The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I am about to make a mistake? 500 Series Preamps
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

I am about to make a mistake?

I own a Lindell series 500 preamp and have been tracking Analog Synths with it.

I was about to buy another one for stereo pair but after shopping around I found a really good deal.

So good in fact I am considering buy 3 instead of 1.

Is having 4 of the same preamp a good idea?
Old 7th August 2014
If you really like them on a variety of things, why not? Personally I have a wide variety but that's just me, not including the multiple channels of the same type of preamp in my interfaces.
Old 7th August 2014
Jai guru deva om

This is a non-issue and unfortunately an idea that could be delivered by only reading online forums about gear. Not long ago the preamps in the large mixing console were used without question, and our favorite records were made that way. I would advise buying what you want and not worrying about what forums think!

War
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks Warren it was actually your Clipalator that made me choose the 6x500 in the first place to me it sounded just as good as the more expensive modules but at the same time different.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear
I prefer to be able to do a basic drumset with all the same pres, which means at least 6 of the same, 8 is better. Even on from there I would rather have 4 of the same pre than 4 different ones, and then maybe 4 more of the same.

After maybe 8:4:4 I might be more inclined to start throwing in some singular pieces or stereo ones for different flavors here and there. Personally I would not want only 8 different stereo pairs but YMMV.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Not long ago the preamps in the large mixing console were used without question, and our favorite records were made that way.
War
This.

I'm more than halfway convinced that this imparted some degree of "glue" to records made with consoles rather than individual preamps. I don't know what percentage of how much more I like those era recordings to give to that one factor, but I'm more than halfway convinced that it deserves some credit.

I think it's a plus, not a minus.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz411 View Post
I own a Lindell series 500 preamp and have been tracking Analog Synths with it.

I was about to buy another one for stereo pair but after shopping around I found a really good deal.

So good in fact I am considering buy 3 instead of 1.

Is having 4 of the same preamp a good idea?
Personally, I think the bigger issue is having too many NON matching pres. As Warren and Dr P stated, consoles are loaded with a whold bunch of the same pre. I use my console for 98% of the mic inputs. I have 4 channels of outboard pres, but only use 2, and those usually just for vocals and acoustic guitars.
Old 8th August 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks Guys I have decided on just getting just the one extra Lindell 6x500 for a stereo operation its just me recording I overdub anyway. The shop has a deal 750 AUD for Black Lion Auteur with free pair Fostex PM841 or $600 for the Black Lion Auteur on its own.

At the moment I am using AKG 702's and a set of Creative 2.1 Hi Fi Speakers. I was planning on saving for SE Munro Eggs.

Are the Fostex any good or should save the extra $150.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

I always try to at least have 4 channels of each model of preamp that I use.
Old 9th August 2014
As one person could argue all the same preamps can provide a "glue" effect, another could say it's too much of the same thing, keeping tracks from standing out. Do you use the same mic for every instrument in the mix? Personally, I use whatever mic AND preamp works best while listening in context. That said, I'm one of those that believe the mic and its position makes WAY more difference than the preamp. YMMV.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

I like the lindell but I wouldn't want nothing but. There isn't enough clean gain for my purposes without cranking the high and low boosts and I don't always want to use them.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
As one person could argue all the same preamps can provide a "glue" effect, another could say it's too much of the same thing, keeping tracks from standing out.
Exactly. The whole "buy lots of one preamp" because they "act like glue" thing is an interesting fad to watch on GearSlutz. No different than the "SSL bus compressor is glue" thing of 2004.

I wonder when everyone here will start saying "all the same preamps is so 2014. You have to buy Fad-X to glue your mixes."

Probably in 2015.

But jazz411 you made the right decision for you. Who could possibly argue with a GearSlut buying more gear s/he loves??? Go for it!

Johann
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtienhaara View Post
Exactly. The whole "buy lots of one preamp" because they "act like glue" thing is an interesting fad to watch on GearSlutz. No different than the "SSL bus compressor is glue" thing of 2004.

I wonder when everyone here will start saying "all the same preamps is so 2014. You have to buy Fad-X to glue your mixes."

Probably in 2015.

But jazz411 you made the right decision for you. Who could possibly argue with a GearSlut buying more gear s/he loves??? Go for it!

Johann
Audio fads aren't exclusive to Gearslutz. They've been around at least since the 1930s.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
Audio fads aren't exclusive to Gearslutz. They've been around at least since the 1930s.
I think it's high time wax cylinders made a comeback!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edison_Records
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtienhaara View Post
I think it's high time wax cylinders made a comeback!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edison_Records
Yes. I've got four of them.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear
Buy what takes your fancy. Only you will know whether you have made a big mistake after you have made the purchase. Hopefully you will not suffer from post-purchase dissonance. If you do then you can always sell them or learn to live with them.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
Yeah this whole "using the same preamp on everything fad" is soooo 2000s and, ok, maybe 1990s and, also the 1980s and I guess technically the 1970s and 1960s (of course) and 1950s and 1940s and... Geez you'd think after, what 7+ decades, we'd learn that having a totally different pre on everything is the best way to make all these legendary albums we're cranking out!
Old 12th August 2014
getting 4 channels of one preamp isn't a bad idea if you like the pre. Neither is having variety.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search