The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High-end Preamp or Mic??? Condenser Microphones
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

it's gearslutz you need both.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterasacid View Post
Some of y'all just ain't nice, we all started somewhere.

I often think of getting a new interface, but very few have tubes, which I enjoy the sound of. If a preamp has built-in converters, could I potentially keep my mbox and keep the digital in?

A lot of things are difficult to decide. I can't be buying stuff @ retail and then reselling it if it doesn't fit. I don't think there's anywhere I could demo equipment, at least not the ones I'm interested in. I wait tables for a living so I don't have a credit card or a line of credit.

& yeah I do like the sound of Peluso mics, specifically the 2247 LE, might be the first mic I'm head-over-heels in love with.
I'm not a big fan of buying new. But from time to time I do. Just about anyone can get a sweetwater card or a Bill Me Later line of credit. One thing about Bill Me Later is they have 12 months same as cash on larger items $499 and above. If you buy say a Peluso 2247 from a seller with great feedback who has sold many high dollar audio items, you can be pretty certain that he will not send you broken piece of ****e. If he does, ebay will back you and get your money back. If you buy it at the right price and you don't like it, you can sell it to get your money back and possibly make a hundred or two. I've done it with dozens of pieces of gear, all the time using their money. As long as you pay it off within the 12 months it doesn't cost you a cent. It will also help you in building a credit history. Very handy if used correctly. Also if you use Ebay, sign up for ebay bucks. On a recent purchase I picked up a Taylor K65CE for a really low price. I also was given $100 in ebay bucks that I could spend later for other gear.
L.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Head

Buy some used gear. I would say, unless you are gonna cover drums, which require the preamp to have several mic inputs, on your budget, probably go for some universal audio preamps. The 610 is tube, and sound fantastic! If you cant choose between solid state, and tube pres, go for the Universal Audio 710, twin. You can mix Solid State with Tube technology, or you can go 100% on one of them. The 610 cost like 1400 dollars for new, and the 710 cost more like 1000, I think the 610 sounds better, but you can get blends of solid state and tube with 710, which is rather unique. You need a converter too tho. For a microphone, I dont know about you, but I love the Telefunken AR51, for its perfect balance, it has a lot of high frequencies, but I love it for that, because it is not harsh at all, but in terms of mics, go by your heart, choose what suites you and the artists you work with, best!

Good luck!
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which one would do me more justice?
1. Ignore every single answer you've received so far.
2. Post clips of your writing/recording/voice made with what you have.
3. Based on what you post made with what you have, ask the question again.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear
Get a pre amp, then listen to the mic you have, then decide if you need a new mic.
Old 8th August 2014
Just keep in mind that you can't truly bypass the mbox's built-in pres. With that in mind, the mic would make a bit more sense in my humble opinion, but for that kind of money... I too would go for a new interface. One that allows you to bypass any built in pres. I know the Apollo has four of it's eight inputs bypassing the internal pres.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by core64 View Post
Just keep in mind that you can't truly bypass the mbox's built-in pres. With that in mind, the mic would make a bit more sense in my humble opinion, but for that kind of money... I too would go for a new interface. One that allows you to bypass any built in pres. I know the Apollo has four of it's eight inputs bypassing the internal pres.
you have a great mic. It's fine. You need pres and converters
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Guru

From my perspective, recording in less than ideal conditions, the glaring weak
link in his signal chain is the M-Box way before he invests in a professional
preamp.

The OP should take a look at the Lynx Hi-Lo and also look at the newest offerings from Motu, Universal Audio, Metric Halo, just for some perspective.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Definitely improve your mic and pre, for 2-3k you can do just that. You can go spdif into an mbox, bypassing the mbox.
Old 8th August 2014
jrp
Lives for gear

from an diy perspective:

Mic - hard to get right
Pre - quite easy and cheaper

i´d say mic has much more impact as long as your pre is at leat ok. It´s more like an instrumen, actually moving with the sound...

most better pres so8und nearly the same if not overdriven.
mics sound so different...
Old 8th August 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do like the sound of Peluso mics, specifically the 2247 LE, might be the first mic I'm head-over-heels in love with.

And why at the end of the day, all the replies you receive ain't gonna be worth squat I have posts here citing the 2247LE as maybe the worst LDC I've ever tried, period, and how having "47" in the name of that PoJ is misleading. I've never heard a "bright" 47 / or 47 clone before...Now this said, I've heard that the SE is supposed to be better.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Maniac
Some of the equipment that's highly praised on these forums sounds kinda whack to me

I never considered I'd need different converters, I never even considered converters a factor, big mistake.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear
I would buy good converters first. I would also focus on making improvements to your room where you are recording. Those two things will make a big difference to your recordings. You don't need a U47 or 1073 pre to make great recordings. There are other choices.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear
My 2247LE (with US tube) is not bright. I think it sounds good but I only have these other LDC's to compare it too. SP C1, GT GT55, EV RE1000. I know the standard Peluso 47 was meant to be a dog, but many people speak highly of the 2247LE. After buying mine, I did always wish I'd gotten a Pearlman instead, but I still think the 2247LE is very good.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear
Look for a DMP3 or Tampa or Rane MS1b (MS1s), as these should be very cheap, yet a big step up still to your current MBox pre. You will then have spent practically none if your budget. So will have enough left for better converters/interface and maybe a new mic as well.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Guru

A better interface will also have more professional connectivity to handle +4
signal coming from professional out board preamps, compressors etc.

Not being able to bypass the internal preamps in the M-Box is quite limiting.

If you do have background noise issues, it may be better to choose a highly
directional mic with better off axis rejection.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Guru

Also if your current computer system only has USB and no FireWire or Thunderbolt connectivity, that can also become a data bandwidth bottleneck.

When you start looking at upgrades to a base system, you really do open a can of worms. You are better off thinking forward to what will be mainstream over the next 4-5 years and that's Thunderbolt. Interfaces, Backup Drives, the data demands of current A/V applications will only increase.

USB is slow and FireWire is being phased out, so keep that in mind.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear
Just connect an AD converter and DAC via SPDIF to your MBox if you don't get a new complete interface. Lots of very good chinese DAC's to keep costs down. I use a Xindac DAC 5 and it's very good.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

With $3k, I'd be getting a good preamp (UA 610), a new interface (SPL Crimson) and a new mic if needed. But I think your mic is fine.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post

USB is slow and FireWire is being phased out, so keep that in mind.
That is true for the older USB1. USB2 or even USB3 is perfectly fine for most home studio interfaces and channel load. I've heard of studios working 48 channels on USB2 with little or no latency. Now from a tech standpoint, USB3 is the best! Thunderbolt is good, but don't dislike USB2 or the new USB3. I am not sure what is happening to firewire... but I do know that I've seen some products coming out with the upgraded firewire 800 rather than the older firewire 400. Mostly in the video product industry.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Guru

Even though Apple took the initiative to launch Thunderbolt, it was designed
by Intel and other co-development partners so you will see more and more PC's
converting to Thunderbolt.

Just thinking forward.

The newest Motu Thunderbolt interfaces have both Thunderbolt and USB outs.

Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

TB still pales in comparison to PCI express 3.0, which I believe has a theoretical throughput of 128 Gb/s,

Nevertheless, I think the future will be 100 Gb ethernet, TB will pass along just like FW did eventually...
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Guru

Think about it, how many people are still buying large towers with PCI-e connectivity?

Not when a MacMini or a MacBookPro is more than enough for audio.

On average, even though all my computers still work, the average useful life
of most computers has been about 5 years before software support is dropped
and data demands increase to dramatic proportions due to HD content.

Just wait till we're looking at 3D displays and eventually holographic displays.

Back to the OP.

He needs an interface with professional connectivity, preferably one that
will still be fine with the next computer he buys.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Maniac
I have a 2007 MacBook but as soon as I can afford one I'm probably going to get a new MacBook or an iMac

The digital S/PDIF on the MBox is RCA, & that makes me uncomfortable.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear
Coaxial SPDIF is fine. Better than TOSLINK in general.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Even though Apple took the initiative to launch Thunderbolt, it was designed
by Intel and other co-development partners so you will see more and more PC's
converting to Thunderbolt.

Just thinking forward.

The newest Motu Thunderbolt interfaces have both Thunderbolt and USB outs.

What in the world do you need 10 gbs for? I edit hd video on raids that get 400 mbs and that still gives me tons of headroom. 4K might take twice that. And audio isn't nearly as demanding. So my guess is they want to sell new computers. With the new TB comes different ram, pricey ssd's. Maybe it's a lot cheaper to use what you need and get by on Mac Pro's at a fraction of the cost.
L.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

I will add to the vote that with a $2k-$3k budget you can get both a nice LDC and a solid Pre amp.

I like the Great River pre, at around $1k, and with $1500- $2000 you can get a pretty nice LDC mic. The Peluso gets lots of love, but there are many, many choices.....

Having a great sounding room is certainly a great thing to have, but you can tame a less than great one with some DIY efforts.

You can make great recordings if you dont mind hanging some moving blankets or heavy duvets when tracking vocals or acoustic instruments to eliminate the "sound" of the room.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Guru

I'm not going to tell someone starting out who is still running through an M-Box
to go out and spend big money on mics and preamps when his interface really
isn't up to the task.

Even if he stays with USB 2, he needs better +4 interface input connectivity & converters to handle pro outboard gear like +4 preamps and compressors.

I don't want to put the cart before the horse.

If his room has background noise issues, buying a great mic or pumping the volume and sensitivity of the signal with a good preamp, will only make matters worse.

I think he could get a much better interface, a nice 2 channel mic pre like the DAV BG-1 and still have enough left over for a few good all purpose mics.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear
Yes, start with a clean pre like a DAV BG1 and a better interface. You would then have enough left for either another mic or a second pre like the GAP73 deluxe or even a compressor?
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Maniac
My room isn't treated but there's pretty much no room noise or echo which is why I wasn't considering that a factor. Everyone seems to have mixed opinions of blankets and DIY booths & all that so I'm going to take care of that later.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search