The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What hardware compressor on synths Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear
What hardware compressor on synths

Just curious what hardware compressors if any you guys are using on synths these days. I'm thinking of picking up 1 or 2 character type compressors for this duty. Many thnks
Old 7th August 2014
It depends on what you want to do. An opto or Vari Mu type can sound good for character (depending on the circuit itself, some are more colored than others). Manley and IGS make great units. You may also want to think about a very linear compressor into something that gives character, i.e. like a Foote P3S which will do anything (but is clean) into a Culture Vulture or FATSO (regular version is fine).
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

you know, I don't often find myself compressing synthesizers. I'm not sure why. Drum machines on the other hand, yes, all the time.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

WA76.
Put it on top of your list.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

If anyone has an Apollo, it is great fun to add plug ins to the console app while a synth is on the channel strip. I can only speak to a Fantom G6, which has line out L/R. But one can get a good idea how different effects would sound with this method.
Old 7th August 2014
I have a linked pair of Radial Komit compressors that are by far my favorite for running synths through (especially digital synths, as the Komits have an inherent roll off in the highs and thickening of the lows that invariably tames any digital harshness.). The clipper circuit works well on certain sounds too!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search