The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Critters & Ported Near Fields Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

Stink Bugs - Ported Near Fields & Other Studio Gear

I'm beginning to suspect I may have the remains of some unwanted visitors inside my near fields, specifically stink bugs.

I haven't tried to open mine up yet, but I know they love to find hiding places,
especially when temperatures start dropping outside.

I've checked and treated the cables and connectors on both ends with De-oxit, but I'm still getting intermittent crackling from
one of them.

Just wonder if anyone else has had a similar issues with their ported near fields.

I have found these stubborn little bastages inside my amps and all kinds of stuff,
just maddening how persistent these little pets really are.
Old 6th August 2014
I'm afraid to ask... do they, um, you know... stink?

I had a cheapo speaker enclosure made from particle board back in the 60s and it stank for years -- but I'm pretty sure it was the glue they used, not any sort of infestation. Not sure why, but in the old days there was a lot of very stinky glue in use. (I'm guessing it's because of what a lot of cheap glue was made of back then. I don't like to think about it, particularly now that I'm a vegetarian. )
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I'm afraid to ask... do they, um, you know... stink?

I had a cheapo speaker enclosure made from particle board back in the 60s and it stank for years -- but I'm pretty sure it was the glue they used, not any sort of infestation. Not sure why, but in the old days there was a lot of very stinky glue in use. (I'm guessing it's because of what a lot of cheap glue was made of back then. I don't like to think about it, particularly now that I'm a vegetarian. )
Only if you squish them, dead or alive.

They aren't real happy about being flushed down the sink or vacuumed either.

There's no odor, I'm hearing an intermittent crackling.

Turned off my interface, but it was still happening on and off with the monitors on.
Acting like a loose or dirty connection.

Or... Stink Bugs Roasting On An Open Fire!
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
They aren't real happy about being flushed down the sink or vacuumed either.
Who is?

We used to have what we called 'stink bugs' in my old neighborhood in the 1950s. Not sure they really were. It's all mega-suburbia now (OC, CA, USA) but back then it had been orange groves bordering dairies until 1950 and there were a lot of various bugs that would come over from the then-still adjacent dairy land or hang out in the orange trees that (for a short while) dotted everyone's back yards. (The developers used the very productive trees as a sales inducement, golden liquid vitamin C in your very own backyard, four to the typical backyard -- and I loved it -- but most folks cut them down and by 1960 there were only a couple of orange trees in the neighborhood. Fortunately, in a sense, by then the dairy had been paved and housed over, so the sweet smell of the few remaining orange blossoms was finally unmasked. )
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

These critters are super sneaky and love to hide in anything and will force their
way in anyway possible under the siding through electrical outlets, any possible
entry point.

They came in on shipments from China and the Customs Officials didn't catch
them.

Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

I'm only talking about my Yamaha MSP7's, but this is a problem, a serious
problem in some locations that could affect much more expensive monitors, amps, rack gear, consoles, etc.

I cleaned my amp room thoroughly and checked the inside of all my amps
and a few months later, hundreds of them were all over the place.

Windows shut tight, no obvious entry point but now I'm thinking they're hiding out in the HVAC ducting.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

This sounds horrible man. I hope you get things under control. Update the post if you find out how they're getting in.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

They started out with initial infestation in PA and they are working their way outward. Since they prefer warmth, they are surely going to spread South and West where temps are favorable. Metro D.C MD & VA, W VA are fully infested.

They fly and literally wait for you to open the door. They force themselves under siding, sills, I mean any possible entry point.

They hide in linens, clothing, any means possible because they are looking for
suitable shelter, especially as weather starts getting colder.

I had a guest stay over a while back and went to turn down the guest bed and they were under the covers!
These are not bed bugs, they are anywhere bugs!

If these critters get in your console or rack gear, and lay their eggs, kind of a light brown goo, it could short out connections and just wreak havoc.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

That's F'd up boo.

You live in NYC?
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
These critters are super sneaky and love to hide in anything and will force their
way in anyway possible under the siding through electrical outlets, any possible
entry point.

They came in on shipments from China and the Customs Officials didn't catch
them.

Ah, yeah, as I suspected, a totally different creature than the 'stink bugs' of my youth. Which I recall as being ugly but not stinking. (I think they may have been dung beetles, actually.) Of course, with a dairy less than a hundred yards away, they would have had to stink pretty bad to even smell them.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

Nah Northern VA.

Washington D.C. was nick named Ground Zero long before 9/11.

In fact there was a Ground Zero Band back in the 70's

Right now you don't see them much, but as soon as fall temps start hitting, expect them at every entry point.

My neighbor's house is about 100 feet higher elevation than my place and she's come home to find them in droves all around
her front door. As soon as they feel a warmer temp to go to, they fly in.
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
They started out with initial infestation in PA and they are working their way outward. Since they prefer warmth, they are surely going to spread South and West where temps are favorable. Metro D.C MD & VA, W VA are fully infested.

They fly and literally wait for you to open the door. They force themselves under siding, sills, I mean any possible entry point.

They hide in linens, clothing, any means possible because they are looking for
suitable shelter, especially as weather starts getting colder.

I had a guest stay over a while back and went to turn down the guest bed and they were under the covers!
These are not bed bugs, they are anywhere bugs!

If these critters get in your console or rack gear, and lay their eggs, kind of a light brown goo, it could short out connections and just wreak havoc.
The bed bugs thing kinda freaks me out. Big, bad diseases will just kill you, your troubles here are over. But pests just make life miserable. I had a flat that, no matter what I did, was overrun by cock roaches (until the landlord fumo'd the whole building). I could battle them back, keep them at bay with boric acid, but, you know, you flip on the kitchen light in the middle of the night and... ugh. (Also, I once took a day job helping a buddy clean one of his grandfather's rental apartments that had been rented to the wrong people. And a half. When you walked, dead cockroaches, the big, black 'water beetle' (they're cockroaches, don't worry) kind, crunched under foot. We were literally shoveling them out in some places. Dead. But still. First time I ever wore breathing filters to 'clean house' -- I still have dreams 45 years later. heh )

Not looking forward to more migrating pests and diseases. But as the climate changes and the biosphere responds with different species trying to find a climate to fit their evolutionary profile, I guess we're just gonna see more. Interesting times. =/
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
The bed bugs thing kinda freaks me out. Big, bad diseases will just kill you, your troubles here are over. But pests just make life miserable. I had a flat that, no matter what I did, was overrun by cock roaches (until the landlord fumo'd the whole building). I could battle them back, keep them at bay with boric acid, but, you know, you flip on the kitchen light in the middle of the night and... ugh. (Also, I once took a day job helping a buddy clean one of his grandfather's rental apartments that had been rented to the wrong people. And a half. When you walked, dead cockroaches, the big, black 'water beetle' (they're cockroaches, don't worry) kind, crunched under foot. We were literally shoveling them out in some places. Dead. But still. First time I ever wore breathing filters to 'clean house' -- I still have dreams 45 years later. heh )

Not looking forward to more migrating pests and diseases. But as the climate changes and the biosphere responds with different species trying to find a climate to fit their evolutionary profile, I guess we're just gonna see more. Interesting times. =/
Oh yeah, water beetles aren't they just adorable!

I live in the forest and expect critters, but this is a whole new kinda bad bug.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

Just looked for more info on this infestation.

"The brown marmorated stink bug (BMSB), an insect not previously seen on our continent, was apparently accidentally introduced into eastern Pennsylvania. It was first collected in September of 1998 in Allentown, but probably arrived several years earlier."

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug — Entomology — Penn State University

"It is also recorded from many other states such as:

California, Connecticut, Delaware, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, D.C. and West Virginia

Sightings have also been reported in the following states however this is not to imply that there are reproducing populations in those states:

Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin"
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Yup I do see them in my house every now and then here in MA. But they don't stink unless you squish them from what I remember. I have an electric badminton racquet that dispatches bugs with great satisfaction.

It's ladybugs that seem to try and infest where I live. Luckily I never see insects in my gear. That would really 'bug' me!
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

I'm pretty sure at least two of them crawled in the vents to my Dell 24" display.

Two small dark shadows right at the bottom of the screen and no way to retrieve them safely.

It could be dead pixels there too, but the spots are the right size.
Old 6th August 2014
Deleted User
Down here in Florida we have "palmetto bugs" which look to be the same basic critter.
I had a brown-tolex Fender Concert Vibrato amp with (3) 10's in it. One of the 10's took a dive, when I pulled it out, there was a "colony" of the little bastards between the grille and the cone...they had eaten through the cone, around the surround. Good-bye Jensen, hello CTS! and the noise that they make when you step on one....ugggggggggggh!
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Wow! We've had bad years of Asian lady bugs (which stink), but haven't seen any of these buggers yet.

When I went to replace my old M-Audio monitors, one of them rattled. I opened it up and it was full of dog food.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

My 3 little darlings thought it was so much fun to put Doritos, Barbie shoes, hair clips, crayons and more inside that trap door to the VCRs.

Went through 3 of them.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
My 3 little darlings thought it was so much fun to put Doritos, Barbie shoes, hair clips, crayons and more inside that trap door to the VCRs.

Went through 3 of them.
Different species of varmint, but still keep you guessing.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
Different species of varmint, but still keep you guessing.
:-)
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict

We have stinkbugs up here in Edmonton, Canada. Fortunately not in great numbers - one advantage of a cold climate: less bugs and smaller bugs. I hope you find a solution.
Right now I'm dealing with mice in my GK bass combo... I'm afraid to take it apart. So far no affects on the function, but they've made a terrible mess.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

Henry Robinett finding the remains of a rat in the reverb pan of his vintage DR was a GS classic.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Ugh, this kinda stuff skeeves me out. Luckily in Florida it's quite commonplace to maintain a monthly pest control person. My guy charges $28/mo...and it helps...tremendously, especially with ants and palmetto bugs.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

This is what the Penn State study said about treatment.

It is not advisable to use an insecticide inside after the insects have gained access to the wall voids or attic areas. Although insecticidal dust treatments to these voids may kill hundreds of bugs, there is the possibility that carpet beetles will feed on the dead stink bugs and subsequently attack woolens, stored dry goods or other natural products in the home. Although aerosol-type pyrethrum foggers will kill stink bugs that have amassed on ceilings and walls in living areas, it will not prevent more of the insects from emerging shortly after the room is aerated. For this reason use of these materials is not considered a good solution to long-term management of the problem. Spray insecticides, directed into cracks and crevices, will not prevent the bugs from emerging and is not a viable or recommended treatment.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Ugh. This is the worst thread ever. Up here in the Pacific Northwest we get more rain than most, but no weird bugs at all. I call that an even trade. These stories are crazy. I feel for ya man. I can't imagine my place or gear being overrun by insects.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict

I think I should just say, in case anyone is wondering, that the mice are not in my home, but a rented garage we use as a jam space.
To the OP, I think the trick is to keep them from getting in the house with some sort of external repellent. As far as getting the stinkers out of your gear, you may have to take each piece outdoors and dismantle it. This is the approach I plan on with the mouse poop, but I really fear the task ahead.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

Obviously if you buy used gear, inspect it thoroughly outside or in the garage before importing other critters like bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, mites into your home or studio.
Old 7th August 2014
I used to call them palmetto bugs (or water bugs), too. It sounds better than cockroach. But...

Difference Between a Cockroach and a Palmetto Bug

[Do I need a spoiler here because of their coy title? Hint: a rose is a rose is a rose.]

I was on the junior high paper and one time when the paper's Polaroid flash attachment wouldn't flash, they handed it off to me (resident geek); I opened it up and found every single cubic millimeter absolutely jammed with dead, medium-sized red ants, looking like they were packed in by Tokyo subway attendants. It looked like the battery had leaked all over them, too. I decided the problem was over my pay grade.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

Thinking "It Can't Happen Here" may be premature.

I've been up here 22 years and this only started getting bad here about 3-4 years ago.

The unusually cold winter has surely knocked them down a bit, but they aren't
gone by any stretch of the imagination
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search