The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alesis AI3 Digital Converters
Old 27th September 2014
Alesis AI3

Is there anything else out there that does what this box can do? I'm just looking for 8 ins and outs to lightpipe into my interface.
Old 28th September 2014
Perfect for what you want. Last I remember, the ins and outs aren't simultaneous.
Old 28th September 2014
Lives for gear

I have one for sale. Works perfectly. Pm me if your interested.
Old 28th September 2014
Lives for gear

RME AI-8 does the same, but hard to find and more expensive. A MOTU 828 or 828 MKII will run standalone too.

Re: sam guaiana's comment. I can't remember if this is the case or not, but worth confirming if you need synchronous I/O.

An HD24 will do 24 channels at a time...
Old 28th September 2014
Thanks guys...just looking for 8 channels to hook up with my apollo. I have an isa 428 with the digital card right now which is great for ins, but I'm not married to the pres, and I'd love 8 more outs as well. A second apollo is just way more than I need. Just 8 solid ins and outs of conversion. The alesis fits the bill, but I'm worried the sound quality won't be up to par. It's a little more expensive, but I was also looking at used apogee Rosetta 800s.
Old 28th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Perfect for what you want. Last I remember, the ins and outs aren't simultaneous.
Hmmm so you mean I couldn't use it as a send/return for outboard gear? That kind of rules it out!
Old 28th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick8801 View Post
Hmmm so you mean I couldn't use it as a send/return for outboard gear? That kind of rules it out!
I use it for exactly that with a DM3200. It works perfectly.

This is actually one of my favorite little tricks of my studio - greatly expanded what I could do with the DM3200.

dB
Old 28th September 2014
I'm happy I was wrong. I sold it to a friend whom I know never uses it, I might buy it back
Old 29th September 2014
They work great for AD conversion and are rock solid... I NEVER have any digital clock glitches with the AI3 like I do with the MAudio Octane an/or Presonus Digimax..only drawback is they only go up to 48k
Old 29th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccisano1 View Post
They work great for AD conversion and are rock solid... I NEVER have any digital clock glitches with the AI3 like I do with the MAudio Octane an/or Presonus Digimax..only drawback is they only go up to 48k
I don't think I'll ever record over 48 so that isn't a problem. How is the conversion quality? The only other solution I found for my setup would be a used apogee rosetta 800. They go used for close to 1,000, which is almost ten times the ai3 price! The black lion mod is an option as well, but that puts me up around 500 or 600 bucks. I know it sounds vain, but for a few extra hundred bucks, I would rather have apogee looking at me from my rack than alesis lol.
Old 1st October 2014
I think a frontier design tango is the same price but sounds better. Let me check on something for you...
Old 1st October 2014
The tango sounds better. My friend owned them both at the same time and agreed. I owned them both but not at the same time and remembered the tango being better. It will be fine for those extra tracks that may not be as important. If you want to spend $100 bucks, try to find a tango.
Old 1st October 2014
I'd go with the AI3 - you can get one for around $99 and then get the Black Lion Mod when you can afford it..and as far as having "Alesis" looking at you..you do know ADAT stands for Alesis Digital Audio Tape
Old 1st October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccisano1 View Post
I'd go with the AI3 - you can get one for around $99 and then get the Black Lion Mod when you can afford it..and as far as having "Alesis" looking at you..you do know ADAT stands for Alesis Digital Audio Tape
Yes! I recorded on far too many of those in the 90's. Exactly why I don't want the reminder anymore lol! I hear Apogee is releasing something new on the 7th...wonder if it will fit this bill..
Old 1st October 2014
Gear Guru

I used a pair Frontier Tango 24's for a number of years that were really good. Very solid converters, and not bad sounding.
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

What about the Lucid 8824. A lot of those used/orphaned from video editing studios.
It also has AES ins and outs.
Denny

Last edited by dfchandler; 2nd October 2014 at 01:25 AM.. Reason: spelling
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search