The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why do many fancy monitor controllers lack a "musicians" knob for cue mix?
Old 10th September 2014
Here for the gear

Monitor controllers with separate volume knob for aux input

I'm wondering what options are available for higher end monitor controllers that have a controllable auxiliary input volume. I'd like to blend the direct signal from my preamps with the DAW playback while overdubbing, and have a nice easy volume knob control for the vocal signal ( or what ever I'm overdubbing ) coming from the patch bay (pre DAW).

I've checked with support at Dangerous Audio and Burl Audio, and none of their products do this. The one I've found so far that does it is the SPL MTC, but I've heard mixed reviews on it.

Would appreciate any ideas you may have.

Last edited by bunratty; 10th September 2014 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: new information
Old 11th September 2014
Deleted 7f9cade
I understand you are talking about high end gear, but is the feature you're talking about something like the "Blend" or "Mix" knob on the Mbox or other USB interfaces?

I think the trick with those entry level boxes is that the monitoring, preamps, and conversion all happen under the same hood. Thats how they can blend the sound of the input of the preamps and balance that with the output from the DAW.

In theory this could be done but don't think any high end box has this feature.

You would need to "Mult" the signal from preamps so they could reach both the Multitrack or DAW AND reach the monitor controller in order for it to blend the preamp signal with the playback. Easy enough if you only have 2 inputs but on a higher channel count rig in the 24+ range. That would be alot of extra cables and inputs

Still a good idea.
Old 11th September 2014
Because most interfaces have a software cue mixer to do this? Generally a more flexible option.
Old 11th September 2014
Is the delay (Latency) of the conversion feel bad for you? (or the performers)
Old 11th September 2014
Lives for gear

Check out the Coleman QS8 I think it does what you want
Old 11th September 2014
Here for the gear

Great, thanks a lot for the ideas. Right now I'm taking a mult from my patch bay and running it into a small mixer and blending it with the output of my audio interface (a cranesong hedd with raydat pcie). My mixer is awful sounding though. Just hoping to take my game up a notch. I'm now thinking I will just get a decent monitor controller and attenuate the direct signal to an aux by putting either the small mixer, or my little labs multi z in the path. Not sure why I'm so obsessed with monitoring my inputs, the software cue mix does sound fine too. But when recording vocals, especially, it's nice to have that pure feedback. Thanks for your thoughts on it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search