The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do you guys get mix feedback?
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Maniac

How do you guys get mix feedback?

Hey guys, I'm interested in how you guys go about getting mix/demo feedback and how you'd improve this process?

Particularly around how publicly you share stuff too (e.g. everything to soundcloud).

Disclaimer: Yes, this question is backed by a commercial interest: I'm building a startup for this, it's in my sig. It's still early and I'm keen to do something really cool around getting mix feedback, so trying to get as many ideas as possible, apologies if this feels like I'm trying to abuse this forum .
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear
Generally, the only people I share mixes with are the people whose work I'm mixing, since they're the ones paying for the project. Occasionally I'll share something with one of my friends whose opinion and ears I trust if I'm unsure of something, but that's pretty rare these days. Generally through high-bitrate mp3s sent via a file sharing service like Dropbox or Wetransfer, since that way I can control the quality of what I'm sending, which you lose out with on Soundcloud.

I think the most important thing for something like a service you're offering would be to have a network of trusted people who have a proven track record of delivering commercial-sounding works, because frankly, I don't care what some shmuck whose skills I don't know thinks of things. That, or have it operate like some circle of people who you know and approve who also use the app, and what you post can only be listened to by those accounts unless otherwise specified.
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnytofu View Post
Generally, the only people I share mixes with are the people whose work I'm mixing, since they're the ones paying for the project. Occasionally I'll share something with one of my friends whose opinion and ears I trust if I'm unsure of something, but that's pretty rare these days. Generally through high-bitrate mp3s sent via a file sharing service like Dropbox or Wetransfer, since that way I can control the quality of what I'm sending, which you lose out with on Soundcloud.

I think the most important thing for something like a service you're offering would be to have a network of trusted people who have a proven track record of delivering commercial-sounding works, because frankly, I don't care what some shmuck whose skills I don't know thinks of things. That, or have it operate like some circle of people who you know and approve who also use the app, and what you post can only be listened to by those accounts unless otherwise specified.
Interesting, yeah I know what you mean, I wouldn't want random chumps telling me what to do without knowing them. Currently it's either public 'share with the link' type thing or private.

The circle idea is interesting, might look into that more. Something like a trusted group? Could make for an interesting dynamic.
Old 4th July 2014
A few forums that I've been a member of for the past 10 years, I'll post a soundcloud link there.

But that's usually when the mix is 99-100% done to make sure it translates over many different setups.
Old 5th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
A few forums that I've been a member of for the past 10 years, I'll post a soundcloud link there.

But that's usually when the mix is 99-100% done to make sure it translates over many different setups.
Do you find it that useful when you post on the forums?
Old 5th July 2014
Gear Guru

the client is the only person I solicit feedback from unless there is some sort of technical "issue", in which case, I might ask a trusted engineer or producer colleague. For the most part, I trust my own mix judgement and I find most external input to just be a distraction and a source of unnecessary paranoia.

It may seem strange, but think I would be more open to soliciting feedback from people on a song I wrote than on a mix I did.
Old 5th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by te-problematique View Post
I wouldn't want random chumps telling me what to do without knowing them.
Actually....I do want random chumps telling me what they think of my stuff.

I have no pro aspirations, but I have been on a prolonged mission to make my music "listenable" by learning how to track and mix it well, so I take every brazen opportunity to put it in front of anyone who might give it a spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
It may seem strange, but think I would be more open to soliciting feedback from people on a song I wrote than on a mix I did.
ahhhh...an excellent distinction. I am a songwriter at heart.
Old 6th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Here's the thing, everything has their own opinion of what "good" is. And, my clients are paying me for MY mix (based off of what they've heard of my prior mixes), so I do what sounds good to ME and make sure the client's happy. Now, if you are wanting feed back on whether or not your mix sounds like a certain album, or radio hit, reference that song or album and A/B it with your mix, and YOU make the assessment. That being said, there are forums, even here on GS, that offer listener feedback. Good luck!
Old 6th July 2014
Gear Maniac

The songwriter distinction is really interesting, and totally understandable - it's originally why I built Songcatcher, but to share ideas privately with some friends.

I'm currently contemplating a groups feature that would allow people to chose which groups they share publicly with if they wanted, these answers are all pretty awesome. Hypothetically, if I was to build a feature that allowed people to form basically ad-hoc crit groups for mixing and songwriting and then share stuff with them, would you guys be into that?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search