The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
John Mayer's Continuum Vocal Chain
Old 6th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano View Post
I am in a quandary. I think the album sounds great. Very warm and classic. I don't find the songs boring very appealing and I am a rocker at heart. heh

I read that Continuum was done with a U47 as mentioned earlier except for In Repair which was a SM7. My problem is I have some extra cash. I was going to jump for a Peluso 2247. I already have a Blueberry and C1.

Do I get the 2247LE or get a SM7 and spend the rest on plugins? Looking warm full tone. Do they differ that much. Sell Blueberry?

Keep saving and don't waste your cash on those Peluso 2247le honk city mics.
Keep the mics you have if you want to get closer to the sonic gradificaton of the JM tracks, then spend wisely and get OTB.
Old 6th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano View Post
I am in a quandary. I think the album sounds great. Very warm and classic. I don't find the songs boring very appealing and I am a rocker at heart. heh

I read that Continuum was done with a U47 as mentioned earlier except for In Repair which was a SM7. My problem is I have some extra cash. I was going to jump for a Peluso 2247. I already have a Blueberry and C1.

Do I get the 2247LE or get a SM7 and spend the rest on plugins? Looking warm full tone. Do they differ that much. Sell Blueberry?
Goodbye Blueberry. Peluso...yuck. Pearlman TM1... divine. : )
Token disclaimer: YMMV
Old 6th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
Goodbye Blueberry. Peluso...yuck. Pearlman TM1... divine. : )
Token disclaimer: YMMV
Go for the Pearlman TM1. You won't regret it.
Old 7th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by limestone View Post
Don't know about the vocal chain...

But I think 'Vultures' is probably the phattest sounding track of the year. The low end on that track is amazing...

Would love to know how they did his vocal as well though...

Cheers,

Louis
thumbsup
amazing Brauer!!
Old 7th May 2011
Lives for gear
Ancient thread, before I joined this forum. But last Christmas I got the Steve Jordan drum instructional DVD and there are some bits in there where he has a really fat and loose snare sound. More than tuning it down, he has damping loosely stuck on the top. On one cut there's a bunch of stuff, kind of a hyper version of the old wallet trick.

I remember talking to Robben Ford about the recording of Tiger Walk and how Jordan and Drayton kept bringing out these different kits for every song until they found the vibe they wanted. Although most of that album, like the live Mayer Trio Try album has a really high and tight "church" snare going on.
Old 26th December 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
The guitar sound and the production are definitely good, but the songs bore me. And the songwriting. I think he has gone downhill, as I love his first album, and the lyrics are 1000 times more clever and thought provoking.

My opinion, of course. y.m.m.v.
you've kinda been jumped on in this thread, but i've agreed with you more than i haven't.
i watched a video on youtube where john mayer's songwriting teacher at berklee (robert pattison) mentioned that some of the songs on Room For Squares were songs written for/during class. he definitely had the influence of a strong teacher and many years of songwriting on his side for that album. a few were co-written, with clay cook (neon) along with couple other people i believe. RfS had the blessings of all the aforementioned, and it was all put onto one album that i really love. (i'm a sucker for DeLa's bass playing for sure)

as far as the rest of mayer's albums go, Heavier Things and Battle Studies are definitely the weakest. i rarely ever visit them, at least intentionally. Songwriting was lackluster, no shining guitar parts. it was produced/mixed nicely IMO, but nothing to write home about.

The live album Try! was disappointing from a listening standpoint. phenomenal musicianship, but nothing grabbed my attention on a sonic level. good lord, can they all play though...

Continuum really shone as far as the trifecta of songwriter/singer/guitarist goes. I'm a fan of blues/guitar driven stuff, and Mayer et al brought their A-game when recording this album. solid, solid album. as far as pop albums go, this goes up there as one of the greats.

my 2 cents, sorry if i'm drudging up an old, old thread.
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Head

big up mr. ferla!

also for john scofield's "that's what i say" which is also procuced by steve jordan and recorded around the same period

great musicianship and honest recordings: as in the good old days...
before replacement, autotune and all the trickery came in and chocked the music

steve jordan, yu the boss, peace bro!
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I had 'Room For Squares' on rotation for a few days in my car player (have the vinyl as well). I feel this is one of the greatest pop records of the last 15 years or so. The song writing and lyrics are most excellent, and I mean every song on there.

John may have achieved a more polished sound since then but I don't think he has since written a single song that can hold a candle to anything on here. The hungry, struggling artist has left the room. I wish it weren't so.
+1!

Room For Squares is one of those (very few) albums which I tend to go back to again and again. When the drums kick in on Why Georgia..oh my..gives me goose bumps every time. And the chorus on Love Song for No One...excellent 'freedom'-y vibe.
Unfortunately it seems as though John has lost all his songwriting skills and feeling for hooks and melodies on the later albums (Continuum is still good though). Hanging out with all those hot chicks must have really assassinated his muse. Too bad.

/D
Old 16th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldhrimnir View Post
+1!

Room For Squares is one of those (very few) albums which I tend to go back to again and again. When the drums kick in on Why Georgia..oh my..gives me goose bumps every time. And the chorus on Love Song for No One...excellent 'freedom'-y vibe.
Unfortunately it seems as though John has lost all his songwriting skills and feeling for hooks and melodies on the later albums (Continuum is still good though). Hanging out with all those hot chicks must have really assassinated his muse. Too bad.

/D
Wow, I couldn't agree less with this. To me, Room For Squares while a great record, and yes having the hunger and excitement in the tracks... still felt young and sophomoric at times. Catchy and energetic yes, but I don't ever feel the urge to listen back to that record. Heavier Things was better to me but I didn't like the recording. It was a bit distorted overall and my guess is that this was not the result of the mastering as mentioned earlier in this thread (years ago at this point haha), but the mixes of JJP.

On Continuum there is a feeling of timeless song-craft mastery, both in composition and performance. It really sounds like a classic record. The harmony parts are so well organized it makes me jealous, and Johns restraint and tastefulness on guitar is really top notch. I think time may show this record to be his shining moment as an artist.
Old 17th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kano View Post
Wow, I couldn't agree less with this. To me, Room For Squares while a great record, and yes having the hunger and excitement in the tracks... still felt young and sophomoric at times. Catchy and energetic yes, but I don't ever feel the urge to listen back to that record. Heavier Things was better to me but I didn't like the recording. It was a bit distorted overall and my guess is that this was not the result of the mastering as mentioned earlier in this thread (years ago at this point haha), but the mixes of JJP.

On Continuum there is a feeling of timeless song-craft mastery, both in composition and performance. It really sounds like a classic record. The harmony parts are so well organized it makes me jealous, and Johns restraint and tastefulness on guitar is really top notch. I think time may show this record to be his shining moment as an artist.
Continuum is a great album, no doubt about that! Both the song writing, arranging and production. But it is a bit more lifeless and less vivid than Room for Squares IMO. And a bit too much autotune at times..especially on 'Vultures'.
Can't really say anything about Heavier Things, I haven't listened that much to it really.

/D
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear
Auto tune on Vultures? I didn't even notice it, where on the falsetto chorus?
Old 17th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotonic View Post
Exactly. It's horrible.

/D
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear
Yeah, I always thought that was done on purpose. I thought they were trying to make the falsetto sound like an instrument. Maybe not. But it seems intended to blend like a pad with the strings there.

The guy does have good pitch and intonation, I think his guitar playing helps that.
Old 18th February 2012
Gear Head

I guess I need to go back and listen to his first record at this point... it's been a long time
Old 28th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotonic View Post
definitely hearing autotune on both "vultures" and "stop this train."

Regardless, it is generally a great-sounding record for digital. Not crazy about the bottom end, as it is too beefy for my taste, but that's a matter of aesthetics and many will disagree. Master is a little hot, as well.

Fav song is "The Heart of Life." have not listened to his newer stuff. hopefully, unlike his taste in women, his lyrics have improved...lol

Last edited by burns46824; 28th October 2015 at 10:26 PM..
📝 Reply