The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Critters & Ported Near Fields Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Thinking "It Can't Happen Here" may be premature.

I've been up here 22 years and this only started getting bad here about 3-4 years ago.

The unusually cold winter has surely knocked them down a bit, but they aren't
gone by any stretch of the imagination
When I was a kid growing up in Cali in the 50's, bed bugs seemed to be the thing of fable and stories told by old folks from 'back east.'

My folks would tuck me in, telling me, "Don't let the bed bugs bite." It was just something folks said.

Then.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

They are still alive and well & thriving in large metropolitan areas, hotels, shipping facilities, rental and resale housing and yes in gear sold from those regions.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

To mildly paraphrase Elvis Costello

I Used To Be Disgusted

Now It's Fooking WAR!
Old 8th August 2014
Stink bugs? Consider yourself lucky. About 30 feet or so from the outside corner of where my studio is located, and down a little hill, a bunch of rats have made a den in the ground. I've been through 2 exterminators already and they just keep coming back to the same spot and dig new holes in the ground.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Stink bugs? Consider yourself lucky. About 30 feet or so from the outside corner of where my studio is located, and down a little hill, a bunch of rats have made a den in the ground. I've been through 2 exterminators already and they just keep coming back to the same spot and dig new holes in the ground.
The stink bugs are small enough and persistent enough to not only force their way in, but also to find any possible nook or cranny to hide in.

That includes electronics and could be especially damaging to sensitive electronics when they die and let loose their goo.

My amp room was clean, fresh paint, new hardwood floors over roofing grade tar paper & the sub floor.

My amps were being kept in that room to keep other critters, like the cats away from my gear.

I go in there to grab something and they were in everything.
Combo enclosures, all over the floor, up on the window sills.

Even though I have tight sealed 1" thick insulated windows,
they somehow forced their way in.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, we're infested with them in WV., too. but at least I'm not allergic to them. After I moved here several years ago, I started developing symptoms of what turned out to be an allergy to cockroaches--Mainly because the upstairs neighbors were terrible housekeepers. After all the cockroach debris had biodegraded and all the carpets removed from upstairs, I'm back to normal, lol.

I find the stinkbugs any where it gets warm, inside the car, in light fixtures, under the fridge. Still not as bad as stepping on a blacksnake on the sidewalk in the dark.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish Riff View Post
Yes, we're infested with them in WV., too. but at least I'm not allergic to them. After I moved here several years ago, I started developing symptoms of what turned out to be an allergy to cockroaches--Mainly because the upstairs neighbors were terrible housekeepers. After all the cockroach debris had biodegraded and all the carpets removed from upstairs, I'm back to normal, lol.

I find the stinkbugs any where it gets warm, inside the car, in light fixtures, under the fridge. Still not as bad as stepping on a blacksnake on the sidewalk in the dark.
Some people mistake water beetles for cockroaches.
Neither are welcome.

Be glad it was just a harmless black snake.

I can't tell you the terror I went through when my youngest was 5 and yells
Daddy! I found a snake! I was in the front yard, she's down hill a good 100 feet
in the back yard at the swing set.

Uh, honey what color is it? "Sort of Red" and "Brown".

It was a young copperhead. I cut the head off with a shovel.

My neighbors over on the South face of the mountain have seen timber rattlers.

When I was first moving some of my gear into the basement, I had a box of heavy black extension cords. Came back a few days later, needed an extension cord, so I reach in the box and it wiggles....... Need I say more.
Old 8th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
The stink bugs are small enough and persistent enough to not only force their way in, but also to find any possible nook or cranny to hide in.

That includes electronics and could be especially damaging to sensitive electronics when they die and let loose their goo.

My amp room was clean, fresh paint, new hardwood floors over roofing grade tar paper & the sub floor.

My amps were being kept in that room to keep other critters, like the cats away from my gear.

I go in there to grab something and they were in everything.
Combo enclosures, all over the floor, up on the window sills.

Even though I have tight sealed 1" thick insulated windows,
they somehow forced their way in.
Yeah, your situation is probably worse than mine. At least the rats are outside at this point.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

I know a bit about snakes, having grown up on a farm with a bunch of woods around it. Didn't expect to see one out in the dark, let alone trying to get into my apartment--he was right in front of the door, and didn't like being stepped on. Good thing it was a small one.
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish Riff View Post
I know a bit about snakes, having grown up on a farm with a bunch of woods around it. Didn't expect to see one out in the dark, let alone trying to get into my apartment--he was right in front of the door, and didn't like being stepped on. Good thing it was a small one.
I only worry about the ones that can hurt me, my kids or my pets.

My Shep Lab got bit in the leg by a copperhead and her leg swelled to more than double normal size
and she was down in minutes. 70 mph to the vet and she was fine after the antidote.

If she had been bitten in the face or close to the throat it could have killed her.

My youngest who found that copperhead at age 5 now has a Yellow Boa.

I love animals, but no way I'd have such a large snake in my home.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search