The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Good Producers?????
Old 20th November 2006
Gear Addict

J. Robbins might be a good choice, although I don't know if he'll travel (he's in Baltimore). I know he's known for emo stuff, but he's really inventive and a great engineer whose stuff manages to sound both slick AND exciting/live. Also, he's got a good head for texture, which si something that sticks out to me when I think of the Bends and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. He's got a MySpace page (/magpiecage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by decobred View Post
So I don't know if I have the right forum or site really, but I'm trying to find a good producer(who would also have to engineer) for a record I'm starting sometime in the next 5-6 months. I want to get a solid list together and weed it out to who I'd really like and see if they'll even take it. I'm funding it and have a fairly small but flexible budget. So if anybody wants to offer up any recommendations I would love to hear them. I'm sort of looking for a direction like Radiohead - The Bends Supergrass - Road To Rouen Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.......and anything else that can be lumped in this somewhat broad group. Thanks.

ps. I'm in Raleigh NC with a ton of great gear and a sweet house on a lake to do this record in. (Neve/API/SSL/Chandler/GML/Teletronix/Pultec/Neumann/and a mellotron)
Old 21st November 2006
Gear Head

Thanks Gregg and Hurricane for those names, I'll check them out. Also Thanks to everybody who has posted, you have given me more to think about.
Old 21st November 2006
Gear Addict

Gottta add one more: Dave Barbe in Athens. He probably won't travel, but might be worth visiting; GREAT guy, great producer, great engineer. -E
Old 21st November 2006
Here for the gear

Hello

I would be interested in submitting a reel if you are still looking for someone. I am based out of Charlotte and am not opposed to travel. I have a room here if you wanted a change of scenery.

Patrick Boyd
[email protected]
803-517-1429
www.patrickboydmusic.com
www.chpaudio.com
Old 5th February 2008
Gear Head

Hey everybody. Long time no see. I just wanted to thank everyone for their help in this thread. All I really wanted was to find a producer, but despite all the help, it turned out to be not as helpful as I hoped. So I contacted Mixerman on a whim, and he ended up making my record for 40k. It was little more than I wanted to spend, but holy sh*t it's great! Honestly, I wasn't prepared to spend that kind of money, but he really knew how to talk me up. He listened to my songs first, and he loved them, and was quite interested in the project. Then he put a budget together, mapping out all that we'd need, including his price, which turned out to be a healthy percentage of the entire budget. Oddly though, this made me feel good cause as many of you pointed out, a real pro wouldn't come out to NC for 30k. This was true! Mixerman didn't really understand the Radiohead reference at all. He heard all sorts of other great influences, that I didn't even realize were there. He convinced me to record in a "real" studio, and to avoid working in my normal environment. Although, we did Uhaul all my vintage gear (which he loved BTW), to the "real" studio that we worked at. He said we had more gear than he's had on some $500,000 sessions. He couldn't even use it all, and believe me, he tried. Anyway, the record is done now. It's everything I hoped for. It sounds awesome. He helped me sing like I've never sung before. He made me comfortable in the studio. He got incredible performances out of the band. He recorded us on 2". We used a Neve 8068. He even helped convince me to rewrite the lyric on one song, and man was he right. I'm so glad I ended up working with Mixerman.It would have never happened if it weren't for this thread. Anyway, thanks again everyone, now I'm going to go make some money with it (Mixerman's helping with that too!)
Old 5th February 2008
Lives for gear

That's great that everything worked out. Best of luck with the getting the record out now that its done.
Old 5th February 2008
Lives for gear

Great to read one of these threads that has a resolution! Best of luck with the next step.
Good news- I love it!thumbsup
Old 5th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek View Post
I´m sure the 001 could fit in a carry on. haaaaaaaaahaha couldn´t help it sorry : )

Le hehehehe

I need to reread the rest of the thread but this is too funny.

BWahahahahahaha

001 in a carry on... Killing me here!!

Cheers,
Aardvark

P.S. Your hockey insouscience is still highly noted!!

Last edited by aardvark; 5th February 2008 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: Important hockey reference added!
Old 5th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Dominant View Post
Greedy, your locally-based vanity project hardly counts as an example of what we're talking about here.
Too ****in funny

I mean

The whole thread...

malice
Old 5th February 2008
Gear Nut

VERY entertaining thread.....

So can you post some of the tracks from the "pro" studio??

-Kyle

Last edited by rebuskyle; 5th February 2008 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: re-write
Old 6th February 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by decobred View Post
Hey everybody. Long time no see. I just wanted to thank everyone for their help in this thread. All I really wanted was to find a producer, but despite all the help, it turned out to be not as helpful as I hoped. So I contacted Mixerman on a whim, and he ended up making my record for 40k. It was little more than I wanted to spend, but holy sh*t it's great! Honestly, I wasn't prepared to spend that kind of money, but he really knew how to talk me up. He listened to my songs first, and he loved them, and was quite interested in the project. Then he put a budget together, mapping out all that we'd need, including his price, which turned out to be a healthy percentage of the entire budget. Oddly though, this made me feel good cause as many of you pointed out, a real pro wouldn't come out to NC for 30k. This was true! Mixerman didn't really understand the Radiohead reference at all. He heard all sorts of other great influences, that I didn't even realize were there. He convinced me to record in a "real" studio, and to avoid working in my normal environment. Although, we did Uhaul all my vintage gear (which he loved BTW), to the "real" studio that we worked at. He said we had more gear than he's had on some $500,000 sessions. He couldn't even use it all, and believe me, he tried. Anyway, the record is done now. It's everything I hoped for. It sounds awesome. He helped me sing like I've never sung before. He made me comfortable in the studio. He got incredible performances out of the band. He recorded us on 2". We used a Neve 8068. He even helped convince me to rewrite the lyric on one song, and man was he right. I'm so glad I ended up working with Mixerman.It would have never happened if it weren't for this thread. Anyway, thanks again everyone, now I'm going to go make some money with it (Mixerman's helping with that too!)

Point taken.
Old 4th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuskyle View Post
VERY entertaining thread.....

So can you post some of the tracks from the "pro" studio??

-Kyle
BUMP this, would like to hear it, any youtube stuff by now!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search