The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EV RE16 restoration rusty grill and disintegrated foam? Dynamic Microphones
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

EV RE16 restoration rusty grill and disintegrated foam?

I have found an old Electro Voice RE 16.
The foam disintegrated.

Anyone knows how to clean the rusted mic grill? Is there a liquid that will disintegrate oxidated metal?

For foam replacement I have found this:

Telex F 01U 153 420 EV Mic Upper Pop Filter Foam, F.01U.153.420 | Full Compass

They also sell the botom foam, but it seems I can not get to the bottom of the microphone?! Am I missing something?

Anyone knows this mic?
Old 6th August 2014
Deleted User
I know it very well...used several for many years. Are you referring to the foam that is in the "barrel" of the mic, where the "Variable-D slots" are ? Yikes!
The guts of that mic are designed in such a way that getting to that foam may be a real pain. I would definitely contact the manufacturer; E-V was extremely good about customer support back in the 70s-80s when I had those mics, but they have gone through a few ownership changes, I don't know how well Telex/Bosch has carried that tradition along.
2 things to keep in mind when using that mic...
a)NEVER use it as a "handheld", as wrapping one's hand(s) around the barrel (specifically around those slots) will wreck the frequency response and can cause horrific squealing feedback.
b) This is a very good mic for many sources - brass/winds, percussion, maybe even guitar amps. Loud stuff, really, as the mic's output is not really "hot". Flat response compared to many "modern" mic designs - what it hears is what you get, so to speak. I really miss my RE-16's and RE-11's these days.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

I can open up the top grill and I can see that the foam turned into dust.
I have removed all the excess debris...

Not sure how to get to the bottom of the grill and if there is a foam there as well...

Everyone says it is a good mic for lot of things and even B&H sells it for 340$ new!
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

It seems I can not find a service manual for RE16

I don't know and I am not sure if the mic has the foam both on the top and the bottom.

RE11 and 16 are supposedly similar.

Anyone knows how to clean out the rusty grill?
Old 6th August 2014
Deleted User
To clean out the rust, try a solvent (like WD40) and a toothbrush.
The RE-11 is the RE-16 without the "Variable-D slots". The DS-35 is similar in construction to those 2, as well.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks,

Does anyone know how to access the bottom grill part?
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Bump...

I am just wondering if the foam should be replaced on the top only?

Or there is one on the back?

Full Compass is selling both top and back foam for EV RE16

I just don't know how to access the bottom...and I don't see any foam underneath the bottom grill. A bit confused as I have searched the internet for this information...unsuccesful
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear

Well, to follow up on this, I have ordered the top and bottom foam replacement from Bosch.
I still haven't figured out how to access the bottom part of microphone, or at least I don't have super small allen key.

Anyway, I have put the foam on the top only. Microphone works well.
Compared to SM57 side by side speaking into it, I am hearing the difference and kind of finding EV RE16 to me bore balanced, more low frequency, and less sensitive to plosives than SM57

This will find a good use for hand percussion and such.
Old 4 weeks ago
running into the same issue. if anyone has dissassembly instructions please share.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Given what's posted, I'd be at least contacting EV to ask for info, and/or at least try to find the allen size. (I believe our local 'Amy Hardwares still have tiny tools like that..

It has been a while and things have changed at EV, but when they rebuilt both my bought-used RE20s it was still well worth the $$.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I had them rebuild my RE-20 back when I had it and found them really helpful. I imagine they still are.

I loved my RE-16's I had 4 for a while, along with the RE-20. Nice mics.... I'd buy replacements for them with more studio funds.

Last edited by mcintalker; 4 weeks ago at 04:54 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search