the digi 192 all the way through..
Attached Files

Apogee AD-8000.mp3 (1.17 MB, 617 views)

Digidesign 192.mp3 (1.17 MB, 613 views)

Old 19th October 2014
Lives for gear
Digidesign I/O is cheaper than Apogee AD8000 used, so ther you go...why?
Old 19th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post
Digidesign I/O is cheaper than Apogee AD8000 used, so ther you go...why?

Of course ..but as Digi 192 turned up with the highlights of 192 khz sample rate..everybody just jumped over it...when a well recorded music at 24bits/48 khz could be more than enough to blow up minds...the " standard" software protools only had that to offer so there you are..

Old 19th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno B View Post
192s are not crap. Skeptical is actually the wrong word. You lost me at two separate takes. You came to a conclusion (sounds dull, not clear) but your test is flawed.

There is a difference in converters. It's very small when you operate them at standard levels. Many people would be surprised if they performed these tests properly, and in many cases without bias. Not saying you're biased.

I have done converter tests before. My LavryBlue converters used in the video below. Same take, split signal into converters, level match as much as possible. To establish credibility you could have multiple participants or make a video. I lost 35 pounds since that video. Damn I was huge.

Hi Bruno

i just attatched the test by after been split both signals through the converters...so you can check it again..i still giving my 2 last cents to the AD-8000

cheers
Old 19th October 2014
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

With the A/B of them being far more valid now,[listening here with fresh ears at 9:32am with an HD I/O and Focal Solo 6BE, They certainly sound different
and just like I remember them
the Apogee has this awesome warmth, kinda hazy but actually sounds nice to me. I like lots of clarity but more so, I like coloration. The 192 sounds thinner and cleaner
I much prefer how Apogee makes their converters sound
the HD I/O is very, very nice, I like making records with them. They kill the old 192's by a long mile,
but the Apogee's make love to my ears,
that's just how I am hearing it...
Old 19th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
With the A/B of them being far more valid now,[listening here with fresh ears at 9:32am with an HD I/O and Focal Solo 6BE, They certainly sound different
the Apogee has this awesome warmth, kinda hazy but actually sounds nice to me. I like lots of clarity but more so, I like coloration. The 192 sounds thinner and cleaner
the HD I/O is very, very nice, I like making records with them. They kill the old 192's by a long mile,
That's exactly how I hear the old 8000, but for some reason the Symphony doesn't make as much love to my ears. It certainly doesn't hurt either, but the 8000 has a truly musical euphonic effect which the Symphony can't match although providing more real estate. To me.
Old 19th October 2014
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Quote:
That's exactly how I hear the old 8000, but for some reason the Symphony doesn't make as much love to my ears. It certainly doesn't hurt either, but the 8000 has a truly musical euphonic effect which the Symphony can't match although providing more real estate. To me.
I dig it a lot, as I said, I like the clarity,
crystal clear noiseless sound with a black background, but not at the compromise of any musicality,
when Apogee first told me about the Symphony, they had pushed to me that they have improved the performance, linearity, clarity, transparency of their design.
To my delight this converter does indeed sound "clearer", wider and deeper than the 16x's...Much better headroom. My mix downs thanked me.

The Symphony's clean sound never distracts me from hearing its smooth as glass glow! I compared it to my Old Rosetta 200, the top end on the R200 sounded "granular" and had way more "electronic glare" to it. Way less bottom end extension. The Symphony sounded softer and sweeter to my ears,
Old 19th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I dig it a lot, as I said, I like the clarity,
crystal clear noiseless sound with a black background, but not at the compromise of any musicality,
when Apogee first told me about the Symphony, they had pushed to me that they have improved the performance, linearity, clarity, transparency of their design.
To my delight this converter does indeed sound "clearer", wider and deeper than the 16x's...Much better headroom. My mix downs thanked me.

The Symphony's clean sound never distracts me from hearing its smooth as glass glow! I compared it to my Old Rosetta 200, the top end on the R200 sounded "granular" and had way more "electronic glare" to it. Way less bottom end extension. The Symphony sounded softer and sweeter to my ears,
Agreed about all its better points. They are very real and allow for big, soft yet clear shapes. But it still doesn't have as much musical magic sauce as the old 8000.......but then not many converters do. Funnily enough I reckon Ross Martin's stuff kind of does. Somewhere between the 8000 and Symphony in a few ways, one could say, with some of both's better points rolled into one. He's just getting a new 8 i/o rack out...quite tempting and dirt cheap.
Old 19th October 2014
When I first heard the symphony I missed the mojo on the AD16X - But I don't own a symphony so not sure what would happen in my studio if I had both to compare directly
Old 20th October 2014
Quote:

I just share the same point of view...the AD-8000 sounds for me more musical...

📝 Reply