The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG C 460 B Mod Condenser Microphones
Old 13th September 2014
Gear Maniac

AKG C 460 B Mod

Anyone know of someone who can do a something similar to the Jim William's mod for the AKG C 460 B? I found a thread stating the 460 mod includes transformer removal, new LT opamp, Hitachi transistors, MIT caps, etc. Low end extends to 2 hz.
Old 14th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Hopefully someone can help me out here.
Old 14th September 2014
Lives for gear

I'd love to know this as well. I have two pairs of 460s, one pair is modded by Jim Williams, the other isn't. I would love to get the other pair modified at some point.
Old 15th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Anyone else who wants to know this as well?
Old 16th September 2014
What is it you don't like about your c460's? I've got a couple with ck5's and I quite like them just as they are, for certain purposes that is...
Old 16th September 2014
Gear Guru

I've thought about it, but I really love my C460B's as-is. Great alternative to my KM84s. Those two pairs and my Gefell MV691/M70's, and I'm done chasing SDCs.
Old 17th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugovanmeijeren View Post
What is it you don't like about your c460's? I've got a couple with ck5's and I quite like them just as they are, for certain purposes that is...
Nothing wrong with them. Just the Jim William's modded version is vastly superior. I'm the unlucky guy that was too late to get them while my friend has 4 and won't sell me one regardless of price lol.
Old 20th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Bump for answers!
Old 21st September 2014
Gear Maniac

Assistance in this is much needed =p
Old 21st September 2014
Gear interested

Don't do it! I have a buddy that had JW mod his 460's and to me, it just killed the mic. and he never uses them anymore. If you want a cleaner faster mic, get a different mic. the 460's a killer, just the way they are.
Old 21st September 2014
Gear Maniac

Is he in the US we can trade then
Old 21st September 2014
Lives for gear

I own a pair of 460 modded by Jim Williams..imho they sound really great.. big tight clean lowend..very pristine highs.. very detailed mic.. nice on distant miking ime.. but could also be the perfect mic for some ac gtrs..

Btw I'd call Jim and ask him.. he doesn't do these mods anymore, but he should tell you what to do..

Cheu
Old 22nd September 2014
Gear Maniac

I email him before all he stated was he no longer offered the mod.
Old 22nd September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigon View Post
I email him before all he stated was he no longer offered the mod.
He's usually helpful with these mods.. he might tell you what to do if you ask him..

Eventually you might find some of these in the used market.. maybe not now, but I saw them a couple of times in the GS classifieds..

Cheu
Old 22nd September 2014
Gear Maniac

Yeah he didn't help too much last I asked. Although I don't think it is his fault because I asked if he knew of anyone else who could do such a job. He never really answered that question but I'm guessing he doesn't know of anyone else who can do so.
Old 23rd September 2014
Gear Maniac

bump
Old 24th September 2014
Gear Maniac

bump
Old 25th September 2014
Gear Maniac

bumping for help
Old 25th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
bumping for help
As said, I'd call Jim and ask step by step what you should do for modding the mic..he might be cool with that. Then (since he's not doing this mod anymore) ask some local tech to do it on the mics.

Or buy mine for 4k.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 25th September 2014
Lives for gear

Call Jim
If anyone can and will tell you it is he, or borrow, rent, or buy one open it up and find what's inside.
Old 25th September 2014
Gear Maniac

I don't think you all are really getting the point. I am not looking for what needs to be done more so I need to find one who actually can service it. Talked to 5 major modders none of which will do it.
Old 25th September 2014
Lives for gear

Hey Spigon,

I don't know if you've seen this - but post 3 there's a guy in europe who says he can do the mods.There's a 'Bremusound' here on GS too..quite likely the same guy..Give him a shout
Old 27th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think you all are really getting the point. I am not looking for what needs to be done more so I need to find one who actually can service it. Talked to 5 major modders none of which will do it.
I don't think you get it with the right information, which Jim can give you a TV repair guy can do it for you!
Old 27th September 2014
John Bonnell in the USA mods those mics, among many others. John Bonnell Mic Mods - Frequently Asked Questions
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanriffic View Post
Hey Spigon,

I don't know if you've seen this - but post 3 there's a guy in europe who says he can do the mods.There's a 'Bremusound' here on GS too..quite likely the same guy..Give him a shout
Yes i can. But dealing with the customs is quite annoying. Maybe we can find a better solution than DHL express' services...
Old 13th October 2014
Gear Head

I emailed Jim recently asking him what his specific C460 mods are, but he hasn't replied back. He seems to normally be very helpful, and has nothing to lose by sharing this info with us all, because he doesn't do them anymore.

Anyone know where to find this info on the internet?
Old 19th December 2014
Gear Nut

I'd be interested as well. I bought a pair a while back with the intent of having JW mod them, but by the time I had the cash to do so, he had stopped doing mic mods.

I've used a pair of akg414 that he modded and they were fantastic; clean, open and sounded like you were in the room.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 19th December 2014
Are you saying you have a mic that's already been modded by Jim, and you need it serviced? If so, I'd call him and he'll help you out. I've had Jim modify 414's, console channels, compressors, and I've always communicated with him over the phone. Great guy. I know e-mails are easy and painless but that phone is still an effective form of communication.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Don't do it! I have a buddy that had JW mod his 460's and to me, it just killed the mic. and he never uses them anymore. If you want a cleaner faster mic, get a different mic. the 460's a killer, just the way they are.
That's funny, because I hear a shootout with stock 460 and JW modded and found the modded mics harsher than the stock ones, as well I found the stereo image suffered because of the mod.
But hey, it was a shootout, I didn't test this myself.

Stock they are good enough for Al Schmitt and SteveG so why not for me!

Last edited by KIDBILL; 20th January 2015 at 07:36 PM..
Old 20th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Nothing wrong with them. Just the Jim William's modded version is vastly superior. I'm the unlucky guy that was too late to get them while my friend has 4 and won't sell me one regardless of price lol.
Can you quantify superior. AKG engineers are no slouches, all of this sort of thing just gets me wondering.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search