The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Summing mixer or Upgrade Preamp?
Old 2nd August 2014
Gear Nut
Summing mixer or Upgrade Preamp?

Hey guys, if anyone's been following my recent threads you'll know I'm looking at upgrading my whole rig from an ITB set up with Focusrite Saffire Pro40 to an Antelope Orion with Burl Monitoring.

Originally I was looking at 3xOctopre preamps and an ISA828 then back out to a Burl B32 summing Mixer for tone control before a Burl Orca monitoring controller.

My budget has basically spiralled now I've been looking into adding Mics so my question is, is it worth loosing the ISA828 for another Octopre (I need 32 channels for tracking) and keep the Burl B32 or skip the summing mixer and get one nice set of 8 preamps?
Old 3rd September 2014
IMO, Octopre is mediocre at best. All the budget ff stuff has subpar conversion and subpar preamps.

What and where are you recording 32 tracks? What interface are you using that has 3 ADAT ins?
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Nut
I did end up with the B32 Summing Amp and 4x Octopre's. I do a lot of location band recordings at small/medium venues and often need 32 channels. I am now however looking to sell the focusrites as Antelope have released a matching 32 channel Mic Pre set in a 2U for the Orion32 which saves me 2 rack spaces in my mobile rig! (not to mention about 25kg in units and cabling!)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search