The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundcraft ghost vs Midas F24
Old 12th September 2014
Lives for gear

Soundcraft ghost vs Midas F24

Currently have the F24, which is nice. Can get a 24 channel ghost with meter bridge for stupid cheap. Anyone compare the two? I could use 8 busses on the ghost.

Thanks
Old 12th September 2014
Gear Head

I cannot compare the two mixers, but I can say, the ghost sounds great and big, the preamps had a very nice and subtle distortion. the monitor is good as well, also the busses.
I would catch it if I can :D
Old 12th September 2014
Lives for gear

I didn't like the Ghost as much as the older Soundcrafts that came before it. I doubt it will be as good as the Midas BUT it might have a sound you prefer.
As you can see, each to his own. Try it out if possible. On the other hand, stupid cheap and working? Why not.
Old 12th September 2014
Lives for gear

I've been reading about the Ghost mods. If I were to have to have the master section modded it might take it up and past the level of the midas. So, if anyone knows, how hard is it to remove the master section to have the work done? I'm no techie...

The cost of the ghost and mod would be half of what I paid for the Midas.....
Old 13th September 2014
Lives for gear

anyone else? Midas F series vs. Ghost?
Old 12th October 2014
Gear Head
About two years ago I was working with guy who replaced his ghost with a Jim Williams modded Studio Spirit 32/8....I bought his ghost because I wanted the 8 buss and had a need for 24 individual channels....+ my Midas F24 had dropped a another channel..not sure about you but this Midas was a complete disappointment...NOTHING but problems from day 1Fire wire was neat ...but I never used it.
I love my ghost, and I'm going to get the master and a few channels upgraded...the master section not hard to pull just take your time and take a lot of photos to help you reassemble the board. in the 2 years I've had the ghost....I lost one fader....no other issues....very reliable board...at least for me it has been.
We have a series 500 in our B room...that is an easy board to work on.
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgonstudio View Post
About two years ago I was working with guy who replaced his ghost with a Jim Williams modded Studio Spirit 32/8....I bought his ghost because I wanted the 8 buss and had a need for 24 individual channels....+ my Midas F24 had dropped a another channel..not sure about you but this Midas was a complete disappointment...NOTHING but problems from day 1Fire wire was neat ...but I never used it.
I love my ghost, and I'm going to get the master and a few channels upgraded...the master section not hard to pull just take your time and take a lot of photos to help you reassemble the board. in the 2 years I've had the ghost....I lost one fader....no other issues....very reliable board...at least for me it has been.
We have a series 500 in our B room...that is an easy board to work on.
I've had my F24 for six months , bought used. No issues with anything. I think the faders are a bit on the cheap side, but they work. EQ is good. Overall the sound is clear and crisp, more open than the old venice boards.

I did have a ghost about 15 years ago, and I don't remember it well enough to compare, hence my question. I do miss the 8 busses, and routing tailored for a studio and not live...
Old 12th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown soldier View Post
I've been reading about the Ghost mods. If I were to have to have the master section modded it might take it up and past the level of the midas. So, if anyone knows, how hard is it to remove the master section to have the work done? I'm no techie...

The cost of the ghost and mod would be half of what I paid for the Midas.....
Working on the Ghost is kind if a pain. As I recall, you have to go in from the bottom. Add to which, it's not a modular board so getting at an individual channel requires removing large multichannel boards by the same method.

Haven't used the Midas.
Old 12th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Add to which, it's not a modular board so getting at an individual channel requires removing large multichannel boards by the same method.
This is absolutely incorrect. Thank you for playing: we have some wonderful parting gifts for you.

The channels in the Ghost are individual, modular boards that are fairly easy to remove once you have the bottom open (as are the sub-group and master section boards) I've done the Creation Audio Labs mods on the entire master section and half of the channels of my Ghost and found removing single channels from it to be quite simple plus the console is still quite useable even when a few of the modules were removed for modification.
Old 12th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_p View Post
This is absolutely incorrect. Thank you for playing: we have some wonderful parting gifts for you.

The channels in the Ghost are individual, modular boards that are fairly easy to remove once you have the bottom open (as are the sub-group and master section boards) I've done the Creation Audio Labs mods on the entire master section and half of the channels of my Ghost and found removing single channels from it to be quite simple plus the console is still quite useable even when a few of the modules were removed for modification.
I think I made it clear that I was going from memory. In fact I appreciate the correction, even though you've decided to be rude about it.

We had a Ghost for nearly a decade. It was a pain to work on (as in take apart) and the pres and eq we're ok at best.
Old 12th October 2014
Gear Addict

Sorry! I really wasn't trying to be rude - just goofy. I don't take myself seriously enough to be rude - at least intentionally! I guess that didn't translate as well as I'd hoped!
Old 12th October 2014
Here for the gear

For routing alone, the ghost is a bargain. Very tough to beat in that price range. My 32ch ghost has been rock solid.
Old 12th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_p View Post
Sorry! I really wasn't trying to be rude - just goofy. I don't take myself seriously enough to be rude - at least intentionally! I guess that didn't translate as well as I'd hoped!
Ah, my apologies--- it's hard not to interpret a certain tone of voice online sometimes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
just to put some more opinion about the comparison…

The Ghost Eq section and that of the Venice F series
appear similar , but what about the sound side ?

..and as well the Venice F eq is the same of that on the Heritage and Legend 3000 ?

thanks for any contribute ,

cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
The Ghost can sound pretty good but has limited headroom. It’s not the kind of board that sounds good pushed, like at all. The mic pres are kind of plasticky sounding, but we had enough outboard not to need them.

But, great sounding tracks mixed on a Ghost can sound... great. It just doesn’t add anything particularly musical the way, in my experience, an API 1608 does.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgonstudio View Post
a Jim Williams modded Studio Spirit 32/8.....
those spirits 32/8s were good.

i cut over 200 albums on one of those.

never broke down ever. no faults of any kind.

the PSU needed a capacitor just once...

Buddha
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
those spirits 32/8s were good.

i cut over 200 albums on one of those.

never broke down ever. no faults of any kind.

the PSU needed a capacitor just once...

Buddha
i cut probably about the same amount of albums on a tascam m3700 and an amek big and also thought they were good - but a soundcraft spirit?!

i modded a spirit studio to get more pre-fader auxes for live use: didn't last long and i switched to much larger (used) vienna and europa desks (which got occasional studio use): THOSE were pretty cool!

anyway, not meant to put you down, on the contrary: a mediocre tool in the right hands is worth a lot!

p.s. regarding the original topic: my pick would clearly have been the midas - got to work on both and much preferred the midas (soundwise).

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 4 weeks ago at 10:32 PM.. Reason: p.s. added
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search