The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrading Mackie HR824's
Old 3rd January 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

This has got to be the first time I've ever seen someone not prefer the Dyn's to the Mackies.

I'm shocked.
Lives for gear

Do you have the -10 / +4 switches set right? Your CD player is probably -10. If you had the switch set to +4 and it was only getting a -10 signal I imagine that could do it. I had a pair of Mackies and switched to the BM6As and the Mackies are definitely louder, but the BM6As can still go loud enough to hurt my ears.
Lives for gear

why is it shocking that someone prefers the mackies over the dynaudio's?

Should everyone like the same speakers for the same reasons? We are thankfully all free to chose which speakers are best for our needs and preferences and i prefer the mackies.
Lives for gear

Even at -10 they "red light" way too easily.
Lives for gear

That's very sad Dopamine. Your sincerity is well apreciated.

I have the Mackies too, but as someone else said, they don't translate well for me in the low end. They are prety sweet in the mid thou (maybe too much for my taste). My other pair (NS-10) are not the best low end reference either.

I've been thinking in a switch as well, but for my 11' x 18' room I can't decide between the the ADAMs A7 or S3a. I would love to try them but there is just water and sand in this small island (oh,...some people too).

So...I'm in the same boat with you.
Keep posting please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
This has got to be the first time I've ever seen someone not prefer the Dyn's to the Mackies.

I'm shocked.
Well I'm the second, I had a pair of BM15p's that didnt work here at all.
Gear Addict

I'll second the ASP-8's - for me they're alot easier to check mixes on than the mackies.
I've still got the mackies set up, so I can go back and forth between the two, and the mackies sound wooly compared to the Events. More bottom, but sloppy.
They're about the same price, but the Events just seem more detailed.

Not a big fan of the dyns- mixed on 'em for two weeks, and never got comfortable.

to each his own...

Dave Darling
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
What sub are you using? I have a Yamaha HS10W sub, do you think this combo would work?
That sub sucks (muddy). The SW10 is great, though.

EDIT: sorry. Just realized you already have it. Oh well...
Old 6th January 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

My dealer won't take the return so I am selling them and buying another pair of the Mackies. If anyone is interested please email or PM.
Lives for gear

Event asp8
Lives for gear

I have a pair of older Mackie HR 824's and I don't think I will ever part with them. I produce pop rock stuff and I have always found that if you can get a good sound on the Mackies it will translate well to most systems. I would spend your money somewhere else, but that's just my opinion.

J. Mike Perkins jmikeperkins.com
Old 6th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
When I got back into doing more rock and pop oriented stuff, I got into some serious trouble with the Mackie's. The 824's have a bump in the midrange and a dip somewhere between 100-250 (it's been awhile). What this means (especially working on rock stuff with heavy guitars) is that you'll get a mix up where the guitars are right in your face and the bass is nice and solid in the control room but take it out to the car and the guitars (and sometimes the vocal) are knocked down considerably and the low end seems "loose".
I have to agree with this. I mainly do loud rock stuff. In my control room, the 824's were giving me this problem. The bass frequencies never kicked ass outside of the room like it did inside, and there wasn't enough high frequency information.

I ended up purchasing some Dynaudio BM5As. They ended up helping out quite a bit, but they don't get as loud as the Mackies. However, I find that they also do not give me the ear fatigue that the Mackies do.

I'm considering selling my 824s. However, I might use them in a home stereo setup. I'm also thinking of finding space to use them alongside the BM5As. It doesn't hurt to have another monitor perspective when mixing.

Here's one more thought. Perhaps, I never got the settings right on the back of the 824's. I think it would be interesting to roll the high frequencies off on the back of the monitors and try that.
Lives for gear
I don't own either the Mackies or the Dyns, but the other day I did an A/B/C test with the Mackie 824s (new), Dynaudio BM5as, and the JBL LSR4312 (I think).

JBLs sucked. Absolutely sucked. Put it this way... they sound like they look.

Mackies were the first I listened to... they sounded good. Really good. A little blurry in the 200-800 hz range. But otherwise great.

The Dynaudios were suprisingly powerful in the 2-5K range. I can see how people could call that "clarity" and "definition", but I can see it becoming very fatiguing for long periods of time. I didn't hear a lot of low-mid to low end out of these, but then again I didn't spend a good amount of time with the whole comparison. I also didn't check to see how they were set on the rear panel.

If I had to chose one right now, I'd chose the Mackies. I'd really like to hear more of the Dyns though. And I really want to hear the Yamaha HS80Ms, although I'm sure most people here would crap on them.
Gear Maniac

I have the HR 824's along with the Mackie sub and it's great. I get great consistant mixes. And if a client comes in I can crank the hell out of them and leave them in awe.

The thing I didn't get about your first post is that you said you were getting great mixes on your Mackies, but wanted a change. Why fix what's not broken? I guess you learned your lesson. Come back over to Mackie land! heh
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
Sorry to hear about this. Thing is its fashionable on here to bash the mackies but ive tested them extensively against bm15's and 6's, and against the old genelec 1030 and new 8050 and i still preferred the mackies every single time. Ive never seen the good side of the dynaudio range, they just sound boxy to me......

100% there !!!

I tested bm6 , gens 1031 , some other ... and 824 ..... IMHO 824 blew them .... more music .... really not flatering bad mixes like Dyns ( that is why everybodly like it ) and I had no money issues ..... nor I liked some more than the others .... I just used my ears .... never regreted it ..... and for me , sub for stereo audio is a bad idea ( IMO ) it is just that I never follow this threads because ppl are bashing things like mackies or even Avalon ( 737) on this forum frequently ......

Cheers

Max
Old 30th January 2007 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anteupaudio View Post
Hi,

I spent a long time with the 824's. Back a few years ago (when I was mixing mostly rap and R&B) I loved them. The low end on them was great and they can really take a beating. When I got back into doing more rock and pop oriented stuff, I got into some serious trouble with the Mackie's. The 824's have a bump in the midrange and a dip somewhere between 100-250 (it's been awhile). What this means (especially working on rock stuff with heavy guitars) is that you'll get a mix up where the guitars are right in your face and the bass is nice and solid in the control room but take it out to the car and the guitars (and sometimes the vocal) are knocked down considerably and the low end seems "loose". After losing my mind about this for a few days and asking around a LOT a friend of mine (who's done a lot of major work) recommended Paradigm Mini Monitors. I laughed at him since these are $400.00 per pair non-powered monitors made for home applications and in addition to the 824's I had a set of Genelec's sitting in a closet collecting dust. He found a place in town who sold them, bought a pair and told me to pick them up saying that if I liked them I could buy them and otherwise he'd keep them at the studio for himself.

Long story short, I hooked them up and heard EXACTLY what I was hearing in my car, on my B&W's at home, and in the little JVC boom-box I check things on from time to time. I'm amazed at these little monitors and how well they translate. I have used them exclusively for the past couple of years. For this price (if you already have an amp laying around) you could KEEP your 824's and add a pair of these. I've had so many engineers (some of them pretty major hitters) through my studio in the past year or two who have fallen in love with these monitors. I highly recommend checking them out.

Michael
If you are ever in Columbus, Ohio look me up as I owe you dinner and some drinks man. I was just about ready to slit my wrist (not kidding really). No matter what I have tried I could never get a mix I could trust outside of the control room, with the Mackie 824's. When you have projects are stacked up 5 deep and people are losing Patience it becomes even more imperative to have mixes you can trust. I was about to drop a considerable sum (to me any way), to get replacement monitors and read your post. The local paradigm dealer was not answering the phone and in the meantime I learned about a fellow Canadian company called Axiom. They have a similar speaker called the M3V2. I was going to buy a set of their larger speakers for a mid grade mastering/Audiophile system anyway. To make a long story short. After hooking them up with a nicely matched amp I listened to a few reference cd's, and in less than an hour started un-hooking the Mackies and my JBL's. It was a rather ballsy move I guess, as I had a few new projects that were production in nature and were going to be recorded mixed and out the door in a time frame that left no time for the usual agony of taking my mix listening to it elsewhere and going back to make the fixes (sound familiar anyone?) several times and still not trusting it. Anyway, the Band comes in records, takes recording home. Next week I hear it on the radio, I was floored but what really got me was the DJ's compliment on how well the recording was done.

I Had another session yesterday and was enjoying the mix with my wife and when the cd was over I switched over to the radio and three songs later another band that I had just mixed on the speakers was on. And I have another in the pipe that is sonically better than the others. Long post I know and not everything works for everybody. But I listened carefully to what my mentors were saying and made an educated decision and will never look back! Anyway I have been hearing comments like "as good as anything that has ever came out of so and so studio." And business is brisk.. You saved me a ton of money and I am enjoying my job again. Thanks., Plus I can now understand why the Mackies and others would not work for me. Now I look foreword to listening to my mixes on other stuff so I can hear how good it sounds. It is just as you stated. If anyone is looking for a set of 824's I will sell them or trade em.
Gear Nut

I bought the HR824’s when they first came out (Ouch high price tag ) and mixed on them for about 3 years. They fall in the category either you love them or hate them. In my case, it would take me a long time to get the mix correct if that. I would have to switch back and forth to other monitors and play back on other systems. It took me all that time to get used to them somewhat but by then I decided to sell them. They are good monitors but monitors can be very subjective. Other people and studios do perfect mixes on them. I would say a room treatment should be considered first before deciding on monitors.
dxl
Gear Head

if you cant mix with XX speaker just go try others
i cant mix on ASP8... the mid bass response is too low for my taste and i just cant get used to the mid range and it's 3d sound scape
824 isnt as 3d but much easier to under stande
1031... bm6a.... i'm really not used to having so little mid range response

upgrade ur DA will also help!!
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins View Post
I have a pair of older Mackie HR 824's and I don't think I will ever part with them. I produce pop rock stuff and I have always found that if you can get a good sound on the Mackies it will translate well to most systems. I would spend your money somewhere else, but that's just my opinion.

J. Mike Perkins jmikeperkins.com
I found totally the opposite, I had Mackies for 3 years and had the most awful problems with the low end. I write hard dance music and just thought that it was my mixing abilities that were letting me down.

I then brought a set of NS-10m's and a good sub bass, I hated the sound at first, but loved thed it after I tried my mixes on car stereo, ipod and home hi-fi. I then went back and played all my Mackie mixes through NS-10's...damn they sounded bad.

3 other producers I know have got rid of their mackies, we feel like they have been telling us lies about our mixes he he. NS-10's are cliches for a reason. Yes they sound like ****, are hard to lisen to for long sessions...but they tell you whats wrong with a mix straight away. You need a good sub though.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max headroom View Post
100% there !!!

really not flatering bad mixes like Dyns ( that is why everybodly like it )

Max
Max, I respectfully disagree.
I could hear (very acurately) problems, imaging and passages on the dyns that the 824 could simply not produce. Especially in the highs. I mix mostly classical and jazz, maybe I have a different take on these?

Cheers!
Don
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Max, I respectfully disagree.
I could hear (very acurately) problems, imaging and passages on the dyns that the 824 could simply not produce. Especially in the highs. I mix mostly classical and jazz, maybe I have a different take on these?

Cheers!
Don

I had them side by side for months ....

They have less bas so it does not cloud the mids and highs, cut them on 45 HZ or 80 hz , and there is no difference . I just fin Dyns very flattering , and some job that needs to be done sounds very good on them ..... not with the Wackies though.....

,,,, and yes , I hvae tried them in 3 different studios .....

Cheers

Max
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Patterson View Post
If you are ever in Columbus, Ohio look me up as I owe you dinner and some drinks man. I was just about ready to slit my wrist (not kidding really). No matter what I have tried I could never get a mix I could trust outside of the control room, with the Mackie 824's. When you have projects are stacked up 5 deep and people are losing Patience it becomes even more imperative to have mixes you can trust. I was about to drop a considerable sum (to me any way), to get replacement monitors and read your post. The local paradigm dealer was not answering the phone and in the meantime I learned about a fellow Canadian company called Axiom. They have a similar speaker called the M3V2. I was going to buy a set of their larger speakers for a mid grade mastering/Audiophile system anyway. To make a long story short. After hooking them up with a nicely matched amp I listened to a few reference cd's, and in less than an hour started un-hooking the Mackies and my JBL's. It was a rather ballsy move I guess, as I had a few new projects that were production in nature and were going to be recorded mixed and out the door in a time frame that left no time for the usual agony of taking my mix listening to it elsewhere and going back to make the fixes (sound familiar anyone?) several times and still not trusting it. Anyway, the Band comes in records, takes recording home. Next week I hear it on the radio, I was floored but what really got me was the DJ's compliment on how well the recording was done.

I Had another session yesterday and was enjoying the mix with my wife and when the cd was over I switched over to the radio and three songs later another band that I had just mixed on the speakers was on. And I have another in the pipe that is sonically better than the others. Long post I know and not everything works for everybody. But I listened carefully to what my mentors were saying and made an educated decision and will never look back! Anyway I have been hearing comments like "as good as anything that has ever came out of so and so studio." And business is brisk.. You saved me a ton of money and I am enjoying my job again. Thanks., Plus I can now understand why the Mackies and others would not work for me. Now I look foreword to listening to my mixes on other stuff so I can hear how good it sounds. It is just as you stated. If anyone is looking for a set of 824's I will sell them or trade em.

Man can I RELATE! I've re-arranged my room, Treated it, and I STILL fight the Mackies. Now things are starting to clear up a little, though I'm not nuts about the sound. even big commercial Mixes. That's the room I guess though.

I noticed the freq response isn't very flat on those. Have you noticed and problems? They are affordable enough to try. I have a home stereo that I have a switcher on that I use for alternate speakers. One Slot is still free.

Any comparisons to the Mini Monitors?
📝 Reply