The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genelec 8040 VS 1030
Old 3rd June 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Genelec 8040 VS 1030

I want to express my personal experience with Genelec’s 8040B and 1030A and possibly prevent other people from having the same huge disappointment.

I was using the 1030A’s the last 10 years and I was a very satisfied with them. The only thing that bothered me was that I wanted a bit more information on the low end as the 1030’s frequency response is 55 to 18.000Hz.
So I sold them and I felt it was natural to move with the same brand on their latest top model 8040B. Boy, how wrong was I?
After purchasing the 8040B I had nothing but troubles! From day one they sounded muddy-bass heavy, I mean flabby and undefined on the low end. On the contrary, 1030s were super tight on the low end and very well defined.

Another weak point of 8040s is that their midrange sounds mute-scoop, like there is always curtain in front of them. Also I’ve read in many threads that the 8040s sound sterile and I’ll have to agree with that, they sound very dry.
The only areas that 8040s are dominating the 1030s is that their tweeters are a lot smoother, not fatigue after long sessions, and also their stereo image is exemplary, much better than the 1030s.

Bottom line is, after 5 months I’m unable to mix correctly with 8040s, especially on the low end. I’m unable to compress and EQ properly, and it’s so hard to make the right decisions as the bass frequencies are muddy like dough.
All these months that I’m working with 8040 I was unable to “FEEL” the music, never get the “Vibe”. With 1030s it was always exciting working with them !

Now, before anyone claims that 8000 is a step up to 1000 series or that the 1000 series was flattering, hyped, inaccurate, etc, bear in mind that all of my mixes/tracks with 1030s translated extremely well, almost perfect on various systems like cars, hi-fi stereos and various clubs. I’ve also checked many tracks of mine in two professional studios, one with Barefoot micromain 27 and the second with Focal sm9, on both studios my tracks sounded awesome, with no flaws at all.

Now whatever I mixed on 8040s translated awfully on other systems, and I think it’s logical as I never felt comfortable to make the right compression and EQ decisions.

From a design point of view I think they are amazing, very futuristic and obviously ahead of its time, especially if you consider that they came out on 2004. But sonically I would put them along with speakers worth 200 to 300 euro each, not because they sound bad, but because they just don’t work!

Last but not least, I didn’t start this thread to condemn or bash Genelec and the 8000 series. I know many people swear by them as they say that their mixes translate great, although I really wonder how?
I was a huge fan and supporter of Genelec the last 10 years and I was praising 1030 and 1031 wherever I was. I had nothing but positive comments for their speakers. But not anymore, I’ve learned the hard way that a successful model/series is not certain that it’ll be updated with the same success, even from a pro established company.

So, if anyone’s using the 1030s and thinking to move on with 8040, please make sure to listen to them at your audio dealer or better in your studio if you can. Otherwise you might be unpleasantly surprised! Personally I find that 1030s and 8040s are worlds apart!
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

40 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sorry they did not work in your room. I agree the top end on the 8000 series was improved over the older series. In my room the mids were not scooped but even with the highs and low's. Killer image on the music as well. But if they don't work in your room and what your accustom to, I would sell them and perhaps try something like the Focal Solos's. Monitors are a personally thing and even if the switches in the back don't help in your room, I would not keep them and just move on.
Old 5th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I agree the top end on the 8000 series was improved over the older series.
Yes I agree also, they’ve “improved” the top end but they destroy everything else! Fine tune adjustments on 1030’s was easy as a breeze, with 8040s I feel more like a blind man driving on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Monitors are a personally thing and even if the switches in the back don't help in your room, I would not keep them and just move on.
The only switch that is really working is the desktop LF switch (-4db @ 160Hz). If I leave this switch off/flat, the speaker sounds so terrible, that the only usage that I can find for it is to use it as a garbage can.

I’ll have to sell them first to get new monitors as I’m on a tight budget right now. The problem is that the interest for these monitors on the second hand market is zero, and I don’t wonder why!
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
After many years of using other monitors
I switched back to the Gen 1031A and 1029A with Sub
Like I used in the 90s, could not be happier
Familiar like an old friend.

Point is don,t buy into the hype with monitors
If something so crucial works for you don't change it

One thing that instantly put me off the newer gens is the
Rear facing bass ports.
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have had 1031's and 1030's over the past 15 years and just picked up a pair of Focal Twins, and am having a hard time adjusting to them myself. I listened to the 8040's over the years at various times and walked away disappointed. I thought they sounded exactly as you described. "Scooped" was the word I thought. The bottom was heavy along the the highs too bright and the mids nonexistent. I still have my 1030's and am tempted to hook them back up, but if I do, I'm afraid I may throw the Focals out the window. In the back of my mind Adams keep calling me. I think they pick up where Genelec left off with a nicer high end and a decent bottom. The problem with those monitors for me is that the bottom can be a bit all over the place. I like the Adams for listening pleasure. They are great for that. I'm not sure about critical listening though.

Good luck with your monitor search. You are definitely not alone in your thoughts here.
Old 6th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK... So, I decided to power up the 1030's in the same position in the studio as the Focals. Blown away is all I have to say. I think I had just gotten tired of the Genelecs. Yes, the Focals sound great but the stereo image and mid range response on the Genelecs are just there. They are "brittle" compared to the "smooth" top end of the Focals, but I kinda like it. Basically, I'm used to it. Over a decade and a half with Gens, and it's hard not to like the inherent sound of them. I had listed them in the classified section, but I don't know after a second listen. I couldn't believe the bottom end response on them also. They are very close to the Twins. I know that sounds crazy, but it is true. Please don't flame me. I'm just speaking my peace, and that is the Gens first gen are still pretty bad ass.
Old 9th June 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaby987 View Post
OK... So, I decided to power up the 1030's in the same position in the studio as the Focals. Blown away is all I have to say.
I envy you my friend! Unfortunately in my case I’ve sold my 1030s to buy 8040s! The biggest mistake I ever made! Now I’m stuck with 8040’s which sound terrible as I have already said.
To be honest I’m surprised that they still produce the 8000 series….. it’s pity that still they can’t realize that the old series was superior to 8000.
Old 10th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bit View Post
I envy you my friend! Unfortunately in my case I’ve sold my 1030s to buy 8040s! The biggest mistake I ever made! Now I’m stuck with 8040’s which sound terrible as I have already said.
To be honest I’m surprised that they still produce the 8000 series….. it’s pity that still they can’t realize that the old series was superior to 8000.
Best advise is to play CD's that you know well through the 8040's. Learn the sound of how a good mix sounds on them, and just work with them if you won't be selling them on Ebay. Many people use the 8040's and 8050's and love them. I am not here to convince you they are good monitors but if your sticking with them, work on the position (width between each other), distance (between you and them), and EQ settings in the back. I found reducing the highs a little helped them sound more pleasing in the top end, and boosting the lows helped in my studio.

Here is a review which outlines the differences between the old and new Gen's. Genelec 8040A & 7060A
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Best advise is to play CD's that you know well through the 8040's. Learn the sound of how a good mix sounds on them, and just work with them if you won't be selling them on Ebay.
I’ve listened countless times all of my referenced material, the bottom line is that these monitors sound flabby and nowhere near to the tighter older model 1030A. If you ever have the chance to compare 8040 & 1030 side by side I’m sure you’ll understand what I’m talking about.
To me is really strange that the new series (8000) sounds so different from (1000). I think they were trying to outperform their successful old model but simply it didn’t happened. Their technology “aluminum minimum diffraction enclosure, directivity control waveguide, AB amplifiers” looks very fancy on papers, but for me it fails in practice.

Quote:
Here is a review which outlines the differences between the old and new Gen's. Genelec 8040A & 7060A
After 10 years in the market I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the only review on the net for the 8040 is only from sound on sound
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
11bit did you change the eq on the monitor with dip switches? Maybe they'll tighten up. I must admit its taken me a couple weeks before getting used to my Focals, plus I think they had to burn in quite a bit. They sound like totally different monitors now. I had eq'd them on the back but once they opened up, I put them back to flat and "bam", they're in pocket.
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Addict

Good post.

Bummer. Sell them on and buy some 1030s again! They're cheap.

I still have my 1030As. Had them years and years. Got a steal on ebay with them and haven't ever felt the need to upgrade. I second what bigbaby says: check your dipswitches. They make a HUGE difference in different applications; free-standing; meter bridge etc, Focal or Genelec. I had my switches wrong for about a year with the gennys. I changed them and bam.

I'm getting some Dynaudio BM6As to sit under them, but they aint going nowhere =)
Old 12th June 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaby987 View Post
11bit did you change the eq on the monitor with dip switches? Maybe they'll tighten up. I must admit its taken me a couple weeks before getting used to my Focals, plus I think they had to burn in quite a bit. They sound like totally different monitors now. I had eq'd them on the back but once they opened up, I put them back to flat and "bam", they're in pocket.
Please note that I’m using them for over 5 months now. I have tried all switches on and off and possible combinations. In all situations there was always something missing from the mix (less bass or too much bass), I was never satisfied with the results. As I said on post #3 the only switch that is working (and it’s always turned on) is the desktop LF switch (-4db @ 160Hz). Sincerely if I leave this switch off/flat, the 8040’s sound so bass heavy/flabby that the only usage that I can find for them is to use them as a garbage can.

The 1030s with all switches off/flat, in the same room, at exactly the same position, they sounded FANTASTIC! Tight and punchy! You could hear clearly the transients for fine tune adjustment, this ain’t happening with 8040s, they are very undefined.

Regarding break-in, when I first bought the 8040s I was so frustrated by their poor performance that I was sure that they need some time to break-in. So I contacted Genelec to check the time period they need to break-in. They answered me that their monitors don’t need at all to break-in as the modern materials that they use make them sound perfect straight out of the box.
Old 12th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
their monitors don’t need at all to break-in as the modern materials that they use make them sound perfect straight out of the box.
LOL - or not, as the case may be. Good marketing, though.

I tried the 8040s and didn't like them, either. It's funny you use the term "scoop" as scooped is exactly how I described what I heard with the 8040s. It may have been the room, but I doubt it.
Old 12th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think a lot of these " flabby bass " issues
Might be attributed to rear LF ports.
Old 12th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
I think a lot of these " flabby bass " issues
Might be attributed to rear LF ports.
I'm about to drop on an EVE AUDIO sub (TS108) which has no LF ports.
Old 12th June 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have both 1031s and 8040s and while they sound different, at the end of the day I don't feel that either is easier to mix on, it's a matter of adjusting to the 8040s. Same goes for most new monitors. In fact, after mixing on 1031s for over a decade, and hearing the 8040s for the first time - calibrated - in one of our rooms, I immediately bought a system for home. I was that impressed with them. So during the day I'm on 1031s (and my ears are very confident with them) but at home I'm on 8040s, and, perhaps surprisingly, there's little guesswork between them. There's more high end detail in the 8040s (which is often referred to as 'too bright'), and I do understand the scooped comment (though I don't feel that it's necessarily a detriment) but in practice, after getting over the learning curve, I find that I can make mix adjustments just as easily on either, and perhaps more easily on the 8040s. But the learning curve is the key. And so is calibration. They may not be ideal out of the box and some fine tuning might be required.

Another thing to keep in mind is the 1030 effect - where EVERYTHING sounds good through them. That's been the ongoing stigma about Genelecs. But that's bad for mixing if you allow yourself to lean against that. It can make us lazy engineers. With the 8040s, that effect isn't nearly as prevalent, and so you have to work to make things sound more balanced and finished. But that's the entire point of monitors, and the end result will be improved if you're forced to work to improve the mix. I'm not suggesting that anyone should have to fight with their monitors, but they should be presented with an accurate indication of their mix and, in my opinion, the 8040s tell more of the story and my mixes benefit from that.
Old 16th June 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is the 1030 effect - where EVERYTHING sounds good through them. That's been the ongoing stigma about Genelecs. But that's bad for mixing if you allow yourself to lean against that. It can make us lazy engineers.
I’m sorry but I’ll have to disagree. As I have already said on my first post, all my mixes made with 1030s translated extremely well on various sound systems. I have also checked my mixes in two professional studios which their main monitors are focal sm9 and barefoot micromain27. Translation was FANTASTIC on both studios.
Bear in mind that with 1030s have been made countless records during the 90s-00s and 10s, and still they seated on many professional studios around the world. So how wrong can they be?

My point is… 8040 & 1030 sounds very different which I think they shouldn’t! 8040s should have only sound better
I think it’s no coincidence that although 8040s (8000series) are 10 years on the market, I find more and more users, pics, videos, using 1030A these days

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/new-in-9/

Old 16th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Regarding break-in, when I first bought the 8040s I was so frustrated by their poor performance that I was sure that they need some time to break-in. So I contacted Genelec to check the time period they need to break-in. They answered me that their monitors don’t need at all to break-in as the modern materials that they use make them sound perfect straight out of the box.
That's really hard to believe any monitors don't need a break in period. They just blew smoke up your arse. I don't get that. Not trying to jack your thread, it's taken me a month for my Focals to burn in. They sound fantastic now. I say that because I do understand that super frustrated feeling when you put your money where your mouth is and ............(wait...................wait for it..............................keep waiting for it...) well, get the picture. I think I would start looking at my options at this point.
Old 16th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
My point is… 8040 & 1030 sounds very different which I think they shouldn’t! 8040s should sound better.
They should not sound better but more accurate.

It is obvious though the 8040's are not for you. I love them personally and like the 8050's even more. But hey that is why we have so many options to choose from. I also do not hear a recessed mid range just one that is not pushed out.
Old 17th June 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The 1000 series was a huge success and they sold a ton of them, and people (like myself) still use them daily, so of course they're going to be in more videos than the 8 series which are newer by many years. As far as what's "better" -- beside the fact that that term should be thrown out with yesterday's milk because mileage and tastes will vary, there are too many factors to title a winner. But as mentioned above, they're more accurate, which some will describe with words other than "better" and in many cases they ultimately just won't work. I'm sorry to hear that that's your situation.
Old 18th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braincoral View Post
Good post.

Bummer. Sell them on and buy some 1030s again! They're cheap.
I don't think so... on ebay (Europe) prices are varying from 900€ to 1200€ depending the condition. Surely not cheap for a monitor that is 10 to 20 years old
Old 19th June 2014
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
hi . I have got 8040b . and really like them. but like you say low end isn't its strength. as for highs they sound good in my room and trasnslates well in other systems. they do sound a bit dry but that kind of helps see problems I think with the track in my case....
I am going tomorrow fix the low end to buy either a genlec 7060b sub or adam a77x...
I am not sure which one yet. my main point is to fix the low ends ...
but adam frq goes to about 37 hz I think which decent enough and its a 3way monitor which would give me different view of the track. I heard it has a more flattering sound which could be nice to have beside genelec with its drier sound .....
this way I could mix to very different good monitors and hopefully if things sound good on this 2 it would be good anywhere???
personally it took a bit time to get used to the sound of genelec bottom end and be able to mix on it.
instead of selling them for 6-700 maybe keeping them and get second pair monitor could be the key if they are very different I think. how big is your room? maybe they are just to much for the room and have you done any acoustic treatment like bass...and fixing the early refelction ......
but than again everyones ears work differently....
Old 30th June 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
They should not sound better but more accurate.
Well, sincerely I don’t feel that way at all. As time goes by I’m feeling more and more that these monitors are unbalanced, nothing sounds as it should on them, always something’s missing or exaggerating in the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
So during the day I'm on 1031s (and my ears are very confident with them) but at home I'm on 8040s, and, perhaps surprisingly, there's little guesswork between them.
Strange, half-finished projects that I had made on 1030s and sounded GREAT, on 8040s they sound terrible, very muddy on low end and undefined. You might say that 8040s are showing me the truth, but as I said above all my mixes with 1030s translated fantastic, so 8040s must be wrong. Can you please confirm that projects that you’re making in 1031s are sounding very close on your 8040s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alib View Post
but like you say low end isn't its strength. as for highs they sound good in my room and trasnslates well in other systems. they do sound a bit dry but that kind of helps see problems I think with the track in my case.
This sterile/dry sound that they have, sounds very weird to me and I don’t like it. It gives me the feeling that I’m listening music in an anechoic chamber (although I’ve never been). This dry sound wasn’t existing on 1030s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alib View Post
how big is your room? maybe they are just to much for the room and have you done any acoustic treatment like bass...and fixing the early reflection
I have a treated room, and I said above the 1030s with all switches set to flat, in the same room at exactly the same position they sounded AWESOME. Unfortunately this ain’t happening with 8040s.
Old 1st July 2014
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Dude, the 8040's are not for your ears and your room. Just sell them and take the loss. Start searching for other monitors. Places like Vintage King let you try out monitors and they have great service.
Old 1st July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Can you please confirm that projects that you’re making in 1031s are sounding very close on your 8040s?
Yes, that's what I'd said in the post you quoted: there's little guesswork between them as they sound similar.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Dude, the 8040's are not for your ears and your room. Just sell them and take the loss. Start searching for other monitors. Places like Vintage King let you try out monitors and they have great service.
Indeed, that's the end game here. They're clearly not making you happy in your room so get rid of them.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
My friend I’m aware that I need to change speakers as they sound wrong to my ears from day one.
I wasn’t seeking opinions to change my mind, I started this thread because of my huge frustration with 8040’s and maybe prevent other people from passing the same disappointing path.

The point is that I jumped from the older model to the new model of the SAME BRAND and I was expecting this to be an upgrade. Unfortunately not only they fail to meet my expectations but they made my life difficult.
With 1030’s I was working happily every day with great results, with 8040’s I simply can’t work, they sound peculiar/weird and I don’t feel confident with them.

When people saying that 8040s or the 80000 series are great speakers, my hunch is that they have never heard/worked with 1030s or the 10000 series. I strongly believe that if 1030’s were available on the market nobody would buy the 8040’s. Put them side by side, the difference is OBVIOUS.

After 6 months with 8040’s it’s still a big surprise to me that the newer and more expensive model, designed with modern materials/technology sounds so different (worse) from the older successful model.
Old 1st July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm another one that prefer 1030 to 8040. May be 1031 are a little bit harsher, but I only need to atenuate it down by 2dbs and it's fixed. Very old monitors but still great ones in the game (well, they still can be found as Genelec HT206B) .
Old 1st July 2014
Deleted 7f9cade
Maybe try going for the 1032's?

Much larger and more power. Could be to large for the room but any lack of low frequency information you missed on the 1030s will definitely be there. And Damn they just sound so good. They are almost more like audio microscopes than speakers. Amazing critical listening speakers.

Again. Definitely much bigger, 10 inch woofer, but in my experience having listened and worked on all of them, the 1032, 1031, and 1030 all sound the same just differing in low end extension.

Im a freelancer at a facility that has a bigger room with 1032s, and smallish room with 1030s then a medium sized room with the 8050s. I think 8050s are pretty much the same as 8040s just a slightly larger woofer.

I really really dislike the 8000 series. Granted i've only listened/worked on the 8050s I have not heard any of the smaller sizes. I assume its the same principal as before, just less low end as you go smaller.

In my opinion, just throwing out an idea. Hope you get it solved soon!
Old 2nd July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ienjoyaudio View Post
Maybe try going for the 1032's?

Much larger and more power. Could be to large for the room but any lack of low frequency information you missed on the 1030s will definitely be there. And Damn they just sound so good. They are almost more like audio microscopes than speakers. Amazing critical listening speakers.

Again. Definitely much bigger, 10 inch woofer, but in my experience having listened and worked on all of them, the 1032, 1031, and 1030 all sound the same just differing in low end extension.

Im a freelancer at a facility that has a bigger room with 1032s, and smallish room with 1030s then a medium sized room with the 8050s. I think 8050s are pretty much the same as 8040s just a slightly larger woofer.

I really really dislike the 8000 series. Granted i've only listened/worked on the 8050s I have not heard any of the smaller sizes. I assume its the same principal as before, just less low end as you go smaller.

In my opinion, just throwing out an idea. Hope you get it solved soon!
Never got on with the 1032 s personally
Found them lacking in mid detail , scooped sounding to my ears
📝 Reply