The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Get Megaphone Vocals By PEDAL?
Old 23rd June 2014
Get Megaphone Vocals By PEDAL?

Hi, there. I'm new and stuff but... I want to know how to get some sort of "megaphone" sound from tweaking with amp settings and actual pedals. I don't run my mic or instruments through a PC, so I was wondering if there are any cheap instruments in which I can do this? I have a BOSS Fuzz Pedal, a Danelectro FAB distortion pedal, MicroKORG, a BOSS Distortion Pedal, and a Marshall Stack most likely from the late 90's. If any of that is a help, I would be interested whether or not I can get a megaphone like effect that is good enough. I'd appreciate it for any help. Oh, and if anyone knows a cheaper method to getting good detune effects, that'd be much appreciated too. Thank you. c:
Old 23rd June 2014
Gear Guru

I have seen singers use a toy megaphone (or a real one set to low power) and point it at their vocal mic.

a big part of the sound is the filtering effect of the speaker - all the highs and lows are rolled off - leaving mostly mids. If you took out the lows and highs with an EQ, you would be most of the way there. The brittle tone of the horn speaker helps. But even your Marshall amp speakers should impart some hardness to the sound.
Old 23rd June 2014
TC Helicon make a bunch of pedals for vocals at various price points and features. You really need a mic preamp for a typical stage mic, so it's most convenient to get something purpose designed for vocal mics.

Cheaper options also worth considering is the Boss twin pedal one. Also Line6 Pods - many of them have XLR mic inputs, and the POD HD models are amazing multifx units capable of just about anything if you have the skills to use them. For flavors of distortion and character effects and pitch detuning I rate these highly.

The other option is to get a Shure Green Bullet or similar mic which is designed for blues harp players. These are hi-z mics designed to plug straight into a tube amp, so they work straight into stompbox pedals too. They have a unique character and style, and are perfect for megaphone sort of sounds. I would recommend Tech21 Sansamp stuff for vocal distortions - so many flavors.

Other options worth consider would be using cheap consumer products - maybe an old cassette recorder or boombox or something that has mic or line inputs - plenty of cheap junk that you could adapt for lofi sounds and then mic them up. You would get more of the speaker distortion and cabinet sound. So many options to suit so many singers and so many songs - hard to know what will work for you.
Old 23rd June 2014
Is this for live or for recording? You can achieve all these effects and detune etc with your DAW and/or free plugins ... there is no end to how much or how little money you need to spend to get these effects. For live it's a bit harder ... what kind of detune FX do you want? Octaves or pitchshift chorus/doubling stuff?
Old 23rd June 2014
Lives for gear

I'll second the Shure Green Bullet. When combined with a distortion pedal (Tube Screamer is great for this!) into a Marshall you should get something similar to a megaphone sound. But be aware that it is not possible to mount the Green Bullet to a stand unless you use gaffer tape or something.

If stand mounting isn't important you could also just get a real megaphone... They are pretty cheap unless you need the most powerful models. I got one for 15 euros from Thomann. Not very powerful (5w) but more than enough for studio use. They also have a slightly more powerful model (15w) for 29 euros. If you're in the USA I'm sure shops like Radio Shack have megaphones at a similar price.
Old 24th June 2014
Deleted User
Ibanez LF7 Lofi
Old 26th June 2015
This is more towards live, but as well as for recording. Sorry for the late reply, haven't been around.
Old 26th June 2015
As for detune, I'm thinking that real subtle detune that is almost a split smooth chorus; type of detune vocalists used alot during the 80s.
Old 26th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.F.Sorrow View Post
I'll second the Shure Green Bullet. When combined with a distortion pedal (Tube Screamer is great for this!) into a Marshall you should get something similar to a megaphone sound. But be aware that it is not possible to mount the Green Bullet to a stand unless you use gaffer tape or something.

If stand mounting isn't important you could also just get a real megaphone... They are pretty cheap unless you need the most powerful models. I got one for 15 euros from Thomann. Not very powerful (5w) but more than enough for studio use. They also have a slightly more powerful model (15w) for 29 euros. If you're in the USA I'm sure shops like Radio Shack have megaphones at a similar price.
I use a Shure Green Bullet into a distortion pedal for this same effect. Some things to note though. The Shure 520DX has a volume control on it where the mic connector used to go. So with that mic, you can't put it on a mic stand. The older, and in my opinion better sounding, Shure 520D and older versions does have threads where the volume knob is and CAN be mounted to a mic stand. There are also some similar mics to the Green Bullet out there that look and sound in the same ballpark.

Also note that the Green Bullet is an omnidirectional mic. That means it likes to feedback on stage. Add a distortion pedal to this, and it REALLY likes to feedback on stage! So it can pose a ton of problems.

I have my 520D attached to a stand with the old cast iron base. I drilled some holes in the base and installed a on/off switch and some jacks so that I can turn the mic on and off by stepping on the base. I don't mind it feeding back so much when using it, it's part of it's charm, but I can't stand it feeding back when I'm not using it. I've also got some LED's hooked up to the switch so I can see if it's on or not.
Old 1st July 2015
Alright, sweet! Pretty cool, man. I'll look more into it. I've actually thought about getting one before, just never really heard it or how it flows, but the information you've supplied me with about its feedbacking and such helps, thank you!
Old 1st July 2015
Another vote for Green Bullet through distortion pedal into a 5w amp with small speaker. Just did this the other day, and we used a Fender Champion 600, dimed, with a OD808 for just a touch more hair. Worked perfect.
Old 1st July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Another vote for Green Bullet through distortion pedal into a 5w amp with small speaker. Just did this the other day, and we used a Fender Champion 600, dimed, with a OD808 for just a touch more hair. Worked perfect.
I did a similar thing recently on stage. Using a 50s Astatic mic through a Dabelectro Dan-Echo into a Fender Champ reissue. The volume on the amp was set low (5 watts can be surprisingly loud) and the amp was placed behind a curtain.

As others have said it's very easy to get annoying feedback this way. But I much prefered the sound of the mic going through an amp as opposed to direct into the board. I learned that 2k is the magic frequency - at least for my setup. Once it's been attenuated almost all the way things sounded pretty good - or better set fuzzy in a good way without feedback and overbearing nasality.

In the studio I mostly do the opposite: Astatic mic directly into a preamp like the UA 6176 and further treatments in PT.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search