The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is this vocal chain?
Old 1st October 2014
Gear Maniac

What is this vocal chain?

Someone sent me this song just for the vocal sound and now I need to know what it is.

Lights Out by Ingrid Michaelson on Spotify

This is a phenomenally tracked and mixed record. I am not the biggest fan, but the vocals sound amazing. What do you guys think this vocal chain is?
Old 1st October 2014
Lives for gear

To be honest, this is a case where, it's not really about the vocal chain, the bottom line is there are probably a hundred different combinations of vocal chain that will take you into that ball park. What it's really about is buying into the idea of arranging the vocals in such a manner and then spending countless hours piecing them together. The backing, for the most part is well, tasteful is the nice way of putting it, if you want to be harsh, it's merely perfunctory for most of the album. That said, it does give the voices the room to reach out and grab your attention.

Oh and don't let people fool you, a lot of those vocals are limited to the point of squeaking. Tasteful compression my arse, they are slammed and then slammed some more. Oh I'm sure it might well have been a few bits of lush out board kit doing it, that is it though, by the time you wellied it throug,h even 3-4 great bits of kit, you are, in reality, into limiting territory.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search