The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What mics are these (1966)? Condenser Microphones
Old 7th June 2014
Gear Addict

What mics are these (1966)?

I just came across the following on youtube:

Klaus Doldinger 1966 NDR (G) Albert + Emil Mangelsdorf, Volker Kriegel - Bluesy Sound - YouTube

The interesting part starts after the introduction. This is German (NDR = "Nord Deutsche Rundfunken" if I am not mistaken), 1966. The stands that look vaguely like streetlights are the mics, I assume? Out of sheer curiosity, anyone know what they are?

(And yes, that is a bass saxophone).

Regards, Christine
Old 8th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by connloyalist View Post
I just came across the following on youtube:

Klaus Doldinger 1966 NDR (G) Albert + Emil Mangelsdorf, Volker Kriegel - Bluesy Sound - YouTube

The interesting part starts after the introduction. This is German (NDR = "Nord Deutsche Rundfunken" if I am not mistaken), 1966. The stands that look vaguely like streetlights are the mics, I assume? Out of sheer curiosity, anyone know what they are?

(And yes, that is a bass saxophone).

Regards, Christine
Man that is a pretty swingin' band. I had no idea they were playing like that in Germany in 1966. "Deustcher Jazz" is alright on that track.

I was going to say KM84 but doubled checked and they don't show up before the '70s.

Those mics look like they could be a KM56s on a custom stand for TV. The KM56 was 3 pattern and you can see that on placements they seem to using it OMNI.

my 2 cents. (Canadian, which is only about 1.8 USD anyway)

BF
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cata0040.PDF (513.2 KB, 65 views)
Old 8th June 2014
Gear Addict

I think you've got it! Thanks. Curiosity satisfied

So these are tube mics (didn't FET start appearing around that time?) with Tuchel connectors coming off the power supply. Were those connectors reasonably standard at the time?

Regards, Christine
Old 12th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Fets were the first transistor but they were not commercialized until much later. I think the late 60s is when I remember seeing them in the trade publication.

Not sure about the Tuchels

B
Old 13th June 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBF View Post
Fets were the first transistor but they were not commercialized until much later. I think the late 60s is when I remember seeing them in the trade publication.
I thought it was the other way round - transistors came before FETs.

That's why Sennheisr developed the RF condenser (that used transistors and not FETs) and why several other microphone companies (including Schoeps) also started developing RF condenser mics.

It was only when FETs came along very quickly afterwards that all except Sennheiser stopped development of RF condensers and just used their old valve (vacuum tube in American "English") designs, replacing the valve with an FET.
Old 14th June 2014
Gear Maniac

By first I mean at Bell labs. The first transistor made was a fet. They were not commercially practical and so bipolar transistors came to market first.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search