The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
That Sheen Condenser Microphones
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

mastering through Great and Interesting sounding gear!
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Sheen, in truth is ultra high frequency hiss, in the megahertz range.
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple of Light View Post
Megahertz? So tinfoil hats would definitely lead to a loss of sheen?
Old 1st August 2014
Tin foil has a kind of sheen on the backside.

sheen
noun 1. a soft luster on a surface.
"black crushed velvet with a slight sheen"
synonyms: shine, luster, gloss, patina, shininess, burnish, polish, shimmer, brilliance, radiance More
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Head

Outboard gear certainly helps

My master bus

Thermionic Culture Phoenix ->
Kush Audio Clariphonic

The compressor for some glue vibe and Clariphonic for same nice highs.

When I start with this set up I find myself taking much easier with the plugins.
Before I had Clariphonic I tried to get the needed highs with same times quite hard treble boosts or maybe middle cuts. They get you ok results when you get them right but the mix allways sounded forced in some way.

With outboard gear its also very easy to over do it but when you get it right the results are much more pleasant. (Sheen ?)

Coming from complitely ITB it took some time to learn. My first attempts werent that great with outboard gear.

And don't forget gain staging so you don't loose clarity before the signal comes out from your DAW.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple of Light View Post
Mega hurts to read this.
Old 3rd August 2014
Gear Head

After making several references to Dire Straits Brothers in Arms as a show piece "Sheen" Album I wrote an email to Neil the actual Engineer of the "Brothers in Arms".

I was extremely happy to have received a very nice response.

After clarifying he was happy for me to publish this. Here is the response i got.

Quote:
"My motto is "It's not the Gear...It's how you Hear"...And yes, I did have an absolutely tremendous advantage of tracking that record on a beautiful vintage Neve 8078 in Montserrat, mixing on an excellent SSL E series with alot of additonal Neve channels. But alot of the "sheen" you're talking about is not only built into the sound of the instruments themselves (so great in this case), the players, the mics, and the arrangement. ****I am friends with Al Schmitt, and one thing I realize (without taking one molecule away from Al's genius) is that he is working with artists with a great sound, in great studios with great equipment, great arrangements etc. All of the brilliant guys we love and respect (and I honestly do not consider myself one of them....) depend upon a great source. That being said, I do work hard to try and put a "sheen"on my work (not all that popular these days, actually !)-----it's just the way I hear music, and is not appropriate for everything. It involves buss eq (10-12K broadband boost), track eq (280-400Hz dipping), reverbs and placement. It's not really quantifiable, and I'm not even sure what I did on Brothers in Arms except record it as I wanted it to ultimately sound (mixed on Auratones, by the way). I'm really humbled by your appreciation ----- I can only hear what I did wrong on that record---as with all of my work ; )
best always, N "
Thank you Neil for this contribution!

The only bit I dont agree with is this:

Quote:
(and I honestly do not consider myself one of them....)
Old 3rd August 2014
Really humbling to hear that someone of that stature ALSO only hears what he didn't like at the time!

You'd hope after nearly 30 years, he'd be able to forget all that stuff, and just enjoy the record!
Old 3rd August 2014
Gear Guru

There is a lot of information, drum mic's, etc. on Wikipedia.
Brothers in Arms (Dire Straits album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neil also worked on 'Love Over Gold', another stunning record. With even more sheen in my opinion, maybe because it was all analog?
Attached Thumbnails
That  Sheen-straits-records.jpg  
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
There is a lot of information, drum mic's, etc. on Wikipedia.
Brothers in Arms (Dire Straits album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's interesting MK contacted ND after hearing his work on Mike Manieri's Wanderlust, which is a beautiful sounding record with incredible performances as well.

Imho a case could be made that Brothers in Arms has the most perfect guitar tones ever recorded...(yeah a ridiculous statement, but nevertheless gorgeous guitar sounds)
Old 3rd August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Neil also worked on 'Love Over Gold', another stunning record. With even more sheen in my opinion, maybe because it was all analog?
The "Cal" soundtrack album is another nice one.
Old 3rd August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
The "Cal" soundtrack album is another nice one.
Thanks, I'll have to check that out!
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Mega hurts to read this.
You know, I can hear a pin drop, and a 5.6878 mhz frequency pulse
at a a DISTANCE OF 10 YARDS...it was a metaphor for something I cant otherwise explain, I can sense anomalies & imperfection in sound, even if I cant accurately describe it verbally...so go take a pill...
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Maniac

UAD trick

I have a trick I used with UAD plugins to give my mixes a bit of "magic sheen".

Use one of the tape delays (the re201 or the ep34, my fave is the 34) across the entire mix buss.

Tempo sync the delay with a fairly short delay time (if you can) and bring up the delay level until you can just hear it & then knock it back a really small amount.

This trick can all of a sudden bring a track to life & give it a glossy sheen.

There are all sorts of reasons why this can be a bad idea, but I strongly recommend that you try it - it works surprisingly well on some tracks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search