The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Locomotive Audio 14B Tube Compressor
Old 2nd October 2014
  #1
Locomotive Audio 14B Tube Compressor

Hey All,

I just got this compressor in the mail and am going to be testing it out a bit tonight (as long as everything goes as planned).

Locomotive Audio :: Analog Audio Recording Equipment

Anyone have something they want to hear through it? Preferably a song that you've mixed and can send me a vocal and a music stem so I can see how the compressor sounds on just the vocal and how it sits in the mix. I figure it could be fun to try out with some new material and see how it sounds. I could probably run the vocal through a couple of compressors to compare too.

Mainly looking for well done vocal tracks with some music. Folk, singer songwriter, blues, pop, male, female. Not really looking for metal type stuff or rap, more interested in sung vocals for this purpose.

Let's have some fun.
Old 4th October 2014
  #2
No takers? I might be in the studio messing around with it again tomorrow or Sunday night before a big move.
Old 21st March 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
 
ray dsr's Avatar
 

How is the Locomotive Compressor treating you after 6 months of use?
Old 10th April 2015
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray dsr View Post
How is the Locomotive Compressor treating you after 6 months of use?



Still rocking in my rack. It's been my go-to vocal compressor.
Old 8th August 2015
  #5
Have you tried it on electric guitars or drums? Ive been eyeing one of these too. I own everything but a vari Mu comp and want something with slickness like my LA2a but hopefully different. Im hoping it acts similar to a UA175 or a Gates STA level...
Old 29th March 2016
  #6
Definitely interested in this piece as well. I've been wanting a Retro 176 but am wondering if this unit would give me what I want...another go-to piece in the vocal chain.
Old 4th April 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
zulusound's Avatar
I have two of the 14B's, absolutely fantastic compressors. Very versatile too, for Vari-Mu's... the variable attack, release, and side chain, also limit/compress switch. HIGHLY recommended.

Last edited by zulusound; 4th April 2016 at 02:11 AM..
Old 4th April 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Curious too as if love to know any diferences between loco and retro.. I've eyed up one of these for some time.
Old 23rd May 2016
  #9
SEED78
Guest
bump bump

just curious how users are liking the Locomotive specifically compared to other vari comps on the market, Chandler/Highland/Retro/Thermionic?

looks like a lovely bit of kit. Am wondering if to get one, or go RS124 vibe.
Old 23rd May 2016
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
bump bump

just curious how users are liking the Locomotive specifically compared to other vari comps on the market, Chandler/Highland/Retro/Thermionic?

looks like a lovely bit of kit. Am wondering if to get one, or go RS124 vibe.
Still digging mine. I also have a Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Comp. The Locomotive stays on my lead vocal and the TCPMC is normally on my vocal buss (lead and backgrounds). The Locomotive does the heavy lifting with faster settings and the TCPMC is slow with a light touch for me. Really happy with the 14B.
Old 23rd May 2016
  #11
SEED78
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoutu1 View Post
Still digging mine. I also have a Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Comp. The Locomotive stays on my lead vocal and the TCPMC is normally on my vocal buss (lead and backgrounds). The Locomotive does the heavy lifting with faster settings and the TCPMC is slow with a light touch for me. Really happy with the 14B.
Thanks for the reply - always hard to get a picture of the sound of a unit like this when there are no demo units to hand.

Does it have a lot of colour compared the the Phoenix? I'm looking for something that stamps a distinct sonic footprint on the audio. Something that will rival the Chandler/Highland offerings on a tighter budget for vocals.

I've heard the Phoenix itself is really nice for vocal tracking? The mono version is priced really well (HG15) so was looking at that at one point too, but thought it might be too clean for me.
Old 23rd May 2016
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Thanks for the reply - always hard to get a picture of the sound of a unit like this when there are no demo units to hand.

Does it have a lot of colour compared the the Phoenix? I'm looking for something that stamps a distinct sonic footprint on the audio. Something that will rival the Chandler/Highland offerings on a tighter budget for vocals.

I've heard the Phoenix itself is really nice for vocal tracking? The mono version is priced really well (HG15) so was looking at that at one point too, but thought it might be too clean for me.
What kind of music do you do?
Old 23rd May 2016
  #13
SEED78
Guest
All sorts, record a handful of different people, retro soul, bluesy rock, some reggae guys. something that is natural, but vibey (that can also get aggressive in the mix), don't know if that helps? for cleaner more modern vocals I already have compressors for that.

I have U87 and M49 inspired condenser mics, and some ribbons - use Neve/Redd 47 clone preamps. Would chain the 14B after those.
Old 23rd May 2016
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
All sorts, record a handful of different people, retro soul, bluesy rock, some reggae guys. something that is natural, but vibey (that can also get aggressive in the mix), don't know if that helps? for cleaner more modern vocals I already have compressors for that.

I have U87 and M49 inspired condenser mics, and some ribbons - use Neve/Redd 47 clone preamps. Would chain the 14B after those.
If you send me a vocal track and a music bed track, I can process a vocal through both the Phoenix and 14B for ya to take a listen. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Old 23rd May 2016
  #15
SEED78
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoutu1 View Post
If you send me a vocal track and a music bed track, I can process a vocal through both the Phoenix and 14B for ya to take a listen. Shoot me a PM if interested.
nice one - really appreciate the offer - once I have soemthing suitable I'll pass something across, should be working on some new projects soon.
Old 24th May 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
 
zulusound's Avatar
Still love my 14B's. Another cool thing about these is you can turn off the compression by turning the Attack knob all the way till it clicks OFF, which means you can just use the Gain and output to shape some sweet harmonic distortion. It sounds incredible on some sources. I turned a trumpet into a gnarly sounding synth/guitar sounding beast.

I have used a Manley Vari Mu extensively and these Locomotives kick the ass of those, especially for vibe.
Old 24th May 2016
  #17
SEED78
Guest
so they do have a colour to them then? I was wondering if they were on the cleaner side compared to STA Levels or Chandler RS124 Highland BG2 etc etc?
Old 24th May 2017
  #18
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
so they do have a colour to them then? I was wondering if they were on the cleaner side compared to STA Levels or Chandler RS124 Highland BG2 etc etc?
Also interested in this, I'm recently in the market for one between STA, RS124, BG2 or Locomotive.
Old 25th May 2017
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transc3ndenz View Post
Also interested in this, I'm recently in the market for one between STA, RS124, BG2 or Locomotive.
I haven't used the others, but it's on the cleaner side. My Weight Tanks and Stam SA-2A are both beefier. The 14B sounds more pop to my ears and the Weight Tanks sound more folk/rock.
Old 25th May 2017
  #20
SEED78
Guest
Can Weight Tank do mojo to vocals without rolling anything of the detail off the top? Best priced comp out there with quality internals.
Old 25th May 2017
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Can Weight Tank do mojo to vocals without rolling anything of the detail off the top? Best priced comp out there with quality internals.
Yep. The WT can be pretty clean with lighter settings, gets fatter when you start to push, and can get a little hairy at extreme settings in drive mode. If you're interested, I can process a vocal for you. Really awesome compressor.
Old 25th May 2017
  #22
SEED78
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoutu1 View Post
Yep. The WT can be pretty clean with lighter settings, gets fatter when you start to push, and can get a little hairy at extreme settings in drive mode. If you're interested, I can process a vocal for you. Really awesome compressor.
Will take you up on that!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump