The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Power cable & 1/4" got drenched in the rain. What to do? Saturation Plugins
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Addict

Power cable & 1/4" got soaked in the rain. What to do?

Hey all. Had an outdoor gig interrupted by a sudden and monstrous rainstorm, and in my rush to get the keyboard covered, I had to leave the cables exposed for a bit, at which point they were promptly soaked.

They're dry to the touch at this point, but I worry some water may have gotten under the sheathing -- one of the cables is a two pin AC cord and the female end was essentially submerged in water for a moment.

Is there anything I should do or test etc before plugging them back in and powering on? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Thanks.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict

Bump. Finding somewhat conflicting opinions online. Thanks again.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict

My feeling is that you needn't worry about water getting into the cable itself, or into molded connectors, but I would open up regular XLR or 1/4" plugs to dry out the insides. OTOH, I've seen plenty of XLRs that look like they sat in dirty water a lot, and basically they just have a slightly corroded look inside. They functioned fine. Corrosion on the mating pins/sockets is another matter. I'd dry those, and spray with Deoxit.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search