The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
anyone using the studio projects mics? Condenser Microphones
Old 13th December 2003
Gear Maniac

anyone using the studio projects mics?

anyone using these nice mics....is it real or just a hype?
What's the deal!!!
Old 13th December 2003
Gear Addict

I have 2 B3's which turn out to be pretty cheap, usable multipattern mics. I'm sure plenty of people would say I'm talking out my ass, but I use them things like room mics and in front of clean guitars, they are really neutral.

Brandon
Old 13th December 2003
Lives for gear

I have some limited experience using the C3 and a lot using the B1. In general both mics are very useable, despite the slightly hyped sound. The C3 is a multipattern mic and sounds nice in omni. I especially have been enjoying the B1 on many things...acoustic guitar, drum overheads, male vocals, electric guitar, and toms. The stand-outs for me are toms and distorted electric guitar. My good friend uses his B1 on his vocals and acoustic guitar a lot through an RNP. I was suprised recently at how great that mic is on electric guitar. I put up my U195 for comparison purposes thinking that the sound would only get better. Much to my surprise the B1 actually fit the guitar/amp combo a little better, but the overall the sound was very similar between the two mics.

It's hard to go wrong at only $80...

Brad
Old 13th December 2003
Gear Addict

I have to agree about the B-1. I use them for drum overheads, acoustic guitar, and anything else where you want an unhyped sound. Very nice for $80. It has beaten out a U87 and a Gefell UMT800 on a few occasions here.

Beez
Old 13th December 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Chu, they're well worth trying.

Both the B1 and C1 have been proven to be viable on my voice, although they sound WAY different. They complement each other well,
especially if you'll be recording different singers.

Chris
Old 13th December 2003
Gear Addict

b1 on drum overheads, on the floor tom side, works well for me. (atm33 on the other side). b1 on acoustic guitar is good too. haven't tried it on electric guitar yet. b1 on vocals is sometimes not so good, sometimes ok. definately one of the most versatile mics in my admittadely small arsenal. thinking i should pick up a b3 one day, and the small diaghram pair (c4?).
Old 14th December 2003
Lives for gear

i think for the cash these are very respectable mics
i own a C1 and a B3,
the C1 is a great vocal mic for certian singers
it has a weird kind of pleasant fuzziness thing, good for guitar cabs
and maybe some acoustic stuff, but it doesn't give you a lot of space and clarity, it's similar to a sm7 for vocals, to me
the B3 is less colored, multi pattrn but rather sterile
i do not like it for acoustic guitar, it has a harshness and lack of character that is too evident, it could work for some singers though
very neutral, good for overheads perhaps and cabs
the C1 to me is a very good mic it has it's own thing going
YMMV, of course
by the way i own some good mics
Old 14th December 2003
Gear Nut

The B3 is somewhat similar in tone to the AKG414 TLII. Though definitely not as nice on top. Theres a similar sounding mid mid and upper mid, slightly hyped on the B3 and more neutral on the 414. The B1 does not sound at all the same as the B3 to my ears. Its smaller sounding, chunkier and not as focused in the mids, top and bottom as the B3.
Overall the B3 is probably the most useful thing studio projects came out with.
Old 14th December 2003
Lives for gear

They are generally good on drums and guitar cabs.
On vocals they are very spitty IMO. They don't necessarily EQ well either but are a good budget mic.
Old 15th December 2003
Lives for gear

I'll second the take on the B3 being a very good sounding and versatile mic.The B1 at $80 is at LEAST as good as an SM57 at $65-$75 on average.The C1 is a hit or miss on vocals but when its right,its really right.The C3 is more versatile.The C4's are very good for the price.All in all, they are quite usable mics and one can fill up a mic locker with decent sounds to compliment that two or three really high quality mics.

The B and C designations as in B1,B3 and so forth do NOT indicate a 'family' of sound.The 3's are multiple patterned while the 1's are single...but the sound is quite different.As far as the evenness of sound from mic to mic I havent found a huge difference.They are fairly consistent.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search