The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Chairs Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th August 2014
  #1
Gear Addict
 

Studio Chairs

I need a studio chair that doesn't end up squeaking like a bat / whale / porpoise "insert your favourite mammal"

Seriously 18 months on a chair everyday and i can't move a muscle without a loud screech, I've got used to it but i think subconsciously its driving me mad.
Old 6th August 2014
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Sebastian N's Avatar
 

try some wd40
Old 6th August 2014
  #3
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
try some wd40
Did that - works for about 10 minutes
Old 6th August 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Sebastian N's Avatar
 

do you already have some sort of pro chair? take it apart and put teflon grease when you put it back together. the white stuff. you can find it at bike shops or just regular hardware stores. usually they are not too difficult to work on and probably need one size allen wrench to do everything. might be worth a shot before spending some big bucks on it. even refurbished ones that come from a nice company can be quite expensive. we bought a couple of refurbs last year for the office and ended up paying 1500/piece. ultra nice ones but they cost as much as a distressor
Old 6th August 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 
jimbridgman's Avatar
This chair is great and it squeaks every once in a blue moon, but some good grease on the moving parts works for years after that squeak, then no more squeaks.

MARKUS Swivel chair - IKEA

Jim
Old 7th August 2014
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman View Post
This chair is great and it squeaks every once in a blue moon, but some good grease on the moving parts works for years after that squeak, then no more squeaks.

MARKUS Swivel chair - IKEA

Jim
This. I've got the same chair. It looks and feels a lot more expensive than it is.
Old 7th August 2014
  #7
Gear Addict
 
jayson_p's Avatar
 

Costco has these bayside chairs for about $100 that absolutely rock. They used to be called "Metro" but these days I think they changed it to Metrex or something like that.
Every bit as comfortable as my Herman Miller chair but about $500 less expensive. Never had any issue with 'em squeaking and the fact that the arms can fold up and out of the way makes 'em great for guitar or keyboard playing. At the price point it makes getting a bunch for the production environment a no-brainer.

Bayside Furnishings Metro Mesh Office Chair
Old 7th August 2014
  #8
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_p View Post
Costco has these bayside chairs for about $100 that absolutely rock. They used to be called "Metro" but these days I think they changed it to Metrex or something like that.
Every bit as comfortable as my Herman Miller chair but about $500 less expensive. Never had any issue with 'em squeaking and the fact that the arms can fold up and out of the way makes 'em great for guitar or keyboard playing. At the price point it makes getting a bunch for the production environment a no-brainer.

Bayside Furnishings Metro Mesh Office Chair
Looks like a nice chair. Unfortunately I can't find it on Costco's site?
Anyone able to find this chair?
Old 7th August 2014
  #9
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Looks like a nice chair. Unfortunately I can't find it on Costco's site?
Anyone able to find this chair?
It's on Amazon, with an average review of 3/5 stars.

War
Old 7th August 2014
  #10
WKG
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_p View Post
Costco has these bayside chairs for about $100 that absolutely rock. They used to be called "Metro" but these days I think they changed it to Metrex or something like that.
Every bit as comfortable as my Herman Miller chair but about $500 less expensive. Never had any issue with 'em squeaking and the fact that the arms can fold up and out of the way makes 'em great for guitar or keyboard playing. At the price point it makes getting a bunch for the production environment a no-brainer.

Bayside Furnishings Metro Mesh Office Chair
I've got that one. Pretty nice and the folding arms are very convenient, I play guitar and it's nice for acoustic stuff when sitting at the desk. it does squeak a tiny bit but no big deal.
Old 10th August 2014
  #11
Lives for gear
 
StillCrazy's Avatar
 

solution

WD40 will wear off real quick. I was real tired of reapplying all the time.

One day I was using PAM on our BBQ grill to cook some chops, steaks, shrimp etc. and noticed how it was still there after all the cooking was done several hours later.

I sprayed my chair with the PAM and 2 years later no squeaks and no squeals and no need to buy a new chair. I also have used on ever squeak in the house and it has solved them all permanently.
Old 10th August 2014
  #12
SRS
Lives for gear
 
SRS's Avatar
 

2 words... Herman Miller. Chair debacle done.
Old 10th August 2014
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Marcocet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
2 words... Herman Miller. Chair debacle done.
I seriously hate the aeron chair. I find them to be both uncomfortable and noisy, and I've rarely seen one that wasn't broken in some way. But plenty of people seem to like them, so I figure if you're going to spend that much money on any piece of studio equipment you should make an effort to demo it yourself.

Personally I really like the Humanscale Liberty. It's another stupid expensive one, but once we had one of them we had to get a second because it's too damn comfortable. I've heard people complain about issues with the Humanscale Freedom, but we've had our pair of Libertys for three or four years now and they're holding up great.
Old 10th August 2014
  #14
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy View Post
WD40 will wear off real quick. I was real tired of reapplying all the time.

One day I was using PAM on our BBQ grill to cook some chops, steaks, shrimp etc. and noticed how it was still there after all the cooking was done several hours later.

I sprayed my chair with the PAM and 2 years later no squeaks and no squeals and no need to buy a new chair. I also have used on ever squeak in the house and it has solved them all permanently.
I agree with this.

WD-40 is properly considered a degreaser, not really a 'lubricant' per se. It will dissolve any existing grease - so good for cleaning off a nasty bicycle chain - but when it dries out your joint is squeakier than ever. You have to put some proper grease in there.

People misuse WD-40 simply because it is in a convenient spray and has this mystique of being a miracle 'all purpose' panacea. There are true lubricants available as sprays and you could always drip the oil in there like we used to do back in the cave man days.

I am partial to trumpet valve oil. I use it on my drum hardware and anything that squeaks. Its very clean but does not dry out or get gummy.
Old 11th August 2014
  #15
Lives for gear
 
dfchandler's Avatar
 

Lithium spray grease. It is a penetrating oil and long lasting grease.

Denny
Old 11th August 2014
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
2 words... Herman Miller. Chair debacle done.
Agreed. Expensive, but worth it.
Old 11th August 2014
  #17
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy View Post
One day I was using PAM on our BBQ grill to cook some chops, steaks, shrimp etc. and noticed how it was still there after all the cooking was done several hours later.
Eww. I use Pam too. My colon must be slicker than a Slip 'n' Slide.
Old 11th August 2014
  #18
Everyone is built differently so you really should try before you buy! I was a programmer for many (25) years and needless to say I sat a LOT, and I wasn't all that comfortable a lot of the time. When I got my Aeron I was skeptical. However I have had it for close to 10 years and I love it. I can sit at my desk mixing for hours with no discomfort or back pain. It has never squeaked or made noise either. Sure it's expensive, but so is your gear. It's worth it to be comfortable.
Old 11th August 2014
  #19
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

I too hate the Aeron chair which I have sat in for 10 years now. Very uncomfortable and I am always messing with the adjustments. I usually take off the adjustable lumbar support thing as it actually starts hurting my back no matter where I put it. The mesh is comfy but it sags under weight and the frame will often put pressure on the back of my legs and cut off circulation.
Old 11th August 2014
  #20
If possible ALWAYS try before U buy!
Old 11th August 2014
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
2 words... Herman Miller. Chair debacle done.
Yes yes YES!!!
Old 11th August 2014
  #22
Gear Addict
 
Inceptic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I too hate the Aeron chair which I have sat in for 10 years now. Very uncomfortable and I am always messing with the adjustments. I usually take off the adjustable lumbar support thing as it actually starts hurting my back no matter where I put it. The mesh is comfy but it sags under weight and the frame will often put pressure on the back of my legs and cut off circulation.
Yeah, I hate it too. It cuts off the circulation in my legs. Very nasty feeling. Sitting on it for a little while will not reveal this. I noticed it after about a week of daily use.

Currently, I'm using a Hag Capisco. It is not an instant gratification kind of chair like the Aeron, so if you try each for a couple of minutes, you will prefer the Aeron. But after a few hours of sitting, the Capisco wins hands-down.
Old 11th August 2014
  #23
Gear Nut
 
Fred Story's Avatar
 

I did quite a bit of research on it, and ended up with a Steelcase Leap chair. It's been terrific.
Old 11th August 2014
  #24
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Story View Post
I did quite a bit of research on it, and ended up with a Steelcase Leap chair. It's been terrific.

Yeah I have been thinking about getting one of those with the headrest. They look great. There's a place in town that carries Steelcase and have been meaning to go try them out.
Old 12th August 2014
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Marcocet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem Beats View Post
Have you considered an adjustable desk that gives you the option to stand rather than sit?

In addition to the health benefits, standing creates varied production circumstances, which favors increased creativity (sitting and standing are separate environmental cues, each triggering their own set of habits and trains of thought).

-Ki
Salem Beats
Old 12th August 2014
  #26
Aeron-sitter here as well.
Circulation is not an issue and they look cool.
No matter what chair you're using it doesn't hurt to get up and stretch/move around a little now and then.
I have to admit though, my main reason for getting out of the chair is to go and get another coffee.
Old 12th August 2014
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Travst's Avatar
I went to a used furniture store and sat in a bunch of chairs before choosing one. Hitting the used market may be a good option for some. I've been very happy with my $40 leather executive chair of unknown manufacture.
Old 12th August 2014
  #28
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Used office furniture in great shape is often available for extremely low prices.
Old 12th August 2014
  #29
If you are prone to back or neck problems:

Chair Features


I love this chair.
Old 12th August 2014
  #30
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Used office furniture in great shape is often available for extremely low prices.

if you find a company moving, remodeling or going out of business, not only are there chairs up for grabs, but some of the office "cubicle" dividers make really nice gobos.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump