The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apollo tracking into PT HD & Mixing via HD Omni Audio Interfaces
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict
Apollo tracking into PT HD & Mixing via HD Omni

Let me say first that I am stoked to be finally running a PTHD rig (HD Omni, Thunderbolt, PTHD11 all for under $2500). I am excited and ready to take my workflow to another level.. and charge more since I got "HD"

Here is my situation.. I sold all my lower end interfaces and pres to purchase this setup. Since I have been doing less multi-tracking sessions lately, I figured I can take the loss of not having 8+ mic pres at one time and 2 mic pres for vocal tracking/overdubs for now. But my next step is to soon gain back my mic pres so I am able to track at least 8-14 mics at once. I need your help on figuring out a system that will work best for me and your thoughts on my process, if its capable of doing what I need or not. I know the price ranges are a little different but I will slowly try to purchase everything I need and want to purchase things for the long run and not have to keep upgrading.

I want to use my Omni as my main monitoring source and occasionally using the pres on them. I like the omni for the fact that if I ever get into post-production work, it is already setup for that. I like to stay ITB and use plugs since it is affordable for me. But here is my options I am looking at:

Option A: 10 PRES TOTAL
- Monitoring through Omni
- expand HDNative with a Digi192
- 8channel mic pre (audient asp008)

Option B: 14 PRES TOTAL
- Monitoring through Omni
- expand HDNative with a Digi192
- 4 channel high end mic pre (UA 4-710d)
- 8 channels of low end mic pre (f+Focusrite o+Octo OR Presonus FS OR Behringer ADA8000)

Option C: 14 PRES TOTAL
- HD Omni (2pres during track & monitoring during mix)
- Universal Audio Apollo Quad (4 pres & monitoring during track)
- 8 channels of low end mic pre (Focusrite Octo MKII OR Presonus FS OR Behringer ADA8000)

Option D: 18+ PRES TOTAL
- HD Omni
- Digi192
- Analog or hybrid mixer something in the lines of A&H ZEDR16 OR A&H GL2000

All and all, my most wanted setup would be option C as I really would love the ability to track using UA console. The thought of the unison feature and tracking with plugs to tape is something I think I will do often. The ability to use UA plugs during tracking and mixing and taking away processing from my computer seems like a perfect world to me, but I'm trying to rap my head around how I would go about this setup... any ideas?

Any type of input would be greatly appreciated or even suggesting something different that makes more sense. Thank you guys in advance!
Old 7th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay2x View Post
Let me say first that I am stoked to be finally running a PTHD rig

Option D: 18+ PRES TOTAL
- HD Omni
- Digi192
- Analog or hybrid mixer something in the lines of A&H ZEDR16 OR A&H GL2000

Any type of input would be greatly appreciated or even suggesting something different that makes more sense. Thank you guys in advance!
Congratulations on your HD Native rig, It´s a great system. Your wish of combining the Apollo interface with the HD system is not possible thou. You can't choose multiple interfaces for playback engine in Pro Tools and to be able to use your HDNative and Omni you´ll have to go with HDNative playback.

I Would recommend you to get the option D, possibly get a Lynx Aurora 16x16 instead of the Digi 192, Better price and sound. Then expand your Micpre park with CAPI 28, slowly build a Highend tracking system.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict
Thanks Olof for the input. Unfortunately I think an aurora is way out of my budget for just conversion. With that said... What is comparable to the 192 conversion wise?

I was thinking of using the Apollo only during tracking then switching back to the omni during mixing via playback engine. I'm sure that is possible but what I'm not sure of is if I'm able to use the processing power from the Apollo even though I won't be using the interface during mixing. Can I not do it that way?

Over 200 views and no one else has more suggestions???
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

You can definitely use the Apollo instead of the HD Native system when tracking. You would just switch to that interface, and you can use the Console app, etc.

You may be able to use the UAD plugins, even when mixing with HD native. But I'm not sure, and you may want to contact UA to see about this.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Maniac

If it comes down to strictly recording quality for tracking, the conversion on the Omni is another league from the Apollo. Also, I think you can use the Apollo while using HD Native as the playback engine. It would simply run as a DSP card in that setup.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search