The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
OZ Mic selection Condenser Microphones
Old 10th December 2003
Gear Maniac

OZ Mic selection

Howdy Guys.
I am gonna be looking for a nice vocal mic for a new studio setup in the new year.
Anypone got any suggestions? I have 2kAU to spend and can sadly only afford 1 vocal mic ATM.
I am in Australia so the prices here vary a fair bit from what you can get in the states (i.e rode is cheap...everything else is REALLY expensive).
Any ideas? The only mic I can think of is the rode classic 2.
Old 10th December 2003
Lives for gear

I have a classic II, I know use it for front of kick...

Look if its for you at home in your own studio try what ever you can and see which works best for your voice.
What sort of mic pre do you have, maybe worth the time to upgrade that instead or as well... you could try JLM they are local to you for a new pre..

Soundelux come in via awave A u195 is in your price range although no tube is a nice mic.
Brauner
Gunter I do not know if he brings in the phantom C.
Blue as well.. I forget who brings them in Awave sells them..

Also try as well as the Rode classic and the new one K2 or whatever.

I would look at audio technica 4060 or 4050
And studio projects T3 and C3.

See which you can get in and try on your own voice in your own room.

Hope that helps..
Old 11th December 2003
Gear Maniac

Thanks Dave, I'll definately check those mics out.
I should have said this in my original post, It's not for my home studio, It's going to be for a small commercial operation. I just took delivery of a rack of 4 langevin AM16 mic pre's (Joe racked 'em), so the pre aspect is kinda taken care of...well, er, for the moment anyways... I own a fair bit of good outboard gear. I wish I could buy 3 different mics for vox but unfortunately the size of this operation just doesn't justify it.

Hey dave, How are the new rooms working out for you?
Old 11th December 2003
Lives for gear

"Thanks Dave, I'll definately check those mics out.
I should have said this in my original post, It's not for my home studio, It's going to be for a small commercial operation. I just took delivery of a rack of 4 langevin AM16 mic pre's "

Well if it's goina be a commerical operation go for the Brauner and or the Soundelux mics, cause most home studios and project studios have the others....some so-called pro studios have the cheap gear as well.
Bring back a little more class back into professional recording. Give the clients their money's worth.

Nick
Old 11th December 2003
Gear Maniac

Hey,

If you are chasing a mic in the South East of Queensland, give me a pm or something, I work for a music store which I am not going to name (in case it's out of code with forum rules), but we get pretty much everything that you could want, and I have tried pretty much everything that we have (and more). I am a microphone slut! I have been having a ball with a C414 TLII on my voice for the last week (suits my quieter stuff) but my main vocal bitch for more rock tunes is an SM7. I love the Classic II as well, I just don't find it as versatile as the C414. We have a bunch of AT stuff that I have been digging too, the 30 and 40 series. good ****. For that price range you could also get a Nuemann TLM 103, or get one of those R84 ribbons brought in from Mercenary or something. Actually, I might see if we can stock some of those...
sweeeeet....
Old 11th December 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by hammer
. I just took delivery of a rack of 4 langevin AM16 mic pre's (Joe racked 'em
i saw those on joe's jlm website. looks sweet, i hope it's working out for you.
Old 11th December 2003
Lives for gear

Rooms sound great... Just cost to freaking much
Need to get the website updated and I will push the place early next year.... Had my first solo freelance session in for a week.
Hope to get more

If its for a small studio.. Neumann TLM103 has a name badge on it although I would look at maybe a U195 instead for sound..
I think they are around the same price..
A AEA R84 would be nice as well.

What other mics do you have?
Sometimes I just use a Sm57/Sm58 for a singer..
Just brought a Handheld Neumann KMS105, band in all week has been using it.. For his voice he loves it..

Never will hurt to have a SM7 or a AT 4050 or 4060 around as well..

I do not know what the Brauner Valvet or Soundelux U99 are going for now. It will be a mic to keep for a while.. Still like my U99 a lot. Remember the OZ $ is high around US73 cents..
Time to buy.. A year ago we were getting US58cents..
Old 11th December 2003
Gear Addict

if the oz dollar is up that high (about bloody time! i was livin' there when it was .60us!), don't muck around! get the u195. sounds like that's what you can afford. maybe this'll help to sway you

http://recpit.prosoundweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=10016

informative, anyway. sold me.

ml
Old 11th December 2003
Lives for gear

You'll love the Soundelux U195....this one sounds good on male and female voice....you'll be inpressed.

Sorry if I was heavy with my post....I'm tired, maybe jealous of studios that use cheap gear and really sub sonic reordings on big selling CD and getting away with it.

Eg. Australian Idol and Hillsong

Nick
Old 11th December 2003
Gear Addict

hey nick. where in sydney are you? i used to live in newtown, actually AT nu-town studios, on king st., for a good portion of it. what studio's do you work out of?

ml
Old 12th December 2003
Gear Maniac

Thanks for all your input guys. I hadn't even considered the soundelux u195, but it certainly looks to be spot on for what I'm after. Nathan and Fletcher is selling them for 1150 US which basically works out only a few hundred bucks more than a street price classic2.. Awesome! Do you sell sounmdelux supaheef? If you do PM me, I'd kinda like to hear one b4 I put out the cash.

Thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated.

I haven't really tried the langevins yet, I only wired em in on monday. I debug and test the studio tomorrow so I'll find out then. I'm pretty excited about it though .
Old 12th December 2003
Lives for gear

Hammer
Unfortunately I live in Sydney, a bit far from the Cold Coast for u to try. You can get the Soundelux from AWAVE. Got mine for Aussie $2,200 inc GST. I know I could do better from the USA but it was easier gettin it from AWAVE at the time....but gee totally worth every cent.

MUDDY
I'm in Botany (near the airport) got a small studio there, mainly do Church stuff (Hillsong Church)and generally people with no $ like students
I make my money mainly hiring my gear out
PT HD2, preamps to other producers.

Nick
Old 12th December 2003
Lives for gear

Both the guys at awave and frontendaudio are pretty good at matching the US price.
Although remember you have shipping(fedex), stamp duty(5%) and GST(10%) and customs(~AUD$50) on things you bring in from the US..
Unless of course you try to send it as a gift or by normal US mail and hope it gets through

Although a lot of other stuff sold locally even with the above charges you can save yourself 40% and actually have it to you in 3-4 days.. Rather then waiting 6-10 weeks and paying more...
I know I am thinking of a royer R121, I will be getting it O/S next time as I waited over 10 weeks last time buying a SF12 local..
Old 12th December 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Dave how u going

Thanks for putting me onto the U195.....it's just sooo nice.

Nick
Old 12th December 2003
Lives for gear

I`ve read (I`m so ****in tired of saying that. I can`t wait till Ihave all this **** so I can speak from experience) a lot on these forums about the U195. It seems to be the kind of mic that works very well with a lot of stuff priced way higher. It`s the kind of thing where if your 10,000 dollar Stephen Paul modified Neumann U47 doesn`t work for **** on a particular voice the U195 might be the ticket. It`s supposed to be great on just about everything.
I`m planning on getting one of these pretty soon myself.

Kevin
Old 12th December 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Nick,

Good to see you were happy, now if i could get a pimp % off gear he eh eh... Sometimes just because it has a vlave does not mean its a better mic.

I have a list of stuff I want and a list of bills to pay.
So I will have to balance them out...
$ is real good want a few things wil see if I am bad or not..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search