The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Kick drum Mic'ing- just the batter side?
Old 17th November 2006
Gear Head

Kick drum Mic'ing- just the batter side?

Hello all,

I'm mic'ing an old Ludwing 22" - 70's kick drum, No hole in the resonant head, coated heads on each side. I've tried using just a ribbon mic on the batter head (an avatone c14 from the analogindustries group buy) with decent results, but its missing that "big" kick sound. The resonant head is just too ringy though when i put a mic in front.

Any ideas of a solution to micing a bonham style kick with no hole in the front head?
Old 17th November 2006
Gear Maniac

If the reso head is tuned to your liking, but too ringy, why not just put a tiny bit of dampening on the outside...blanket just touching a bit until the ring is under control?

I would stick the ribbon out in front of the reso head cause they accel there, nice and creamy!

You will most likely need another mic right at the beater (sm57 works well) to catch a bit of snap.

What type of kick sound are you going for? I guess that is the real question here.
Old 17th November 2006
Gear Head

I'm going for a big classic rock-ish kick sound. not too much attack, more of a booming sound. The kick sounds this way in the room to begin with...so i guess thats the basic part. I will try a blanket on the resonant head with a 57, maybe it will do the trick

thanks!
Old 17th November 2006
Gear Maniac

ok, ya I missed the whole "Bohnam style" thing at the bottom of your post.

A lot of times they miked his kick like I explained...one out in front of the reso head and one on the beater...you wont need much of the beater mic, just a little bit.

use the ribbon or a nice LDC in front of the reso...experiment with the distance from the head, it will make a big difference in tone. I have used ribbons out in front of the reso and they are my favourite for this.
Old 17th November 2006
Gear Maniac

P.S. Maybe your reso head is too tight if you are getting a lot of ring...loosen her up.
Old 17th November 2006
Gear Addict

I can best describe drum tuning like this...

Envision the sound you're going for. Imagine the tone. When you envision that sound does the pitch go low to high... or high to low? If the batter head is tuned tighter than the resonant head, it will go high to low (and vice versa). I usually tune all but the floor tom high to low. You're gonna want that resonant head pretty loose, too. You guys probably know this already, just thought I'd throw in my teenage wisdom.
Old 17th November 2006
Lives for gear

If you mic just the batter side its your funeral if you ask me. I would have to mic the thud of the kit. I would have to mic the outside head.
Old 17th November 2006
Gear Guru

A well tuned, well treated kick can record just fine from the front head. A lot of ring can be dealt with just by zeroing in on good tuning.

For the rest of it, there are a number of types of drum heads available that control ring without killing it altogether. You could also open up the drum and put something inside and put the heads back on.

The sound off the front head is somewhat delayed and diffused, so it isn't going to work too well for those double pedal 16th note triplet runs. Batter side only can work, but you will have to deal with snare bleed and pedal noise. I would hedge my bets and mic the front as well.
Old 17th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Yep, i'd suggest a LDC or Ribbon mic out in front of the kick, like at least a foot back if not more. This combined with a close mic somewhere on either side of the kick should get you close. You will have to play with mic plcemnt a lot if you are not able to get the drum to sound good in the room.

micah
Old 17th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the russian View Post
I can best describe drum tuning like this...

Envision the sound you're going for. Imagine the tone. When you envision that sound does the pitch go low to high... or high to low? If the batter head is tuned tighter than the resonant head, it will go high to low (and vice versa). I usually tune all but the floor tom high to low. You're gonna want that resonant head pretty loose, too. You guys probably know this already, just thought I'd throw in my teenage wisdom.
Cool. Do you subscribe to tuning to the shell?
Old 18th November 2006
Lives for gear

Bonham

Stick that ribbon about 3 ft in front of the kit and fairly low. You will get a little bit of room and that low end you are looking for. You will have to experiment with the final position but when you blend it with the close kick mic you can balance up the amount of pnch and low end.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search