The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone recognize the snare on "She Drives Me Crazy"?
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't listened to the clip (though I probably heard it back in the day) -- but I love that process.
Literally a GS Post at it's Finest, I never heard it, saw it, touched it, played it, felt it, or plugged it in.....BUT yeah..I totally I get that sound Man as well as the process!
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

You can get it in an Akai XR10. You'll hear it right at the beginning of this vid...

or at 17 seconds into this one

Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
Google was broken, but I rolled up my sleeves and repaired it once more:

Classic Tracks: Fine Young Cannibals' "She Drives Me Crazy"

“I took the head off a snare drum and started whacking it with a wooden ruler, recording it through a Shure 57 microphone,” he says. “As I did that, I started twisting the hell out of the [API 550] EQ around 1 kHz on it, to the point where it was starting to sound more like a crash. I blended that with a snare I found in the Linn itself, which was a 12-bit machine, so it sounded pretty edgy to start with.” But the coup de grace for the sound was when Z pumped the processed and blended sample through an Auratone speaker set upside down atop another snare drum, which rattled the metal snares and gave the result some ambience and even more high end. The whole thing was limited slightly and then sent to a track on a roll of Ampex 456 running on a Studer A800 at 15 ips. Only a slight amount of reverb was added to the track later on. The sonic result was closer to a hollow wood block sound than any snare found on a conventional rock record, and in becoming, along with Gift's vocals, the signature of the song, it would go on to have many lives of its own subsequent to the single's run up the charts.
This seems to me to be one of those common "tall tales" from the studio, much like the original explanation of the vocal effect on Cher's Believe. I'm not saying it's not true. I wasn't there. Maybe it is and maybe its where Akai got the sound from or the idea for it. At any rate, you can get there with the Akai.
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWANG View Post
don't know about doctor z. david's brother was bobby z, the drummer in prince's band "the revolution"...
Yes, that's who I'm talking about. The guy in the scrubs was the keyboard player... It was so long ago...
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Yes, that's who I'm talking about. The guy in the scrubs was the keyboard player... It was so long ago...
The guy in the scrubs was Matt Fink who was nicknamed "The Doctor".

You got the personnel correct, just a little scrambled!

Regards,
Frank
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
The guy in the scrubs was Matt Fink who was nicknamed "The Doctor".

You got the personnel correct, just a little scrambled!

Regards,
Frank
I really should have know this stuff. Those videos RULED my Jr High years.
Old 24th July 2014
Isn't this a really dry snare for its time. I can easily imagine a different producer lay on a lot of reverb.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestgtr View Post
I absolutely LOVE that snare sound

it's kind of in the same league as the "man in the mirror" snare...if not in sound, in vibe

that high tuned smack...love it
The "man in the mirror" kick sound is awesome too. Anyone know anything about how that track was made?
Old 24th July 2014
I always loved that snare ... pretty sure it came out before the SR16 was released (I think I bought the first SR16 in New Zealand in 1990 - that song was recorded in 1989). Obviously a new drum machine sample set will be very influenced by the popular drum sounds of the day, and that was certainly one of them. Those AKAI white noise blasts don't sound remotely like it. Not sure if I totally believe the legend either ... it was probably more about the Linn drum sample than anything else ... who knows...
Old 24th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mordo View Post
Completely agree, although 20 years might not be long enough.
I was being generous.

I actually enjoyed myself musically during the 80s out in the clubs and basement dives but it was because there was a pretty vibrant outsider musician scene in the wake of punk.

Mind you, I was distressed and then ultimately bored stupid by what punk, itself, became, but there were a lot of interesting folks who decided in the aftermath of the late 70s to do things their own way and say screw the system, and I thought those folks made some cool music through the decade and beyond. But they didn't get on the radio or even close (except for some college stations, of course).
Old 24th July 2014
SWANG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
ah, yes. matt "dr." fink. still playin', still wearin' the scrubs...

Old 24th July 2014
Gear Addict
Sounds like

Alesis d4 which i used all the time
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWANG View Post
ah, yes. matt "dr." fink. still playin', still wearin' the scrubs...

Niiiice
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear
The snare sounds like cat farts. Catchy tune though.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Isn't this a really dry snare for its time. I can easily imagine a different producer lay on a lot of reverb.
My guess is that the mix and arrangement could've been influenced by something like INXS "Need You Tonight". Which is pretty dry.
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
My guess is that the mix and arrangement could've been influenced by something like INXS "Need You Tonight". Which is pretty dry.
And very.... LINN Drum Created Sound/Sampled w/ Overdubbed Real Drums compressed to the Last degree possible! Ultra fast VCA Channel comps with the Sampled Drums composed at 96-ppq sequencing, tight as tight could be! I imagine if you took away that near 20% of reverb it would be more in your face!
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Nut
+ another 1 on hate it.

Liked the story though. Remembered being surprised when I first read it there was such a complex story by what just sounded like an ugly snare sample. But like the other poster - I wasnt there, it may well be true. Never really been drawn to a "lead snare" sound.
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear
The snare reminds me of Michael Jackson - "Dangerous".
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

So, out of interest, people who are moved to "hate" the sound...

What do you object to?

If you were there and someone said "OK, let's have a drum sound which isn't 'normal', lets grab the listener with something a little more creative"...

What would you have done better?
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Ransom View Post
So, out of interest, people who are moved to "hate" the sound...

What do you object to?

If you were there and someone said "OK, let's have a drum sound which isn't 'normal', lets grab the listener with something a little more creative"...

What would you have done better?
Personally, I think the snare fits the song. Not sure if I would have touched it after that. Sure I commented that the snare sounds like cat farts, but that doesn't mean i hate it.
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Addict

I think the story about that session sounds like a load. This was a big time for MIDI sequencing and it sounds like a married sample that is band passed with the resonance cranked up. Have to give it an A+ for originality though.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Hmm. I'm favouring the idea that someone would have more likely used one of the easy ways to make this sound.
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Ransom View Post
Hmm. I'm favouring the idea that someone would have more likely used one of the easy ways to make this sound.
Yeah I mean it sounds kind of unique (i guess) but it definitely wasn't the only super compressed, noisy, less tonal snare ever used in a late 80s or early 90s track. Upbeat RnB of the era (new jack swing, etc.) seems to use this snare sound a lot, for instance. I wouldn't be surprised if about 90% of the "drives me crazy" snare comes from the linn sample they layered (that is if any of the story is true).
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBHan View Post
I think the story about that session sounds like a load. This was a big time for MIDI sequencing and it sounds like a married sample that is band passed with the resonance cranked up. Have to give it an A+ for originality though.
I agree, that's one whopper of a story.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I think it was heavily influenced by Cameo 'Word Up'.
Actually the whole groove and production of 'She Drives Me Crazy' was heavily influenced by 'Word Up'.
^^^This. Shortly after "She Drives Me Crazy" hit the airwaves I was doing a session with drum programmer Sammy Merindino, who had done the drums on Cameo's "Word Up!" and Sammy was clearly riled by the snare sound on "She Drives Me Crazy", at one point saying "I wish I'd copyrighted that sound."

Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
Bill Bruford used a high tuned piccolo snare on his solo releases ie: "One of a Kind", that is along the same sonic lines as this sound (which I've always loved).
Captain Pedantic wants to point out that Bill used a traditional 5" (or 5.25") x 14" snare drum on those classic late-1970s recordings, not a piccolo snare. He did tune it up quite high, and played every backbeat as a rim shot; made for a wonderfully distinctive "TONK" sound. I too have always love that sound

...way more than the "She Drives Me Crazy" sound!
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Guru

The sound designer side of me doesn't hear that backbeat as a conventional drum at all. More like an upside down plastic bucket miked from a ways off in an empty two-car garage.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

I think this thread shows just how important a snare sound can be to the "sound" of a song. David Z is one of my favorites. He started with Prince and Morris Day. He was very influential on the Minneapolis Sound that Prince gets most credit for. He's one of those guys that has a "sound".... like David Lynn. Listen to any of David Z's successful records. He pushes the envelope, in a sense, by risking those crazy drum verbs. Not many producers are willing to take that chance. Many of us can easily play it safe because we don't want our record shelved. Listen to that Big Head Todd record. Sounds strange when you really analyze it.
(stepping off soap box) haha
JJ
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
Oh **** sorry. I didn't think I'd be able to find the answer on google, should have just looked myself and not made you do it though.
Thanks a lot for not looking it up...
those days I had hair like a Wookie and started out to spin vinyl for a big audience...
I should listen to the stuff on myshelf(_s|elf) more often...

Glad you brought this up..TY

Old 29th July 2014
Gear Addict

I had always though it was a sample of somebody popping a paper bag or stomping on an inverted Dixie cup.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_p View Post
I had always though it was a sample of somebody popping a paper bag or stomping on an inverted Dixie cup.
yeahh that's the sound! stomp on an inverted polystyrene cup in a parking garage.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search