The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help choosing microphone
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Nut
Help choosing microphone

I need some help picking a good microphone for my voice. I intend to rent a few microphones, but I need some help narrowing down which ones I should actually hire (it's about 40 euros a day for just one mic...). I have submitted a short fragment of me singing. The vocals were recorded with an AT 4033 in my untreated bedroom. Bear in mind that these were just guide tracks for the other musicians. To eliminate some room noise I have bought the PVB and some micro traps from real traps.

I have a pacifica p-1, a PVB, micro traps and a duet 1.

Microphones that I can rent:

Neumann U87
Telefunken R-F-T AK47
Telefunken R-F-T M16
Neumann M147
AKG C414 XL or ULS
Neumann U89
Royer R-122
Peluso 2247 SE
Peluso P67
Telfunken CU29 copperhead
Attached Files

My Song.mp3 (1.26 MB, 182 views)

Old 26th August 2014
Gear Nut
some more singing.
Attached Files

My Song 2.mp3 (2.90 MB, 112 views)

Old 26th August 2014
Lives for gear

What's wrong with the AT?
Your vox/music sounds nice & reminds me of a Pedro Asnar with Pat Metheny vibe.

If money is not a problem, you should look into (alphabetically) Bock, Brauner, Josephson & Sony.
Today there are so many other boutique mic companies that are escaping my mind right now. I'm sure others will chime in.
Of your list, I could only recommend (based on experience & not having tried the entire list) the traditional U89 & C414EB or B-ULS.
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Nut
Well, I only had the AT for a couple of days, so right now I have nothing...
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
What's wrong with the AT?
Your vox/music sounds nice & reminds me of a Pedro Asnar with Pat Metheny vibe.

If money is not a problem, you should look into (alphabetically) Bock, Brauner, Josephson & Sony.
Today there are so many other boutique mic companies that are escaping my mind right now. I'm sure others will chime in.
Of your list, I could only recommend (based on experience & not having tried the entire list) the traditional U89 & C414EB or B-ULS.
I second this. That AT sounds pretty good!

As far as renting something, I would honestly just either grab the U87 and the 414. All that Telefunken jazz (CU29, AK and M16) is easily captured by the C414. It may not be exactly the same, but the C414 is gonna sound great regardless.

I'm not to keen on using a R-122 on vocals. For me the ribbon just doesn't do it. If you were looking to have a ribbon on vox, I couldn't recommend the AEA R84 enough! I also honestly hate anything Peluso makes. Both the P67 and P2247 sound so harsh when compared to an actual U47 and U67. Last time I heard a P67 it made me cringe to the point I was scared to hear any more clips of it.

That leaves the U89, U87, M147 and C414. In which, I'd keep the U87, M147 and C414. All would cover your bases pretty well. You'd also have three exceptionally awesome vocals mics and could cover anything that you threw at them!
Old 26th August 2014
I'd have to rent a few if I was you, the U87, M147 and C414 and see which one suits your voice more
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Nut
Thanks for the replies! I am interested in the AEA R84.
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Nut
Just to explain further: I have a small room 4m x 3m. I'll be using a portable vocal booth (real traps) with some micro traps behind me.
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear

Not sure I would pay 40 euros a day for any of those mics. For 3 days of rental you could buy a 4033 (at least in us.)
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I think you'd be money ahead booking studio time with one that has a good mic locker, rather than renting a few at a time. You'd go bankrupt, and wouldn't be able to do effect A/B comparisons.
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryk1989 View Post
I second this. That AT sounds pretty good!

As far as renting something, I would honestly just either grab the U87 and the 414. All that Telefunken jazz (CU29, AK and M16) is easily captured by the C414. It may not be exactly the same, but the C414 is gonna sound great regardless.

I'm not to keen on using a R-122 on vocals. For me the ribbon just doesn't do it. If you were looking to have a ribbon on vox, I couldn't recommend the AEA R84 enough! I also honestly hate anything Peluso makes. Both the P67 and P2247 sound so harsh when compared to an actual U47 and U67. Last time I heard a P67 it made me cringe to the point I was scared to hear any more clips of it.

That leaves the U89, U87, M147 and C414. In which, I'd keep the U87, M147 and C414. All would cover your bases pretty well. You'd also have three exceptionally awesome vocals mics and could cover anything that you threw at them!
+1! Good suggestions here..
the AT sounds fine though.. try to test the U89, U87 and the 414.. these are classics for a reason.

fwiw I have a BeesNeez Mahalia (U67 clone) for sale in the classifieds (which might also fit nicely), for who might be interested... sorry for the shameless plug.

Cheu
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear
If you can try a Pearlman TM-47, I think you would be quite pleased. It will add depth and warmth That I think would suit your voice. The AT 4033 sounds a thin. No real punch.
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Nut
I won't be able to try the Pearlman, but it looks damn tasty!
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Nut
Right now the only mics I can hire are the U87, C414, and telefunken cu-29. I can't hire the AEA r84, and I guess it won't sound too great in my small room.
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefire View Post
Right now the only mics I can hire are the U87, C414, and telefunken cu-29. I can't hire the AEA r84, and I guess it won't sound too great in my small room.
C414 and U87 all day then.. Nothing against the CU-29 though. Just the 414 and U87 have way more applications.
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
I won't be able to try the Pearlman, but it looks damn tasty!
That's a shame, because i think your vox would sound awesome through it!

Given the choices that you have for renting, I think the U87 would be your best bet. Make sure to listen to the mics in the context of a mix. Some mics sound great by themselves, but horrible in a full mix. As someone mentioned earlier, it may be in your best interest to find a studio with a nice selection of mics and book some time there. It may be more cost effective than renting. Of course a downside to that is the recording/listening environment will be different than your room. However, you can try to find a studio with a vocal booth (rather than an open room). It would probably be easier for you to simulate something like it in your current room depending on how much you want to spend on room treatment. Also, you may decide to record in a completely different room in the future.
Old 27th August 2014
Quote:
Thanks for the replies! I am interested in the AEA R84.
It needs a special preamp to get the best out of it, and I rarely say this about any mic. The TRP is the best combo for the cost conscious I've heard. However, my favorite on that mic is the Forssell SMP-2a hands down (I have the high gain option).

Also, don't forget to try the back of the mic: it's different. Don't be surprised if it doesn't work for your voice, though. It's hit or miss. If it's a miss, keep it anyway.
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep, unless is well treated... but the r84 (like the coles 4038), while very nice on certain vocals and/or genres, are not mics that you could use on every production... but I like them a lot! heh for your stuff might be pretty good..smokey.. but you need a very good room. (not that you don't need it with a condenser, but due to the pattern might be easier to control the room).

U87 and 414 (the 414 should at least be one with the old mechanical switch, not the new ushbutton ones) will fare pretty good with a nice pre. if you are looking for a more natural tone the U89 might be the ticket.

Cheu
Old 27th August 2014
IMO the R84s don't need the room to be better than most other mics. However, you need to be keenly aware of the back side of the mic, what it's doing, and how to take advantage of it. The tight figure 8 pattern is narrow and can make up for its vulnerability from the back. In addition, the back is different than the front so there's extra versatility there.
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Nut
Maybe the R84DJV would be more suitable for me? But it's a bit more expensive than the r84...
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Nut
Well, my room is small. But I have a carpet on the floor and I will have a portable vocal booth and three micro traps soon. This will block some of the room sound and deaden the room. Is it stupid to even consider a r84 in a small room, even with the booth and panels?
Old 27th August 2014
Quote:
Well, my room is small. But I have a carpet on the floor and I will have a portable vocal booth and three micro traps soon. This will block some of the room sound and deaden the room. Is it stupid to even consider a r84 in a small room, even with the booth and panels?
What are the dimensions? Whether or not it works on your voice could rule out everything even if the room is heavily treated. I don't like the R84 on my voice, but it's still my favorite mic, and my room is relatively small (15' × 14' x 9'H). However, I will say that it's VERY well treated, which makes using it easier.
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Nut
4m x 3.7m. I have attached a schematic drawing of the room, it's triangular.
Attached Thumbnails
Help choosing microphone-d.jpg  
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
I'd have to rent a few if I was you, the U87, M147 and C414 and see which one suits your voice more
Yep, those three mics should cover the bases.
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Nut

Grab a U87 and C414 and be done with it. Don't go straight to tube (M147, although it is Cardiod), your room is not even in tip-top shape. The C414 has (Wide-Cardiod, Hyper-Cardiod and Cardiod) so it may prove more useful then the U87 actually. The U87's cardiod setting has a decent rejection, but is prone to pick-up nearly anything. The C414 sounds great on just about anything as well. From Acoustic Guitar, to Vocals, to Bass, to Overheads. I'd start with the C-414, perhaps the U87 too. See how they react in your semi-treated room and make my decision based on which sounds better.

(I fear the room not being properly treated may cause the Tube-M147 may get a little muddly and suffer from flutter echo and room noise a lot worse then the C414 and or U87. However, the C414 in Hyper-Cardiod will pick-up the least amount of room noise and or flutter echo)
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Nut
Which c414 model?

Would a telefunken cu29 pick up more noise than a c414?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search