The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
No overheards, whaaat? Sounds great!!
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Maniac

No overheards, whaaat? Sounds great!!

Today I made this recording just to try out my new guitar amp and bass pedal to see how it sounded in a mix, so I recorded some drums first and then layed down the bass track. Not until then did I realize i forgot to switch on the phantom power for my overheads, dead silent. I thought what the heck, I'm just doing this to try my new amp anyway.

I did have my Neumann TLM102 as a "kit mic" 10 feet from the drums or so, very low, pointing almost at the floor. Also kick, snare and two toms, five mics in total. I did a quick mix and think it sounds pretty great, a perfect sound for some bands! I managed to get some stereo image from the panned tom mics and a little ambience from a Bricasti impulse.

Does anyone else record this way? I'm probably gonna do it again!

I'll upload the clip here if you want to listen, sorry for the bad solo-guitar :-)
Attached Files

testlåt2.mp3 (2.54 MB, 1680 views)

Old 10th June 2014
KFW
Gear Nut

Sounds awesome!
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFW View Post
Sounds awesome!
Thank you so much! :-)
Old 10th June 2014
Lives for gear

Sounds fantastic! Great capture. Please give us some details. That recording sounds nice and spacious. I could feel a real nice sense of depth almost like I could reach back into the recording and place where the borders were. Very nice. So come on. Spill the beans. I'm trying to get into this kind of sound so any info is appreciated.

P.S. I mixed a reggae record a few years ago and they sent me multis with no OH's. I was like wtf? Turned out to be one of the best mixes I ever did. The band was off the hook though so there ya go!
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Addict

Thats bloody kick a#s sounding . You got some real talent going there , epic playing !!!
Old 10th June 2014
Nice sounding indeed! Room size and type? I mean the real room... not the impulse.
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Thank you so much!!

Ok, some details then. It's actually not very impressing gear.

The room is small and low ceiling, but with a weird shape so no standing waves, the ceiling is arched and nice hardwood floor. Really basic treatment in a few places, but the room is pretty live.

The drum kit is a really cheap 70s maxwin, but with new heads, a decent snare (premier 2000) and ok cymbals. I think i got the tuning right finally. The kit was crazy cheap, used of course.

Kick drum: JjLabs SM58 knock off into GAP Pre73 dlx, into apogee Quartet.
Snare: Shure 545sd into Apogee Quartet preamp.
Toms: AKG d440 into Presonus d8 pres via adat to Quartet
Room: Neumann TLM102 into Presonus d8. Placed very low, about 10 feet in front of the kit, aimed at the kick drum.

Bass: Fender Mustang 1968 into Sansamp Bass Driver di. Bought this today, I LOVE it!

Guitar: Fender Strat, Gibson SG and cheap no name telecaster. My amp (also new) is a handwired clone of Fender Champ but with 10" speaker, chinese no name, sounds fantastic! Miked with Sennheiser 421 into Gap Pre73 dlx.

I think the nice roomy thing is a lot thanks to the reverb bus with a short ambience ir from bricasti reverb, and i compress that reverb bus pretty hard.

Everything is recorded and mixed in logic X with only stock plug-ins.

Did i miss anything?
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Maniac

The room looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
No overheards, whaaat? Sounds great!!-image_7191.jpg  
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

Dude, like the poster above said...you got mad skillz. I can hear your good "tasteful" playing coming through on this recording. Reminds me a lot of the latest Arctic Monkeys sound. Just beautiful. Love it. Thumbs-up!
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Nut
He forgot to tell us that he replaced drums with Trigger
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

Great stuff Jon ! very earthy organic but punchy sound - you prooved we don't need perfect drum rooms as like the mega studios . In fact I think smaller rooms like this work great for this style it has a real mojo of sorts . I once was doing a mix where the OH's where off so I was just using the stereo room mics for the cymbals and it sounded great with the mixed in direct mics . Cool stuff and very good job on all the tones !
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

Very cool!
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumnbass411 View Post
He forgot to tell us that he replaced drums with Trigger
I can assure you that no samples were used. The only "cheat" is that i used Logics flex time to tighten up some of the drum hits, didn't have time to do a perfect take.
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

...can't stand stereo overheads these days. So sick of that sound.

I record a little bit like this. Very little mics, mono OH and mono Room and close mics usually.

Sounds good bro! I think the cymbals could maybe have a little more detail, but I think it sounds good. Nice job.
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk sanchez View Post
...can't stand stereo overheads these days. So sick of that sound.

I record a little bit like this. Very little mics, mono OH and mono Room and close mics usually.

Sounds good bro! I think the cymbals could maybe have a little more detail, but I think it sounds good. Nice job.
I agree, but since this was a mistake and the only mic picking up cymbals was at kick height pointing down, I'm happy they sound this decent :-)
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear
very nice!
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

I like everything about it! Not sure about the drums by themselves but as you already said for this sort of music it's perfect. Also tasteful playing and very nice sounds. Very very cool!
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

This is among the best "test" recordings I ever heard here on gearslutz.
Congrats!
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

^ that is indeed, for ****'s sake!

Cheers man, that stuff sounded sooo damn good.
I'd have put more highs in the guitars but that's just me.
Also I didn't think an SM58 type mic could give you this result on the bass drum.

Damn you're good man
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spambot_2 View Post
Also I didn't think an SM58 type mic could give you this result on the bass drum.

Damn you're good man
Well the mic doesn't sound like an sm58 at all, its a very bad knock off, but on kick drum it's fantastic! I just put it in the kick some time ago because that was the only mic i had left over, and I was blown away, best kick mic i ever tried!
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

I record with just close mics all the time. No room mic, no OH. Sounds fine to me. I also record with only one mic from time to time. Move it around until everything sounds balanced. That also sounds fine to me. What I never do is close mic everything, put up two OHs and a room mic.
Old 11th June 2014
Here for the gear

It is sick.
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Guru

Nice work … i do the same thing … not forget to turn on 48v (but i have done that too ! haha) i love that sound - very Ringo Cymbals as the Bloom …

right on sir and dig your room ..

cheers john
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Nut

So great!
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

Sounds great to me.
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Head

I have mixed feelings about sansamp stuff, sometimes i feel like their pedals sound too scooped, but I'm digging where the bass driver is sitting your bass track in this mix.

Wish I had your drum chops bruh! Nice warm rock recording.
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodone View Post
I have mixed feelings about sansamp stuff, sometimes i feel like their pedals sound too scooped, but I'm digging where the bass driver is sitting your bass track in this mix.

Wish I had your drum chops bruh! Nice warm rock recording.
It is scooped, but that's what usually works in a mix for me. I usually have to cut 200-400 hz on bass and enhance the sub, but with this pedal I don't have to eq very much any more. The low end this pedal can produce is brutal! I admit it might sound a little to much on its own but its in the context that matters.
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

Fantastic sound. Bravo !
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

that is some recording! wow! so from now on f*** the overheads?
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joniverse View Post
It is scooped, but that's what usually works in a mix for me. I usually have to cut 200-400 hz on bass and enhance the sub, but with this pedal I don't have to eq very much any more. The low end this pedal can produce is brutal! I admit it might sound a little to much on its own but its in the context that matters.
Totally works in this context. Have you ever checked out the Bass Big Muff? It's my favorite bass effect box I've ever purchased. All the fuzz but it preserves the bass frequencies so it still cuts.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search