The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Yamaha HS8S Subwoofer - Necessary with a pair of Yamaha HS8s?
View Poll Results: To sub or not to sub?
Add sub
9 Votes - 56.25%
No sub
7 Votes - 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th June 2014
Here for the gear

The Yamaha HS8S Subwoofer - Necessary with a pair of Yamaha HS8s?

Hey everyone - I was wondering about whether or not it would be necessary to add a Yamaha HS8S (subwoofer) to my system if I already owned a pair of Yamaha HS8 monitors - it seems to me like the gain might not be worth it due to the fact that the HS8 monitors already have a pretty good low-end response. I've attached the performance graphs of each to the post so that you can take a lot if you'd like. I'm always looking to create a more accurate sonic image, but with consideration to how much it would cost (especially relative to the existing system) to add the sub, I'm considering just leaving it alone.

Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
The Yamaha HS8S Subwoofer - Necessary with a pair of Yamaha HS8s?-performance-graph.jpg  
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

Absolutely not. I put the FFT analyzer on my HS8s today with pink noise and there is TONS of bass down to 40Hz. If you need to feel 20Hz sub, then OK, but the HS8s have a whole whack of bass and it's very tight too.
Old 14th June 2014
I use it with great results.
Old 14th June 2014
Jai guru deva om

Nothing is necessary, and there are a few things to consider when adding a subwoofer to a setup.

1) Phase can be very difficult to deal with and you must get the positioning absolutely right

2) You should use an SPL meter to get the crossover set at the right frequency, and the sub at the right volume (to get a flat response and the least dips / peaks / nulls)

3) A sub can allow a crossed-over nearfield speaker to deal more with midrange and possibly deliver more volume, not having to deal with sub-bass

If the idea behind a sub is to impress (or for fun) then sure, a sub is a no-brainer as it will rock the room.

If the idea is to properly extend the low frequency response and you're willing to implement it right for a flat response rather than just bringing the boom, a sub could be a wonderful addition to the toolbox.

This goes for any sub setup, not Yamaha only.

War
Old 6th January 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Nothing is necessary, and there are a few things to consider when adding a subwoofer to a setup.

2) You should use an SPL meter to get the crossover set at the right frequency, and the sub at the right volume (to get a flat response and the least dips / peaks / nulls)

War
That would be my question: How effectively can the sub remedy a large null in a low-frequency range?

The Yamaha monitors do have great bass down to 50Hz or so, but the room is another matter. The best monitors will not provide accurate bass if the room has problematic modes and boundary interference.

In my case, I have the HS8 monitors, and experience the predictable uneven low bass response. Even with 4 large bass traps, and 3 full-range traps in the room. A large null valley from 75-100Hz, with a severe null at 85Hz. That valley varies from -7 to -20dB! Can a subwoofer like the HS8m do any good in such a scenario? I tried adding 2 more huge bass traps as a test, and that helped by 5-7dB, but I don't have space to keep those in the room.

Anyone with experience in these combinations? Thank you in advance. I can post REW results and room floor plans if so desired, but maybe I should start a new thread in that case (?).
Old 7th January 2016
Here for the gear
I use HS8s and a lower cost sub that I use to check low end on mixes. Since I do many electronic mixes, I need to be sure I'm not overdoing the low end on home or auto subs. If I did just country or similar, I wouldn't use a sub to mix with.
Old 7th January 2016
Lives for gear

I suggest going for the sub. Having one makes a big difference when checking out the low end sub punch of the Kick and Bass GTR and how they relate to each other. I say a sub is a must have.
Old 7th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presocratic View Post
That would be my question: How effectively can the sub remedy a large null in a low-frequency range?

The Yamaha monitors do have great bass down to 50Hz or so, but the room is another matter. The best monitors will not provide accurate bass if the room has problematic modes and boundary interference.

In my case, I have the HS8 monitors, and experience the predictable uneven low bass response. Even with 4 large bass traps, and 3 full-range traps in the room. A large null valley from 75-100Hz, with a severe null at 85Hz. That valley varies from -7 to -20dB! Can a subwoofer like the HS8m do any good in such a scenario? I tried adding 2 more huge bass traps as a test, and that helped by 5-7dB, but I don't have space to keep those in the room.

Anyone with experience in these combinations? Thank you in advance. I can post REW results and room floor plans if so desired, but maybe I should start a new thread in that case (?).
This was precisely why I got a sub for my HS80Ms. Not because they didn't go low enough, but because using a sub let me optimize the acoustics. I was fighting a floor ceiling null even after trapping the living bujesus out of my room, and in the end being able to position the sub for the low frequencies made all the difference.
Old 9th January 2016
Gear Maniac
Thanks to all for comments....I will buy the sub tomorrow and try it out.

Meanwhile, I tried something else, which helps a bit in my room at least. Against the recommendations in the documentation, I put the HS8 speakers as close as possible to the wall (just leaving enough room for the cables and thus for the heat fins to radiate as well). This did not correct the null, but did substantially reduce low end ringing/boom. This was immediately audible as the sound became much more "dry" and tight. I checked with REW; the new graph showed far less low frequency ringing in the waterfall (time domain) view. Worth a try...
Old 9th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presocratic View Post
Thanks to all for comments....I will buy the sub tomorrow and try it out.

Meanwhile, I tried something else, which helps a bit in my room at least. Against the recommendations in the documentation, I put the HS8 speakers as close as possible to the wall (just leaving enough room for the cables and thus for the heat fins to radiate as well). This did not correct the null, but did substantially reduce low end ringing/boom. This was immediately audible as the sound became much more "dry" and tight. I checked with REW; the new graph showed far less low frequency ringing in the waterfall (time domain) view. Worth a try...
Yes.. same experience here. I have a broadband absorber behind each speaker, and they're pushed almost directly against the front wall. It virtually eliminates SBIR effects from the front wall.
Old 9th January 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrovesound View Post
Yes.. same experience here. I have a broadband absorber behind each speaker, and they're pushed almost directly against the front wall. It virtually eliminates SBIR effects from the front wall.
I actually first had a broadband trap behind each as well, and then had recently switched those with full-range bass traps (all from GIK). However, just last night I tried without any traps there at all, which allowed me to push the speakers right back against the wall; surprisingly, the performance is the best yet in my room.

Nothing wrong with the traps; GIK makes excellent products, and they will work well in another position (possibly the ceiling), but traps of that depth simply were not helping in my case. Traps on the rear wall (also GIK, but the Monster traps) do help a lot.

So in my case, not traps behind the speakers works better than traps, as it allows the speakers to be closer to the wall.

If you have a chance, perhaps test this also in your situation and see if sound is more/less accurate. I would be curious to hear about your results.
📝 Reply