The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preamp suggestions? Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd July 2014
Preamp suggestions?

Hey folks, I'm in the market for a good all-rounder, dual-channel, tube preamp. Budget is in the $800-2800 ball-park.

It'll front-end an RME Babyface and Studio One Pro V2 DAW. My current mics are Neumann TLM103, AKG C3000 & C1000, SM57 & 58. (I'll also be looking to add another LDC in the near future.)

Any recommendations gratefully appreciated.
Old 2nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Clean or are you wanting a touch of color?
JJ
Old 3rd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by druhms View Post
Clean or are you wanting a touch of color?
JJ
Colour

Sorry for not making that clear.
Old 3rd July 2014
Lives for gear

The classic vintage V72's, V72a's, etc... are very popular. But, if you're looking for something newer and probably more reliable, the Universal Audio units are pretty damn good, and flexible! Also, Peavey made a 2 channel unit a little while ago that sounded great for the money! I know I know...PEAVEY!!! but if you can swallow the cursed name, it really was a good pre. Reminded me a lot of the RCA pre's.
Good Luck!
JJ
Old 3rd July 2014
UA 2 610 has a lot of rich color. The Manley Stereo Tube is also is capable of a nice color (not quite as much as the 610 but they are different animals anyhow) and sounds great in general.
Old 3rd July 2014
Yep, so far the UA 2-610 is the one that seems to be calling me...
Old 3rd July 2014
Here for the gear

If you really wanna push your budget, the Pendulum MDP-1 is around 2.8k. Great dual-channel tube mic pre/DI. The 610 is also great
Old 3rd July 2014
Here for the gear
I got a Stereo D20 from Triton Audio a while back and love it. Great value, and really nice guys to deal with...excellent support.

It's a v72 style pre, but you can switch between solid state and tube. Good range of tones, nice tight bass and smooth top end.
Old 3rd July 2014
Lives for gear

A pair of Tabfunkenwerks V78s
Old 3rd July 2014
Get a seventh circle audio rack with 2 N72 and 2 A15s. Four channels of sweet Neve and API for only $1700
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

I own the Vintagedesign, DMP there is also a cheaper version TK-Audio done by the same designer. Its some kind of a 1073 clone. They sound superb and the service is first class. My DMP is working without any big trouble since 7 years now.

I haven't yet found something they sound bad on, but you need to love some kind of old school touch….

If money is an issue they also sell mono units.

REVIEW: TK Audio DP1 and Vintagedesign DMP

Using a front-end you like is a good idea…..
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

Tube preamp right? What are some reasons you are leaning towards a tube unit? I'm just curious what you are expecting from the preamp? Or, is it pure curiosity and interest in a new flavor for you to work with?
Thanks,
JJ
Old 5th July 2014
Thanks for the further replies, folks. Out of curiosity I thought I'd pose the same question to the good people over at SOS. It gave me much to consider, resulting in a change of perspective. I'm not allowed to link to the thread there so in summary: I'm not a pro audio-eng but primarily a musician/singer/songwriter with a home project-studio recording mainly pop/rock. My voice is a male in the E2-E5 range. The reason an external tube pre originally appealed is because it can sound thinnish, so was looking to thicken/warm/beef it up a little.

I've decided for now to stick with my TLM103 and experiment more with it's position and placement; then with the Studio One plug-ins - EQ, controlling the dynamic range with compression; and adding width/body with reverb and delay. This would also make better use of my already good quality and transparent Babyface pres.

If still unsatisfied after that I'd then look into trying out alternative mics.

Once confident I've found the right mic for my voice, if needed I could then experiment with adding 'color' from saturation devices like tape emulators, transformers, subtle distortion effects etc.

If I were to also use an external pre I'm now leaning more towards a modeling hybrid type, due to their greater variety of sonic palettes.

However a question I do have is with regard to the use of saturation devices, tape emulators, transformers etc - do engineers in general favour plugin software over outboard devices, or is there no overall preference here?
Old 5th July 2014
Gear Nut

Why tube?
I recommend a gtq2, amazing allrounder dual channel pre eq.
Old 6th July 2014
Lives for gear

Exactly! These days, when I think of beef, my first thoughts are of several NON tube options in the Neve/API style of preamp. There are tons of builders making very thick and warm mic pre's these days.
JJ
Old 7th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why tube?
More headroom.

I would look into the Manley Core.

This could be the secret weapon in your rack.

Cheers
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search